www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeking input from you!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:30 am 

I am working on a future project and am seeking input from the community.
What are the benefits and negatives of plastic-backed products?
what are the benefits and negatives of "Cloth-like" backed products?
What the benefits and negatives of disposable underwear (pull-ups)?
What are the benefits and negatives of tab Style Briefs (Adult diapers)?
when is the Disposable underwear (pull-up) best used?
When is the Tab style Brief (adult diaper) best used?

I obviously have personal experience and opinions but hopping to find more data on this and maybe some things I never thought of.
Thank you for your input!

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:53 pm 

The main benefit of the plastic-backed brief is that it makes sure no moisture can get through onto the user's clothes, and that when changing, it feels dry on the outside and not clammy as does any cloth-feel brief. The disadvantage is that it can feel more sweaty inside on a hot day.

Pull-ups have the advantage of being easy to put on, which gives some people a lot more independence. I know a family whose daughter has learning disabilities and she wears them all the time, as I understand it, and a while back some health authorities in this country started substituting tabbed briefs as they were cheaper, something they resisted as some of them would be unable to do up a tabbed brief properly and that it felt more like a baby's nappy. They have the disadvantage that you have to put your feet through them, which if you have a fungal infection might risk spreading it upwards.

They are best used for light urinary incontinence. If someone voids a lot in one go, a proper nappy is the only answer. Some (regardless of quoted capacity) can't hold a bladderful of urine.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:58 pm 

Thank you for your input! good stuff.

realworldincon@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:52 pm 

What are the benefits and negatives of plastic-backed products?
Normally better waterproof backing and greater area of protection. Stronger and holds shape better which means a better fit that last longer.
Negatives would be they make a crinkling sound and are louder when you move and walk. In the summer time, because they don't breathe as well they feel hotter and can get uncomfortable in warm weather. Chaffing from plastic is bad in the summertime

what are the benefits and negatives of "Cloth-like" backed products?
Very quite and less stress if someone can hear anything. Cooler because the breathable sides.
Negatives would be they stretch and get loose over time. The tabs start to tare away the soft backing when it starts to get wet and get more weight to it. The get a wet feeling between the leg that makes you feel like you are leaking when it is most likely sweat soaking into the backing

What the benefits and negatives of disposable underwear (pull-ups)?
Great for lite leakage where trips to the restroom are still possible. Much more comfortable and less bulky then tape on diapers.
Negatives are not many size options. Not much protection for major leaks or flooding. If you have to change while out, you have to remove shoes and pants.

What are the benefits and negatives of tab Style Briefs (Adult diapers)?
Very adjustable. Can be used and changed without having to get undressed fully
Negative would be can cause a rip in plastic backing.

when is the Disposable underwear (pull-up) best used?
Best with only minor leakage. Good option if you only need a few hours between a change.
Negative would be that they will not give enough protection for major leaking.

When is the Tab style Brief (adult diaper) best used?
When you need the maximum time of protection between changing. Also the best option if needing to change while out in public.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:59 pm 

Great feedback!

realworldincon@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:11 pm 

Although I second Rope Wrench's response, let me add some observations of my own. Because my leakage is a slow, continual dribble, I can use lighter protection when I am at home, or close to an adequate bathroom. I use the heavy disposables primarily when I travel long distances. Rope's criteria are especially useful for folks newly adjusting to the need for protection.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:55 pm 

Pull-ups are difficult to use in the winter. To remove two or three layers of clothing in a public bathroom with dirty floor from all the snow is practically impossible.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:20 pm 

What about cloth diapers. The benefit, once you have them they are much cheaper than any kind of disposable diaper. They can be quite costly at first however if you can sew they are much cheaper to make. I use cloth diapers almost entirely. I have made them myself and also I have made plastic pants for under one dollar. Cloth diapers are bulky that is a drawback.

Just my thoughts.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:17 am 

The project I am working on does not include cloth products, however, that is another project That I am, actively trying to get accomplished.

realworldincon@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:33 am 

realworldic wrote:
I am working on a future project and am seeking input from the community....
...I obviously have personal experience and opinions but hopping to find more data on this and maybe some things I never thought of.
Thank you for your input!

Plastic-backed:
Pro: Better leak protection, tapes grip better, warmer in winter, higher capacity
Con: Hot in summer, chafing

Cloth-like:
Pro: Tapes can be repositioned (sometimes), cooler in summer, "stretch sides" type keep diaper up during movement
Con: Material stretches and loosens diaper, weeping through material

Disposable Pull-ups:
Pro: Easy to put on or take off (with no clothing on), less volume when packing for trips, tends to stay up with movement, more discreet
Con: Have to take pants/shoes off to put/take off when changing, limited capacity

Tab-style Brief:
Pro: Can put on/take off without fully removing clothing, highest capacity (available), generally better for adding a pad due to width
Con: Can be difficult to put on if person has limited movement of hands or back, generally less discreet

When are Pull-ups best used:
For light voids, when bathrooms are nearby, for short periods of time, when working out or for yard work, when descretion is desired

When are Tab-style Briefs best used:
For long duration wearing, when bulk is not an issue, during winter, when you want to add a booster or pad