www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boating trip. Advice??
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:50 pm 

Hello friends,
One of the members of my wife's book club has invited all of us on her river boat for a get together later this month. I think its a pontoon from how my wife has described it. There should be about 6-8 of us attending. My wife doesn't know how long it will be. I assume there will be some food and drinks. At minimum, I will need to stay hydrated because of the heat and humidity.
I am not sure about attending. First, I don't know any of these people. Second, I looked on the web about a bathroom and it looks like its barely large enough to fit a person and there is no way I can change. I know I will need to change because I will need to stay hydrated. I am leaning towards not going but I also want to support my wife because her friend has been very supportive for my wife and her stresses.
Advice about what I should do? I am kind of overwhelmed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:53 pm 

Breakout the MegaMax (or equivalent), add a big booster and a PUL pant over that and have a great time! Would be a good idea to minimize liquid intake a bit but still have a good time, that protection should handle even heavy voids for 6-8 hours. Then enjoy, good diapers make a great, fun life possible!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:32 am 

Ahoy there

Boating trips try and switch to cloth diapers 1) easier to wash and dry around the boat 2) if you happen to fall overboard cloth diapers don’t drag when wet been there done it got the t shirt with disposables! 3) if you can try and establish if the boat is in a marina if so will have a shower block for changes and laundry facilities 4) don’t be embarrassed you have nothing to be ashamed about enjoy your boating experience!

Have a great time!

Greenbank

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:03 pm 

Aye aye captain
You raise some good considerations like getting in the water. I also don't want to change when I am onboard. So I like the idea of using a megamax with a booster but I wouldn’t be able to get un the water. Would a cloth diaper offer the same degree of protection? And what do I do with a cloth diaper after I get out of the water? I assume that I would have to change when I get out. Maybe its too much for me to try and have protection AND get in the water.

How would you manage the cloth diaper and get in the water if you were me?
Thanks friend

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:45 pm 

If you wear protection of any kind, getting into and out of the water will be a hassle. You might consider telling your host/hostess about your predicament, to facilitate management. Good luck. I am really curious about how you manage. My brother is an avid sailor but I have been afraid to accompany him on the water.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:06 pm 

Ahoy there

You can try incontinence swimwear I have the shorts and find them great link below!

https://www.incontinencechoice.co.uk/sw ... gJ0EPD_BwE

Incontinence does not stop me from doing the sports/hobbies I enjoy with the correct protection happy days ahead!

Greenbank

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:22 pm 

Thanks for the links to the incontinence swimwear.

Premium disposable vs Cloth diaper vs Incontinence swimwear

This is what I gather so far

Incontinence swimwear: Designed for fecal incontinence. It appears that the designers assume that a urinary accident will just go in the water and the product is not intended to absorb it. This may work for when I am in the water. The question is what do I do when I am in the boat.

Premium Disposable: Good for being in the boat and likely won't require a change. Will be a problem if I go into the water

Cloth Diaper: Can be a good option for the boat. Not sure how this will help me on the boat after I get in the water.

I will ask my wife to inquire about the bathroom access and whether I can change into different clothes (lounge vs swim) on the boat. Keep my fingers crossed that they have a larger bathroom or a room to change.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:51 pm 

look in to where they doc the boat and see about asking them to maybe going back to shore for a break i would think they would not mind to do this for you most pontoon boats i have seen do not have bathrooms on them anyway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:53 pm 

I want to report back about the great time that I had boating this past weekend.
The pontoon did not have a true bathroom. It was more like a commode.
There were several couples that actually showed up - some knew the host quite well and others like myself were more or less introduced for the first time.
To keep it simple, I chose not to swim. This way, I did not have to worry about changing my diaper before and after the swim. I wore a premium diaper from Northshore with a booster (I think its called a megamax). My shorts and hawaiian button down were pretty baggy. I kept a booster or two in my wife's purse as an emergency.
In fact, most of the guests wore swimming trunks but did not get in the water. We had plenty of cocktails and food and interesting conversation to keep all of us entertained. I watched what I drank and ate.
We were on the water for about 6 hours. I changed the booster after we docked (in the truck) and changed into a dry diaper at a restaurant on the way home.
I had a lot of fun and made new friends.
In fact one of the other husbands is scheduled for a robotic prostatectomy so I was able to share some of my experience to reassure him that everything was going to be ok - I did not go into detail about some of the postoperative issues. I offered to give him advice if he ever needed it in the future.

sincere thanks again for all your input
-STL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:30 am 

Worse come to worst, just say that you and Poseidon aren't on great terms, so you'll need to limit your aquatic activities to avoid detection by the Earth Shaker