www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dealing with the VA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:59 pm 
Admin

I’m not sure about a billing dispute. That’s up to the purchasing agent. When the VA makes a purchase and they build a record, it creates a copy of the purchase order with all line items (how many, how much, total, etc.). Hopefully the agent did this and got the name of who they talked to. Also, bills are paid at the time of purchase over the phone. There is no promise to pay. There are other places to get diapers besides XP. Lots. A good purchasing agent can find them. When the VA inputs an item to make a purchase, the system automatically comes up with a list of vendors in item hostory. There’s not much searching.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:01 pm 

Batman & Don,

I'll have to reach out because the list of what they cover sucks. I'll have to see what I can do. Nothing on their list is worth wearing, I'd be a dripping bucket of piss. Ugh, the diapers were supposed to unchain me from the bathroom. I'll keep you guys updated!

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:33 pm 
Admin

You probably found the national formulary. By the way, molicare diapers are distributed by Medline. Medline is a huge distributor to the VA. They’re easy to get. I think they’re on the formulary. What you’re looking for is a non formulary purchase. Pharmacies do it all the time. There is also a local formulary they can add to. You just have to talk to the right person. I took my case to the patient advocate. I brought in an example of a dry 24/7 and a covidien wings diaper. I opened them up and laid them out to highlight the differences and showed the patient advocate what I was asking for versus what they were sending me. I would start there and build your case. Talk about quality of life and your limitations with what they’re trying to provide you. How does it affect you?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:07 am 

Porkchop keep us updated I am watching this thread closely. I my self need to find out how I can get L4's from the VA as I am using the new mission act.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:08 pm 

Yeah, I used to like MoliCare until they went cloth backed. Those tend to weep on me, I prefer the plastic backed diapers. I sweat a little more but I don't leak and affirmative self care prevents rashes etc.

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:08 pm 

itjustleaks wrote:
Porkchop keep us updated I am watching this thread closely. I my self need to find out how I can get L4's from the VA as I am using the new mission act.

What is the new mission act?

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:37 am 

Beginning June 6, 2019, under the MISSION Act, you’ll have more ways to access health care. This includes within VA’s network and through approved non-VA medical providers in your community, called “community care providers.”

Depending on your situation—for example, if a certain type of health service isn’t provided by VA—you may be able to go to a non-VA provider, using your VA coverage. Also if you live a certain distance from a VA Facility you can use a Local no VA provider.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:33 am 

itjustleaks wrote:
Beginning June 6, 2019, under the MISSION Act, you’ll have more ways to access health care. This includes within VA’s network and through approved non-VA medical providers in your community, called “community care providers.”

Depending on your situation—for example, if a certain type of health service isn’t provided by VA—you may be able to go to a non-VA provider, using your VA coverage. Also if you live a certain distance from a VA Facility you can use a Local no VA provider.

Wow, thanks for explaining!

As for an update, I am going to schedule an appointment with a patient care advocate since the pharmacy is being uncooperative.

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:36 pm 
Admin

Porkchop,
Many years ago when I went through the red tape to get my cloth diapers and supplies, I do remember having to go through the patient advocate and have them help me.
They really did help me a lot but it still took a few months for the entire process.

Make sure that you tell them that your order will be done every year and maybe 2x a year.
Not just a one time purchase.
I get new cloth diapers every year and the same with my plastic pants.
Its a lot of red tape and hoops to go through dealing with the VA, but in the long term it MORE than pays for itself many times over.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:01 pm 

My doctor has reached out to the head of the pharmacy. I will know more in two weeks when I have an appointment. If I get no resolution, I will then contact a patient advocate. Just a small update.

Marcus Aurelius