www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:35 am 

had a Colonoscopy on Monday and had to do a 2 day prep as the ol gut works take some time to get thoroughly cleaned out .
I pretty much do this annually now as I have diverticulitis and seem to be making new polyps as fast as I can,
not a big deal other than the prep is usually a royal pain due to fecal incontinence which is usually managed well with diet and meds.,
this could not manage at all during the prep so by the time I got to the hospital I was pretty dammed annoyed and sore despite all precautions taken.
of course I arrived with a soiled brief from the last of the prep and when nurse was taking vitals and starting IV
I asked if I should go to the restroom and change to a new brief before the procedure.
she said that would not be needed.
fast forward to my waking up in recovery wearing the same brief with the bonus of fluids from the procedure now involved.
so the just refastened the already used brief right back up when they where done with the 50 caliber 6foot long camera .
this was very uncomfortable and confusing as I had a new brief with me and it was in a sack hanging on the bed i was in. . the nurse and endo tech were aware of it.
so there I lay for about 30 minutes until I could stop being dizzy and get changed and dressed to go home.
just seems weird they would handle the issue that way..

thoughts?
they are aware of both of my incontinence issues from both verbal and documented on my chart. and this had not happened like this before. . usually they just take it off and I wake up either in a new one or laying on a chux.
seriously thinking of calling and inquiring about this.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:38 pm 

You should have a chat with the hospital. There is no excuse for them to leave you in a soiled brief after the procedure. That's just lazy to the point of patient abuse in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:20 pm 

Steve M. wrote:
You should have a chat with the hospital. There is no excuse for them to leave you in a soiled brief after the procedure. That's just lazy to the point of patient abuse in my opinion.

I agree absolutely with Steve. I´ve also had colonoscopies and usually hopsital crew in general is quite kind and attentive, but a thing like that is totally unacceptable IMO. If not asking for some kind of complaint sheet or something, at least having a talk with the doctor in charge to assure he´s aware of how those empolyees are treating pacients.

Last edited by Lord Duque on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:18 am 

Add my support. Complaining will do you no immediate good; however, it should be beneficial for the next incontinent patient, and for you next year. Thanks for reporting in.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:24 pm 

while this was literally a pain in the ass,,, and not having had a similar issue at this hospital before this is probably a one off.
but I will be contacting them probably via my gastro and letting them know what happened. I actually think the fact that they
pretty much shooed me out of there while I was still very dizzy is probably more concerning.
though of something else that may have been a factor? . I was only 3 weeks out from having mostly recovered from a pretty bad
case of covid.. . either way I will be contacting my dr about this.