www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Comfidry 24/7
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:29 am 

I challenge the issue that the NorthShore MegaMax and the ConfiDry 24/7 are comparable. I wear the same size in both products, a medium. The Confidry with shipping from Amazon is $1.77 each compared with $2.50 each for the MegaMax. Using my example you get 16 more briefs buying Confidry. The price for the MegaMax directly from North Shore, after adding their shipping, is virtually the same as from Amazon.

NorthShore makes a good product and they claim that the MegaMax has more capacity. I don't dispute their claim. However, the one fact that all comparisons overlook is that urine has weight and gravity works the same regardless of a product's capacity. Unless I am laying down or sitting the weight of the garment plus the urine it has absorbed means I change well before it reaches capacity. I also find similar issues at night. A super large capacity product still gets uncomfortable with about the same amount of urine as a lower capacity product. I think that the bigger (more capacity-greater cost) is better argument isn't always the best way to make a buying decision.

There are probably people for whom the large capacity briefs work best. I would guess that those who have sudden and complete voids may find the high capacity briefs better. Those of us whose needs are different should figure out what product works best and is most cost effective to manage our needs.

Well, its time for another cup of coffee-yes my Urologist has told me that reducing my coffee intake will help. My wife has noted that when my coffee intake decreases so does my mood. I don't live with my Urologist.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:16 pm 

happilyretired2 wrote:
Well, its time for another cup of coffee-yes my Urologist has told me that reducing my coffee intake will help. My wife has noted that when my coffee intake decreases so does my mood. I don't live with my Urologist.

Aint that the truth!

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:50 am 

I had been using 24/7 for the past 3 years and realize that they had made changes to the diaper that ended up leaving it as an inferior quality product.

The outer shell now seems to be a bit thinner and the once strong and sturdy tapes have been replaced with cloth-like ones that either tear off of the diaper entirely when putting them on, slide around when applied, or tear the shell when trying to use the 'second chance' feature. These have been my goto for a long time, but I can't keep using them the way that they are now. I'm thinking of migrating to either NS supremes or Betterdry even though I don't like the fit as much as 24/7s. What a shame.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:18 am 

I have worn many cases of Dry 24/7 over the years and sadly must agree with Shanazon that its quality has suffered badly. :(

Recently I find that BetterDry is a better product than Dry 24/7, and for the same price. BetterDry has a higher ISO, plus incredibly tall internal standing leak guards (important for those of us with bowel incontinence).

Regarding Dry 24/7 versus Megamax, before we look at the data, we must note that the most important characteristic of any diaper is fit, fit, and fit. Even the best premium diaper, if it does not fit your personal shape, will not perform well for you.

The data below may help the discussion:

ConfiDry 24/7 - ISO 4,100 ml in size L
BetterDry - ISO 5,138 ml in size L
MegaMax - ISO 6,500 ml in size L

ConfiDry 24/7 price - $1.80 ea, by the case, from XP Medical
BetterDry price - $1.67 ea, by the case, in size L, from Northshore Care
MegaMax price - $2.17 ea, by the case, in size L, from NorthShore Care
[prices do not include shipping]

The working assumption here is that the maximum usable capacity usually increases as the ISO increases.

I would offer the opinion that a more expensive premium diaper makes economic sense if, over a 24 hour period, you are able to get by with fewer diapers. Also, a premium diaper may be the better value if it costs less than (or, perhaps, equal to) a lesser diaper plus the cost of a booster pad.

For me, I would go for BetterDry during the day, with a MegaMax at night.

What say you?

—John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:07 pm 

I don't often need to wear a super premium diaper but when I do my favorite is the ComfiDry 24/7. That said my supply of them is at least a year old so I suppose it's the "better original" version and not the "new and improved". It's sad to hear that they have changed them since they fit me perfectly and always stayed right where I originally taped them. Another thing I liked was that they don't swell up too much even though they will hold a huge amount.

I've used Better Dry's and while the fit and capacity is great I don't like the way they swell up hugely in the front. I don't normally worry about others seeing that I'm wearing a diaper but it just makes such a huge unnatural bulge in the front that it does attract unwanted attention. I've also tried the "original" MegaMax's and while they are very good I just don't need that kind of capacity, plus the price is higher than the others.

I guess once my supply of 24/7's run out I'll go to the Northshore Supreme's. I know it's a great diaper, even from my limited use of them (one bag of the Blues) and it seems like it could be a good alternative to the 24/7's. I also like the fact that they come in different colors which is a nice break from the institutional all-white.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:38 pm 

I must be getting old stock as I Have not seen any major changes in any Dry 24/7 I have seen and I just had a case delivered this week as well...

I don't use them every day as I tend to rotate the products I use from time to time I only ordered this case because of all the conversations around this product,

*Update* so closer inspection these do have the cloth tapes. I'll pay attention to the performance on these and let you know... maybe need to redo my review at some point.

realworldincon@gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:21 am 

Based on what I have read, i would recommend BetterDry as an alternative to ConfiDry. I switched several years ago because Better dry seems to be equal or better and has a better price per quantity. I have not noticed any change in quality since I ordered them last. However I did notice price hikes on XP medical's site, probably due to COVID. Which is understandable. Suprisingly, when i was in need of a case of extended wear, this last time i went with Nortshore care's supreme. the prices on XP are really high right now.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:25 pm 

ConfiDry 24/7 fits me well, has reasonable absorbency, and has a good price point. That is why I have stayed with it for so long.

However, this week alone I have had the tapes for three diapers pull completely away from the backing. :( Those diapers were from two separate packages. Of course, I may have received a bad case. I did "stock up" for the pandemic, just in case and may have received diapers that sat in a hot warehouse for too long.

For those of us with bowel incontinence, the very tall internal standing leak guards on the BetterDry are a good reason for at least trying out that diaper. The leak guards are approximately 2.5" tall.

Agreed that MegaMax is not in the same category as ConfiDry 24/7 or BetterDry. It is pricier but very competitive as a night diaper. When I need the absorbency I wear it during the daytime as well. MegaMax also has tall leak guards.

Again, fit is the most important factor. And, if you are satisfied with your current diaper there is no reason to change just to get more absorbency that you don't need.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:51 pm 

Ok starting to see a pattern with the dry 24/7 this was the first diaper that kept me dry for 16hours (NOT PLANNED) and I was always glad to have that potential.. so far I have had a few leaks at the 6-hour mark... :( but also have gone 10.5 hours overnight... its only half a bag at the moment but seems like there indeed may have been a change...

realworldincon@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:31 pm 

I used Confided 24/7 and Abena 4 for years, up until I tried Northshore Supremes. I was looking for an Abena replacement at the time as I became dis-satisfied with the bunching that occurs when they get wet with my active lifestyle. 24/7’s nor Supremes seem to do that “as quickly”. For that reason, my main diaper type is and has been cloth. There are (often) times when cloth isn’t appropriate so the disposables are used. My main choice lately is Supremes but I have a pretty large supply (now) of both.
The 24/7’s, I’m told, went through a quality change, but I buy them so infrequently and buy them by the case so I guess I missed the issues.
I have purchased them from XPMedical and most recently from Amazon. XP ships in unmarked boxes but apparently Amazon does not.... No matter as I’m in a very rural area.
Honestly, I think the 24/7’s fit me better but I like the performance of the Supremes marginally better. I generally use (Northshore) boosters with both.