www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Member Introduction
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:51 pm 

Hi,

My name is Erin. I’m a 37 woman that’s completely urinary incontinent. I’ve been reading on this forum for years and finally though I’d start contributing to help get more woman’s voices on this forum.

I’ve been dealing with urge incontinence issues for the past six years and finally gave into full tape on diapers earlier this year.

I live a very normal life for a mid thirties woman, except the diapers. I’ve a great job, an awesome house, satisfying relationships and very supportive friends.

I’m a disposable diaper user; primary using MegaMax, and Abena M4. In reading all of Ellen’s successes with cloth diapers has made me rethink trying cloth. Her posts are also why I want to contribute to the forum as another woman. I have my first cloth diapers coming in the next few days. I’ll be starting a thread in the cloth section about starting to wear cloth.

I’m looking forward to contributing to the forum!

Take care
Erin

Last edited by MsErin on Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:09 pm 

Welcome. I look forward to your contributions.

Although I am male, genetics have played a major role in causing my incontinence. Regarding gender issues and incontinence, I hope you will enlighten us on the differences and similarities these issues cause.

As a dedicated cloth user, I look forward to your reports on beginning to use washables. Read past posts on the topic and good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:11 pm 

Welcome to the forum, Erin.

What are the issues that cause the incontinence in your family? Is it anything to do with childbearing?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:10 pm 

Welcome Erin.

As a person with urinary issues spanning 25+ years, it's no surprise to me that cloth diapering can be or still is an option for some of us.

It's also important to note that being open to new ways of management can happen even to we 'pros' and that 'change' can be good. No pun intended.

If you look back at the many posts here, you'll find other people, including females, who have posted about cloth diaper use. You'll find support and

information, I'm sure.

John

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:07 pm 

Hi Erin, Welcome to the site...
I'm looking forward to your contributions as there are certainly some similarities in our situation(s) and it's always great to have a different perspective, never too late to learn a new trick.
FYI...I use an eight layer folded cotton cloth inside an inexpensive disposable diaper while sleeping and since adding the cloth "pad" I haven't had a leak. Even the super premium disposables couldn't match this performance so cloth does have its place, at least for me. Of course as I'm sure you know it's up to the individual to find what works best for them and their situation and that's where this forum can be a big help.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:27 pm 

Thanks everyone for the welcoming messages.

Last edited by MsErin on Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:08 pm 

Oh, I have an tale of a diaper no no from today; being caught without a diaper change. While I was writing my introduction post today I was waiting for a tire repair. I had a tire explode on me while driving into work today.

Yesterday I forgot my diaper bag at work. I usually don't have to change at work, but I always have it with me just in case. I'm sitting on the interstate waiting for the tow truck and realize I didn't have my diaper bag. I keep a few days worth of diapers in my trunk, but I didn't have anything to put them in and my purse is way too small for a diaper. So I'm starting to freak out because I know I won't have a diaper change while waiting for my car to be fixed. I'm not going to walk around the tire shop with a diaper in my hand for a few hours and no where to concealer it.

My car gets to the shop at 9AM and they don't know how long it will be. They will only tell me how many cars are ahead of me. The hours tick by, my car is just sitting outside, my diaper keeps getting fuller and my anxiety is secretly increasing. I'm so worried I was going to have a leak at the tire shop in front of all these guys that would never understand. Normally at work I will swap out an inserts 2-3 times a day to make a diaper last through the day. I only had the insert I started the day with in my diaper and it wasn't going to be enough.

Finally they finish my care a 2:00 after five hours of waiting. I then rushed home to change. I maybe had 30 minutes left on my diaper :(

Lesson learn. I need a second diaper bag that just lives in my car. That's tonight's project.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:19 pm 

Welcome, MsErin!

Great to have another female voice on here! Seems like Ellyn is usually "carrying the standard" by herself, so to speak. Looking forward to your contributions!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:13 am 

Thank you for the kind words.
I’m like everyone else here in that I continue to find new solutions for my issues. Clearly, both disposable and reusable products have their places in my life, though there’s little doubt that cloth works best for me 80% of the time. Because of the rate of flow and volume, cloth at night is nearly a “must” for me. During the day, cloth is an effective, efficient, and comfortable solution to my active lifestyle in Texas. With the weather cooling off, my wardrobe has shifted to looser fitting jeans with a shirt that covers much of my butt, generally with a thicker single cloth diaper or disposable, but other than capacity issues, the Texas heat and humidity isn’t a big factor.
MsErin: If I/we can be of help in any way, simply ask. We are ALL here for you!
With proper planning, i believe for most of us, incontinence doesn’t have to keep us from having a near normal, active. fulfilling, (...) life! We all need a “catastrophe” solution though, as you pointed out, which ‘very likely’ is disposable based! For me, pads alone are not a great or long term solution, but good in a pinch, and very concealable.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:17 am 

Erin,

Your tale of a near-miss at a tire shop is instructive indeed. When I'm out and about for extended periods of time, I keep a full-size gym/diaper bag in my car, and keep a smaller, less obvious messenger bag handy when I expect to be some distance from my car for an hour or two.