www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:36 am 

I am curious if there is a number that urologist's use to consider a man cancer free. After my last checkup of nearly 3 years ago, my psa was .03/undetectable. Am I safe? I'm still dealing with incontinence, and probably will for the rest of my life. I'm approaching 73 yrs. on this planet. I'm getting used to needing to wear a diaper. My biggest concern, obviously, is whether the cancer can return.

Thanks,
Dennis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:02 pm 

dp66 wrote:
I am curious if there is a number that urologist's use to consider a man cancer free. After my last checkup of nearly 3 years ago, my psa was .03/undetectable. Am I safe? I'm still dealing with incontinence, and probably will for the rest of my life. I'm approaching 73 yrs. on this planet. I'm getting used to needing to wear a diaper. My biggest concern, obviously, is whether the cancer can return.

Thanks,
Dennis

usually survival rates are based on 5 years and I believe that's the benchmark to determine if the cancer is truly gone as well. I'm not a doctor though...I'd suggest asking your urologist, it's a pretty reasonable question. Doctors tend to kind of answer these questions vaguely though as they don't want the liability of getting sued if they say, yeah you're cancer is gone.....and then it comes back.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:45 pm 

Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) is a protein produced by prostate gland cells. Elevated levels may indicate prostate cancer, but PSA levels can also be affected by other things, such as enlarged prostate, a urinary tract infection, or recent ejaculation.

An elevated PSA can be the result of benign conditions such as prostatitis or an enlarged prostate. ... The only way to diagnose prostate cancer is with a prostate biopsy. An elevated PSA is not a diagnosis for prostate cancer, nor does it always lead to a biopsy

The two above paragraphs are from the internet. So a low PSA is not an indication "of" or "not of" cancer. I have a large prostate and no cancer. (by biopsy)