www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:32 am 

I am almost at the point of restarting prescribe movocol due to constipation from not enough fluids, Pain killers and other medications and nerve issues. as well as a lot more affordable than prune juice as I get it via script and can put it into milk (bonus as dont drink enough milk or fliuds)

This is most likely mean I will have bowel continence issues cant believe I have to make this decision but everyone is telling me (incl 2 continence nurses) that bowel incontinence is a lot healthier than constipation, impaction and hameroid issues. :'( as had near misses week 2 of prescribed movocol while in respite hence stopped when I got home as I live alone

OMG :'( :'( :'( :'( even though I have been in pull ups for 10 years and taped diapers since November......... for bladder issues and that took a lot of psychology I am guessing in some way being diaper dependent would be safer after night meds have kicked in as had falls trying to get to toilet in time.
Also going to switch to wipes instead of TP due to continence nurse advice as one of my personal goals is accept disabilities incl listening to medical and therapist advice :'( :'(
Going to need a lot of support :'( :'(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:04 am 

A bowel release in a diaper that can handle it is far superior to constipation so bad that diarrhea develops upstream of the blockage, seeps around it, and leaks out, soiling the diaper anyway. Keeping your stool moving should be a priority. I use stool softener with every meal, strong laxatives 2 - 3 times each week, and enemas as necessary. An internal deodorant such as Devrom or Nullo makes this easier. Good luck getting your GI issues solved.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:42 pm 

I have had chronic constipation since I was a child, I'm 57 now. My bladder problems started 3 years ago after prostate and bladder surgery. I take movicol twice a day and a drug called prucalopride. I sometimes take biscadoyl as well and suppositories if I need to. The medics tell me that I must avoid getting even slightly constipated. The logic being that a full colon presses on the bladder and having waste material in the colon too long extracts too much water that ends up in the bladder. I do sometimes leak a bit from the rear, particularly if I think I am going to pass wind, but I would rather that than the problems caused by being constipated. Good luck with your new plan, I will be interested to hear how it goes, Phil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:47 pm 

I am also on bisacodyl 3 times per week

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:26 am 

sjpersonal,

You are not alone in this. Many of us in this forum are bowel incontinent and even double incontinent. My fecal incontinence is due to severe chronic constipation causing overflow diarrhea. Sound familiar?

You will find that we have taken different approaches to managing the problem.

I use PEG to soften the stools and reduce the risk of constipation.

What I do that is different, is that, with the approval of multiple physicians, I manage my bowel incontinence with daily soapsuds enemas (the old-fashioned kind with a hanging rubber bag, not the chemical Fleets enemas). It is totally effective as an empty bowel cannot have an accident. I then get on with my life and don’t worry about it. :D

I also use Bisacodyl suppositories followed by a tap water (saline) enema flush that also helps to wash out some of the remaining Bisacodyl. Bisacodyl suppositories can have varying degrees of effectiveness on different users.

Patrick is quite correct (as usual) that a bowel release into a good quality diaper will contain the mess and is so much preferable to the risk of soiling hour clothing by a bowel accident, especially in public (my great fear).

Re internal deodorants, do note that for some people the maximum dosage may be necessary. A side-effect can be more constipation, that you are trying to avoid.

I wear good quality diapers, covered by PUL plastic pants, and supported by a onesie. As you have been using taped diapers for only a few months, please note that a critical requirement is very tall internal standing leak guards. They keep the mess away from the leg gathers. Of course, the diaper must fit your personal anatomy very well, regardless of its features.

Feel free to send me a PM.

—John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:09 am 

My therapist is teaching me abdominal (colon) massage. I'm not good at it, but it seems to be helping. If you have the opportunity to work with a therapist trained in it, you might try it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:10 am 

Am wearing Abena L2 cloth taped as best brand in Australia as Molicare just went to 1 tape per side not bothering anything over the L2 atm as supposed to change every 2 ish hours when I increase water as mainly urinary issues but Movocol 1 sacthal twice daily and 10mg Bisacodyl tablet 3 times per week has made my bowels unstablish if I take movocal and Bisacodyl doesnt do anything on its own.

Any recommendations on PUL plastic pants as I think onesie would be too hot in the Australian climate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:59 am 

If you can get them The Garywear Active PUL brief is my #1 recommendation it is comfortable, soft and VERY durable and comes in many colors (white may stain a bit)! I would also say Leakmaster also has really goos PUL pants.

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:00 pm 

I second the garywear suggestion. They are the only pul pants I use.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:14 am 

So sorry You are going through this. bowel incontinence can be just awful. Depressing and humiliating.