www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:14 pm 

I rarely have a bowel incontinence episode, maybe 1-2x a year. It usually happens if I am in a new city. I am trying new foods, eating more than I should and I am not familiar with where the clean public bathrooms are (if they exist in the city). All this leads to the infrequent bowel accident. Unfortunately, plastic pants with a premium diaper does not contain the smell. I also don't want to take Nullo because it does not happen frequently enough.

When it does happen, I am usually on my way back to the hotel. My stomach usually hurts and I don't make it back to the hotel quickly enough. Nevertheless, I am not far from the hotel so I can change in my room. I have never changed in a public bathroom - it seems too hard.

What are some tips for managing the odor that you have found to be useful?
And any tips on changing in public after you've have a bowel accident?

Thanks for the collective advice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:36 pm 

I am bowel incontinent and fully sympathize with you. Of course, a family bathroom or a handicap restroom is preferred, if one is available.

Regarding smell, I have not found an effective solution other than internal deodorants like Nullo, etc.. Plastic pants only delay the odor, and only briefly.

If you are forced to change in a public bathroom, it helps greatly if you have adequate diaper changing supplies with you. In addition to a fresh diaper, this includes plastic disposal bags for the messy diaper and soiled wipes.

You should have a packet of large size wipes. I recommend you have at least 10 wipes (sounds like a lot, but you may need more).

I recommend surgical gloves to keep the mess and odor from adhering to your hands and then transferring to your clothing.

I have found paper towels to be more effective than wipes for initially removing any fecal solids that stick to your bottom. Then use the wipes.

A plastic over-the-door hook will give you a way to hang your bag and keep it off the floor. I also have a small section of plastic that I put on the floor to keep clothing, etc. relatively clean.

In addition to the supplies I keep in a small backpack, I keep a "disaster kit" in the trunk of my car. It even contains a complete change of clothing, just in case, and additional plastic bags for the soiled clothing. You probably will not have that with you when you are traveling.

As you have fecal accidents so rarely, it may be overkill for you to keep on hand the items I have mentioned.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:19 pm 

Although I second everything JD wrote above, let me add some points. If you use an internal deodorant. you may want to start 2-3 days before you may need to. Because internal deodorants can constipate, take them with Colace or another stool softener. Depending on your body chemistry, avoid foods that can cause GI odor, such as beans, cabbage, onions, etc.. Early in my experience with incontinence, an occupational therapist asked to evaluate my diaper changing, which left me perplexed. She insisted that, because of my balance and coordination difficulties, I should always stand with my legs apart, keeping a stable triangle under me at all times. This profoundly influenced how I change my diaper when I'm out and about. If your incontinence management is complicated by additional physical limitations, you may want to take them into account.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:45 pm 

Jd has some great suggestions!

the very best things when it comes to bowel incontinence is eliminate as many accidents as possible, Timed voiding and other daily/weekly elimination techniques exist that really help reduce the number of accidents, I suggest talking with a continence nurse or doctor as some of the best methods do require skilled training and supervision. but daily timed voids can work wonders but it takes time and commitment to get your body to function on a schedule.

internal deodorants do help with odor however they can interfere with medications and take a few days to really start to function, speak with a doctor before trying them! When traveling its good to take a few days so if you do have an accident the deodorants are fully functioning, chlorophyll (Nullo) and activated charcoal tablets do indeed work!

Hydration really does affect food, booth bowel and bladder a well-hydrated body does wonder at reducing odors!

personally, Diet has the biggest impact on my bowels certain foods can trigger an accident or nearly and if I am able to avoid these foods will remove this risk, of course sometimes its hard to avoid trigger foods so timed voiding really comes in handy.

there are many foods that create odors alone so avoiding these will greatly help.

when it comes to changing no matter what its difficult to do in public restrooms JD covered that very well.

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:56 pm 

One of the most important things to mention about bowel incontinence is skin care. Its really important to clean the area really well as soon as possible after a bowel accident.