www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:12 am 

I haven't used a full cloth diaper before but I have to say I am impressed with how much those that do seem to love them over disposables. My question is when using cloth diapers Plastic/PUL pants are obviously necessary, but don't they get wet on the inside right along with the diaper? Do you have to clean or wipe them out with every diaper change or do you just put on a new pant? Not that it's really a big problem but it seems like you would need a lot of plastic pants to go along with your cloth diapers.
I often use PUL pants over my disposables but they very rarely get wet. I know that the inside of PUL pants have a texture and it seems like it would be difficult to just wipe clean. Any info from the cloth wearers here concerning using diaper covers would be helpful to me as I'm trying to decide to try cloth.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:26 am 

I wear them over a disposable and cloth over pant, but yes they do - I rinse them out in the shower and hang them to dry and have never noticed any offensive smell coming from them. If you wear them over just a cloth diaper, they'll get even wetter and you might need to clean them more thoroughly at least now and then.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:57 pm 

Yes, damp or slightly moist is typical if you saturate the diaper. If I wear a single prefold, I will nearly always damped the diaper to the point where the inside of the pants are damp. When I double up, the inside of the pants are usually much drier feeling unless I flood. If they are dry feeling, or sometimes even if they’re damp inside, I usually will simply use them again. They will reach a point though where after 2-3 or maybe more changes, it’s time to clean them, as long as they don’t get real damp or develop an odor.
I usually rinse the pants in the bathroom sink with a squirt of anti-bacterial hand soap in warm water. Occasionally, I’ll put several in a mesh garment bag and wash them in colored laundry, just because. I always put the washed pants on plastic hangers, through the leg, poofing them out as much as possible, and let them dry.
I have about 10 pairs of good quality pants on hand all of the time, though I could probably manage with 3 or 4 pair....
My favorite pants are the urethane type right now but unless I use a compression brief of some type, they are noisy. I sometimes use PUL because they are quiet and fit more snugly, but maybe a little more bulky. Some say they’re cooler but I haven’t noticed any difference. I can say though that they work best with a single diaper as they seem restrictive with double diapers (snugger cut). I still have a few pair of cheap vinyl pants, but they are prone to tears, noisy, and uncomfortable.
Never use strong soaps, chlorine bleach, hang in the sun, or put waterproof pants of any type in a dryer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:52 pm 

Yes, waterproof pants do need to be washed; I wash mine by hand in warm water with regular laundry detergent. I rinse them with a vinegar rinse, followed by a clear water rinse, then dry them on a rack beside the washer. At each use I powder the inside with J&J cornstarch powder, which manages any excess moisture.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:01 am 

I also wear cloth diapers with plastic pants. I have made my own plastic pant using a trash bag. Each one costs me less than one dollar. If you, or your partner, can sew they are easy to make. It takes me less than one hour to make one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:55 pm 

Thanks all for the info concerning plastic pants for use with cloth diapers.

After a quick search Gary Euroflex Urethane pants look really good but does anyone have any recommendations for/against them or maybe other brands?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:24 pm 

I have 4 pair of them and can highly recommend them.
They are very soft, thin, and very well made of super strong material. Only negative is that they are fairly noisy. I use them day and night, but cover with a compression brief to hold everything snuggly and cut noise during the day. They are cut very generous for double diapers too.
You will not be sorry for investing in these.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:24 pm 

I do like the Euroflex, too. What others here report is true: they are noisy but not horribly so. I'm an occasional cloth user but
it's been my habit to always wear plastic or vinyl pants over disposables, too. As a heavy wetter, it's extra protection especially from
wicking at the legs and somewhat of help to control urinary odor from escaping a saturated diaper. Rubber and latex still offer the
best odor barrier for all types of incontinence, however.

I'd recommend the GARY brand of urethane diaper covers. They are very durable and resistant to hardening and cracking due to oil or
strong detergents. They do hold up extremely well. GARY does make quality vinyls, too. My original stock of COMCO plastic pants,
once a durable standby for me over the years, has now expired and the company is out of business.

J.