www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:51 am 

The problem is, they aren't exposed to sunlight after use; they're buried in the ground amid other waste and don't come into contact with the soil.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:38 pm 

doogles wrote:
Überaktive wrote:
I feel guilty for wearing. The amount of waste induces anxiety. I think maybe I should buy a few pairs of reusable incontinence underwear but am afraid they will not be adequate. Or maybe cloth diapers. I don't know. I'm not ashamed or guilty about having issues, per se, rather the consequenses those issues have for the planet. :(

While it is good to be mindful of consequences, the amount of waste created by using diapers is actually not as bad as you might think. Recent studies have showed that plastics tend to disintegrate much faster than previously projected when exposed to sunlight. Further, most companies can make fairly durable plastics that are impermeable but also degrade quickly. The shelf life of a diaper is quite short, and I imagine it'll get even greener.

That said, cloth diapers do require washing and drying. You can save on energy costs by drying them in your shower when it isn't in use.

Due to legislation, mixed waste in Finland is not placed in landfill, but rather burned for energy - which of course causes emissions, but is not as bad as burying waste into a landfill.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:37 am 

I have felt guilt over my incontinence for several reasons, some too controversial and personal to mention here. But guilt for me was not doing the Kegel exercises because I kept forgetting to do them. So, when my incontinence came back, I felt guilty. But I know I gave my best effort.
I was really glad when I got dry for 4 years. When my incontinence returned in 2014 I was ANGRY! I was devastated. I did NOT want it. So, in dealing with my incontinence, guilt, anger, and embarrassment have been foremost on my mind. It was only when i came to accept incontinence as my lifelong reality that I found peace.

Guilt is very common for those experiencing incontinence. In my own experience, it was only after fighting it tooth and nail and with my dogged persistence that could I find peace in resigning myself to the inevitable. I did feel guilty for not doing the exercises, I did feel guilty for not cathing when my doctor told me to. But guilt is only useful when it compels you to change something wrong that you can control, or to reconcile with someone over something you did wrong and seek forgiveness. But, if it is guilt over something you cannot control, it is unhealthy guilt. Accepting yourself the way you are can go a long way toward alleviating guilt. I know that I have found this true in my own life. I have accepted incontinence as a part of my life.

I hope this helps someone.

Peace out!
Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:05 pm 

Most likely the guilt stems from how children are potty trained. Shame is a major motivating tool most parents use to potty train....I think people are getting better about this these days, I tried really hard when potty training my son to not say things like "don't you want to be a big boy?", "only babies wear diaper, you're not a baby are you?", "peeing and pooping your pants is dirty" etc and instead try to just give positive encouragement.

That negative style of potty training gets very deeply ingrained in you and then when you have IC problems as an adult it's almost impossible to NOT feel shame and guilt about it. It takes a long time, at least in my experience, to come to terms with it....and even then there are bad days here and there where guilt and shame creep back in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:51 pm 

Amen!
Extend that through literally all of my pre-teen years, and to a lesser degree through much of my teen years and you end up pretty messed up as an adult.
When I have a leak, even when I’m by myself, which isn’t often, I still feel ashamed of myself to some degree.
We all carry some baggage I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:51 pm 

Ellyn wrote:
Amen!
Extend that through literally all of my pre-teen years, and to a lesser degree through much of my teen years and you end up pretty messed up as an adult.
When I have a leak, even when I’m by myself, which isn’t often, I still feel ashamed of myself to some degree.
We all carry some baggage I guess.

yeah I just try to combat it whenever it happens...just remind myself that this isn't any different that putting on a band-aid to stop blood from leaking from a cut....can't help it so not my fault.