www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dealing with the VA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:58 pm 

First, an update since I've been MIA for so long. I've been busy with life... my wife has been out of commission from a car accident so I was essentially a single dad to two autistic boys. Nothing has changed with my health, which is god. Well, except my receding hairline tells my I'm probably dying of baldness.

Okay, that out of the way, I'm glad that this resource still exists and I could come back to it when the well ran dry. I used to get ComfiDry 24/7 diapers from the VA. I'm told the provider stopped being willing to deal with the VA so they switched me to Abena taped diapers. I hated them, but they were adequate. Now they won't give me those either, saying they can't get access to them and are foisting garbage at me. I was wondering where I could get the list of what the VA can provide so I can go back to the pharmacy well informed. Any help from other veterans or veteran caregivers would be greatly appreciated.

Porkchop

Marcus Aurelius

Post subject: Re: Dealing with the VA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:10 pm 

like any insurance they should have a web site that has list of said providers for such stuff be sure you look in the right place my insurance calls diapers pull ups durable medical even tho they are a one and done

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:56 pm 

Here you go https://www.vendorportal.ecms.va.gov/nac/MedSurg/List

Just put in the type you are looking for in the "Search by Item Name / Catalog Number using terms or phrase"
If the VA can get it, you will get all the information the pharmacist will need to get it from the National Acquisition Center.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:27 pm 
Admin

Thank-you Batman for posting that link.
I know that it will help a lot of vets get the supplies that they need.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:18 am 

Well hell... either the portal is broken or every brand that works for me isn't in their system :? :'(

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:02 am 

They still don't carry the Abena brand either. This may have some information that is useful to you and what your pharmacy can do.

https://www.pbm.va.gov/PBM/nationalform ... stions.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:34 pm 

Thanks Batman, I appreciate it. The local VA pharmacy is under new management so they wont get off brand stuff. Just what's in their catalog. :'(

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:25 pm 
Admin

Pork chop,
I can tell you from experience that what your hearing is incorrect. The VA can get abenas, dry 24/7, etc. It’s called a non formulary purchase. There are many vendors that are approved to sell these items to the VA. Your VA is just being difficult and refusing to deviate from the formulary. Don’t confuse Med/surg with pharmacy. Two different groups of supplies. If the vendor is approved, the VA can buy from them. The general public does not have access to this information to see the vendors. Hint: XP medical is approved. I would complain to the patient advocate. Pharmacy has complete control over this. Your doctor has very little effect. Your pharmacy is the one controlling the agenda. Your congressman may be of some help. The VA generally doesn’t like hearing from them about concerns of poor veteran care.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:15 pm 

Don wrote:
Pork chop,
I can tell you from experience that what your hearing is incorrect. The VA can get abenas, dry 24/7, etc. It’s called a non formulary purchase. There are many vendors that are approved to sell these items to the VA. Your VA is just being difficult and refusing to deviate from the formulary. Don’t confuse Med/surg with pharmacy. Two different groups of supplies. If the vendor is approved, the VA can buy from them. The general public does not have access to this information to see the vendors. Hint: XP medical is approved. I would complain to the patient advocate. Pharmacy has complete control over this. Your doctor has very little effect. Your pharmacy is the one controlling the agenda. Your congressman may be of some help. The VA generally doesn’t like hearing from them about concerns of poor veteran care.

I used to get from XP Medical, I was told by the VA that they stopped dealing with the VA because of a payment dispute?

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:43 am 

I still get Abena from the VA. They try to cover up the company's shipping label to them, but sometimes it is not a good job. True to government agencies, they buy it from the cheapest vendor. I agree with Don, there is someone who doesn't want to do the extra work. Have you tried to go through the patient advocate? They can help if they know where to find the information saying this is how it is done.

I'm not 100% sure if the form the link takes you too is what would be used, but it is a start.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiKrM6Mka3kAhVEiqwKHfLvAqUQFjAAegQIABAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.visn15.va.gov%2Fservices%2FNonVA_NF_Form%2520Fax%2520Version.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2hU66U1S7wLiULtZD6a0Uc