www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:58 am 

Hi all

What is the deal with Plastic Pants for cloth backed disposables as new to transistioning from pull ups (abena abriflex) to abena abriform or Molicare elastic (when they come in stock),

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:34 am 

Many of us use plastic pants over a cloth layer over a disposable - this provides an extra barrier to stop leaks reaching the bedclothes. Plastic pants over a disposable will not stop leaks because they're not absorbent, although if you wear cloth feel disposables, you might feel more comfortable with them on as the exterior of the diaper (which often feels moist when the interior is wet) won't be touching your clothes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:14 am 

HumanFly wrote:
Many of us use plastic pants over a cloth layer over a disposable - this provides an extra barrier to stop leaks reaching the bedclothes. Plastic pants over a disposable will not stop leaks because they're not absorbent, although if you wear cloth feel disposables, you might feel more comfortable with them on as the exterior of the diaper (which often feels moist when the interior is wet) won't be touching your clothes.

All disposables in Australia are cloth backed also do garry pants also help with odor?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:10 am 

sjpersonal wrote:
HumanFly wrote:

All disposables in Australia are cloth backed also do garry pants also help with odor?

Plastic pants and diaper covers can help contain odor, If you are having big odor issues drink more water to dilute the urine if you have bowel issues ask you doctor about activated charcoal or Chlorophyll tablets as theses do a great job of making bowel odors mild,

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:08 pm 

I would recommend either Gary or Leakmaster PUL (PolyUrethane Laminate) plastic pants. The Gary's have a trimmer fit which is great for daytime use while out and about. The LeakMasters are much more generously cut and are great for nighttime wear as they will cover everything easily. All of them are a bit breathable and will help contain oder to some extent. They are very durable and can be washed in a washing machine with no damage to them. They can be machine dried, and I have done that a few times but I prefer to hang them to dry.

FYI... I usually wear a cotton granny panty over my disposable diaper to support the diaper and keep it from sagging, it will also absorb a tiny leak. At night I will wear a PUL plastic pant over everything. If there is a significant leak the cotton panty will absorb much if not all of it and the PUL pant will keep everything contained and away from the bedsheets.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:07 am 

Padded53 wrote:
I would recommend either Gary or Leakmaster PUL (PolyUrethane Laminate) plastic pants. The Gary's have a trimmer fit which is great for daytime use while out and about. The LeakMasters are much more generously cut and are great for nighttime wear as they will cover everything easily. All of them are a bit breathable and will help contain oder to some extent. They are very durable and can be washed in a washing machine with no damage to them. They can be machine dried, and I have done that a few times but I prefer to hang them to dry.

FYI... I usually wear a cotton granny panty over my disposable diaper to support the diaper and keep it from sagging, it will also absorb a tiny leak. At night I will wear a PUL plastic pant over everything. If there is a significant leak the cotton panty will absorb much if not all of it and the PUL pant will keep everything contained and away from the bedsheets.

What size would you recommend as

52cm thigh wide
120cm hips
110 waist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:54 am 

My best guess for you would be size XL but it would be best if you consulted the size charts for yourself. Both the Gary Activewear and Leakmaster PUL pants can be purchased on the Adult Cloth Diaper Co. website. Both are the same excellent quality but note that the Leakmasters come in both a pull-on and side snap version. I like the side snap version for daytime use as the spaces between the snaps allow for a bit more air circulation and are cooler to wear in warm weather.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:52 pm 

I've been wearing plastic pants over my diapers since before super absorbent polymers (SAP) were added and before the internet was created, the only option being drug store or mail order brands. Those early diapers usually leaked after one wetting, so plastic pants were essential. Nowadays, the ready availability of premium disposable diapers via the internet, has generally made plastic pants unnecessary for catastrophic leak containment, but does protect against small leaks through pinholes in the waterproof layer of the diaper and seepage. Plastic pants serve more to protect the diaper tapes from catching on something and detaching and to provide some concealment of the diaper. They also provide some odor protection, but that isn't much of an issue if I change my diapers 3 to 4 times a day.