www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I don’t get it. Leaks.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:40 pm 

So I had the inevitable leak this morning. It doesn’t matter what diaper I’m wearing 95% of the time I’ll have a leak in the morning. Last night I was wearing a crinklz (the only diaper that fits my fat ass right.) and I had a flood when I got up this morning. It soaked straight through the diaper, into my pul pants and onto the chux pads I was sitting on. So no light leak. The only thing I can think of is I was sitting on the edge of the bed and the pressure made it leak through. The only time I don’t get leaks is when I’m walking with my prosthetic or walking on my knees when i don’t have my leg on. Can anyone give any tips for stopping leaks when sitting down? I’m at my wits end!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:59 pm 

Sitting certainly puts more pressure on the part of the briefs that usually the most saturated, 90% of the leaks I get are when I transition from lying down to sitting up in the morning as a heavy night wetter, of course, the pad is very saturated at this point. that being said how the product fits is a big contributor to leaks can you pint point if the leaks happen in the front or more to the back? how the tapes align can affect how the product fits. also, do you place the brief on when lying down? your body changes shape a bit from a more vertical to lying down position and this also can have some effect, I know you have tried many products to alleviate this issue so you should have a good sense on how a product fits you so other than that you may be just outputting more fluid than the products can handle at one-time boosters may help But I think you said you use them also.

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:59 pm 

It seems to be more in the front. I’m wondering if the booster pads I use are too big. I use an xl diaper and a large booster pad. This is what the folks at northshore suggested. I do both laying down and “standing up” aka on my knees because of my missing leg. All I know is I hate being incontinent and having to wear these stupid things.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:50 pm 

real world please say so if i am wrong but i am thinking northshore told me to use same size booster as my diaper now i did choose to go to the ex large for how long it is over the large about 1 day a week i end up having water bm for the day even has the doctors stumped but any way that day of the week aides will load up diapers with the boosters to save on leaks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:56 am 

I always use a booster pad. I keep them on hand in various sizes. I have found the NorthShore booster pads to be a good choice.

IMHO, it is better not to use a booster pad so large that it completely covers the space between the inner standing leak guards. It is more effective to choose a booster pad just a bit smaller that will leave some space on each side of the booster pad to form sort of a "gutter" between the pad and the standing leak guards. This way there is more exposed surface of the diaper's own core and the diaper's own absorbency is used more efficiently. This "gutter" also reduces the likelihood of pee overflowing the leak guards once the booster pad is at its own maximum absorbency.

I usually use a Medium, rather than a Large, NorthShore booster pad (in a size Large NorthShore MegaMax or Confidry Dry 24/7).

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:46 am 

I used a MegaMax last night (NS sent me samples with my last order) and had 2 voids and no leaks. The diaper seemed to fit well although there was part of my pubic area that wasn’t covered which I thought was odd and was sure that was going to be a problem but it wasn’t. I guess the leak guards did their job. This was the white MegaMax and later on today I’ll try the blue. I had gotten a couple of cases of the blue and they just leaked. I’m pretty certain there is a difference between the 2 colors. The frustrating thing is I can not pinpoint what causes the leaks so I can’t make a definitive decision on what diaper to use.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:33 pm 

when it comes to the size of boosters I think the only real big thing That I would say is a "rule of thumb" is that the booster should fit between the standing leak guards of the main brief, and the bulk of the booster should not exceed the height of the standing leak guards, if the booster does so it can interfere with the function of the standing leak guards.. in my testing and use I found the boosters that don't have some adhesive to keep them in place can move around during use and I have seen the booster adjust itself so that it interfered with the standing leak guards. If the main product you use does not have standing leak guards I think its kind of fair game on the size of the booster.

when it comes to booster thickness based on the basic rules of current absorbent technology thicker products absorb fluid faster it is possible that a thin product can absorb as much fluid as thicker one given time but time is usually the problem with flooding types of incontinence.

when it comes to the length of a booster that really depends on the position of the user. For overnight, I would say the longer the better for daytime standing or sitting up the extra length may not be used. this really as user choice overall.

realworldincon@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:42 pm 

Another word about boosters I have only released 4 video reviews to date on boosters but have completed testing for another 4 or 5 (video Editing takes time) however all of the boosters tested are the square rectangle-shaped products. I am halfway done testing a shaped pad ( looks like an hourglass) and based one very early observations I would likely not suggest shaped pads to be used with any brief that has standing leak guards. based on the early observation (again testing not completed) it appeared the shape of this type of pad may interfere with pretty much any standing leak guard and early data suggest that this style could contribute to leaks and not prevent them.

take this info with a grain of sand as testing is not complete.

realworldincon@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:11 pm 

The MegaMax that I’m wearing seems to fit well. I just can’t get a reliable wear out of it. If this one leaks I’m done with MegaMax. The white one fit better though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:07 pm 

So the blue MegaMax leaked after one wetting. I’m at a loss