www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:02 pm 

I went out today to run some errands-pickup some mulch and planters.
I got to the local home depot and realized that my northshore supreme would need a change. Unfortunately I had taken my wife’s car and left my bag in my car. I decided not to take any chances and drove back home and changed. The trip itself took about an hour roundtrip with traffic. I was so frustrated that I decided not to go back out.
Would you have done the same? I am angry at myself for forgetting my backpack and supplies and for not getting my errands done. Would any of you have taken the chance with just getting the errand done. I was worried about getting stuck in a line or ruining my wife’s seat. But sometimes i think i am just overly cautious. Do you ever think you are too cautious?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:38 am 

fiacs wrote:
I went out today to run some errands-pickup some mulch and planters.
I got to the local home depot and realized that my northshore supreme would need a change. Unfortunately I had taken my wife’s car and left my bag in my car. I decided not to take any chances and drove back home and changed. The trip itself took about an hour roundtrip with traffic. I was so frustrated that I decided not to go back out.
Would you have done the same? I am angry at myself for forgetting my backpack and supplies and for not getting my errands done. Would any of you have taken the chance with just getting the errand done. I was worried about getting stuck in a line or ruining my wife’s seat. But sometimes i think i am just overly cautious. Do you ever think you are too cautious?

I'm assuming that your incontinence is the type where you release urine continously over time rather than flood, yes? If so, then what I would do would depend on how wet the diaper was. Was it squishy to the touch? if so, yes I would have gone home to change. Ive had times where I overestimated my protection and its not pretty or fun. I once got to Mass, had a bowel accident before it started, and had to turn around immediately to go home to get cleaned up. That was the worst. So ive been there and feel your pain. It's times like these that incontinence is a pain in the butt.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:56 am 

I always have my purse with me with at least one diaper in it but have forgotten to check before leaving home and found myself in the same quandary as you. Sometimes I have taken my chances and hopped for the best and other times I have gone home. I have also popped into a CVS, RideAid, Walgeens etc.. and bought a bag of diapers instead of going home.

Last edited by Jenn on Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:07 am 

I keep a small washable bed pad in each of our cars for just such a situation. My pants may get soaked but at least the car's seat won't be damaged. There's been a few times that I was glad to have the pad handy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:45 am 

if the product was saturated i woukld go home to change, I try to plan my day so that I have some reserve space in my protection so If I expect to be out for 6 hours the protection I will use would be something I trust for 8 hours etc. I also use a cloth-flannel pullup and Pul pant over my dispobale to help contain any leak.

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:14 pm 

For COVID purposes, I keep a mask in each car/truck we have. I suppose you can do the same thing with a spares bag.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:26 pm 

It sounds like collectively we keep a spare diaper with us whether in our car/bag/purse.
Sounds like some of us also keep a spare seat underpad which is a good idea.
After this incident, I'll keep a spare disposable underpaid and diaper in my wife's car just in case.

For my situation, my diaper was pretty saturated. I do void/dribble a little every couple of minutes so my diaper can hold up longer than accidents that involve large voids. With that being said, my diaper definitely could not hold a larger void if my bladder had a spasm. As Sociologygeek stated, it was "squishy". We all know when a diaper needs to be changed and when it can stay on a bit longer and I didn't think my diaper would do much for me. It held up for my car ride home because my bladder didn't spasm so all was well.

It is interesting that we all know when a diaper needs to be changed and when it can stay on a bit longer. I can speak for myself that years of experience, miscalculations and mistakes have taught me where that LINE is.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:53 am 

The most challenging part to cope with UIC is beside the planning the logistic... ;-)
But anyway - I also had this situation. In such a case I enter normally the next drugstore or a pharmacy and buy what I need. But I live in a big city - on the countryside it might be more complicated.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:22 pm 

I am lucky that I keep diapers stored in all of our vehicles. Sure, this means I undoubtedly have diapers lying around but oh well.
I've had my fair share of surprises when I've needed to tap into my emergency supply.
For example, I've had a diaper in the past when I put it on, I noticed, there was a small rip in the plastic. Fortunately, I could go to my car and grab my emergency spare diaper.