www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:46 pm 

Are there no disposables on the market that don’t break down and bunch??? I’m quite active in the Texas heat and humidity, and simply can’t find a product that won’t break down other than pull-ups! Most of the time I need more than a pull-up so I have relied on cloth for the most part, much due to the terrible issues of disposable diapers. When my kids were in diapers, theirs never seemed to break down, and kids are wild, crazy active!!
When I was a young girl and able to fit into large children’s diapers, I don’t remember any issues like this!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:55 pm 

Hey Ellyn, you might have answered your own question. What about adding a baby diaper to a diaper or pull-up as a sort of booster? I've actually done that and since the main diaper doesn't get wet, at least at first, in my experience it doesn't seem to break down and clump. Obviously at some point you will have to remove the soaked baby diaper, which should take all of about ten seconds without even removing the outside diaper! Then just use the "main" diaper, and yes it too will eventually get wet and break down, but this entire process may well last longer than your activities. Although I usually use a Male Guard pad as a booster in exactly this fashion I have used a baby diaper many times and they work amazing well.

One last thought, you might even try using a small cloth pad inside a disposable, I do that at night but I've never tried it in an "active' situation but who knows, it just might work.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:47 am 

I discovered a diaper recently that doesn't seem to break down and clump: ID Slip Maxi Prime. It's probably the stiffest diaper I have ever encountered. If you can get hold of a sample, it might be worth trying.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:03 am 

Ellyn, you did not tell us what diapers you are having difficulty with. I have not had any problems with ConfiDry Dry 24/7 or Inspire +In Control. I wear both of those with NorthShore Care booster pads for quite extended periods. I also have had good luck with the Northshore Supreme.

--John
(double incontinent)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:39 am 

had good luck with both the Northshore Air Supreme and ID Slip Maxi "hard to find" in the pretty hard to break em down category.
pretty physical job for 8 hours a day and can only think of one time over the last 10 years I had a breakdown issue and pretty sure it was not either of these 2.
as a bonus both of those have fantastic wicking ability. I think the high amount of fluff to sap ratio helps keep em together.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:09 am 

I’ve tried many of the premium diapers over the years but I have not tried the Northshore products yet. I have aimed at the “”medical” brands and have avoided the ABDL offerings, though maybe I need to rethink that and try a few (recommendations here). Also I’ve purchased mostly lesser costly premium diapers (or disposable combinations) of no more than $2.00 each change. Paying any more than that for something you have to change every ~6 hours simply seems wrong to me, Wearing an uncomfortable diaper longer than you need to seems wrong to me too, not to mention very unhealthy for your skin. Unless I’m in a pinch, I rarely take a diaper to anywhere near max capacity. Some would say that maybe I should go to less costly alternatives then.... I’ve tried that route too and found that cheaper diapers are just that. They don’t hold the wetness well and always seem to break down after a short time. They get a D- for comfort in my opinion.
The Abru Form M4 and ComfiDry 24/7 are the main “go to” brands, but I’m much less than a satisfied customer due to break down, though the 24/7 does seem to be marginally better.
Even though I have to change cloth diapers more often to stay comfortable, they still seem like the better over all choice for me, but there are times when disposables are needed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:14 am 

The Northshore plastic backed Supreme hold up better than any disposable I've tried. The Northshore Mega style are very absorbent, but tend to bulk up a lot in the front and don't spread liquid as well as the Supreme. I have tried most everything...Abena, Molycare, Tena and others. I prefer cloth for comfort and wearablity, but when traveling they just don't work out. Northshore has been very easy to work with in the past and good with samples. I will say, with their new web site, I have not been able to log into my account.....guessing they will sort that out in time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:29 am 

Ellyn wrote:
I’ve tried many of the premium diapers over the years but I have not tried the Northshore products yet. I have aimed at the “”medical” brands and have avoided the ABDL offerings, though maybe I need to rethink that and try a few (recommendations here). Also I’ve purchased mostly lesser costly premium diapers (or disposable combinations) of no more than $2.00 each change. Paying any more than that for something you have to change every ~6 hours simply seems wrong to me, Wearing an uncomfortable diaper longer than you need to seems wrong to me too, not to mention very unhealthy for your skin. Unless I’m in a pinch, I rarely take a diaper to anywhere near max capacity. Some would say that maybe I should go to less costly alternatives then.... I’ve tried that route too and found that cheaper diapers are just that. They don’t hold the wetness well and always seem to break down after a short time. They get a D- for comfort in my opinion.
The Abru Form M4 and ComfiDry 24/7 are the main “go to” brands, but I’m much less than a satisfied customer due to break down, though the 24/7 does seem to be marginally better.
Even though I have to change cloth diapers more often to stay comfortable, they still seem like the better over all choice for me, but there are times when disposables are needed.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned TotalDry products. I'm pretty active here on the swampy east coast, and I'm actually wary of running in anything other than the TotalDry Overnight or X-Plus (https://totaldry.com/shop-products/fitted-briefs.html). Their tapes and landing zone are excellent, but they also don't clump after a 4 mile run.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:30 am 
Admin

Hi Ellyn. I’ve tried many brands of diapers, including some ABDL brands. Not many, but a couple. For me, I generally don’t need an 8 hr diaper. I’m disabled and unable to work. I do get out of the house but just take a bag with me to keep in my car with a couple spares and some wipes to change. I know many people here are bent on finding a diaper they can get 8 hrs from. For me, that would be overkill. I just change when necessary and forget about it. I asked myself a long time ago if a diaper like that was necessary. I don’t think it’s healthy for the skin to be in a wet environment for that long and I’m sure my dermatologist would agree. To me, it feels gross. I didn’t really need to go that long between changes. Now this is just me. It may not apply to others and I understand there maybe situations where a diaper like that is necessary. I use Abena M4’s with an abrilet booster and get along just fine. I live in Florida. It’s 100 degrees outside right now. I try to stay inside during the hottest parts of the day. Combinations of sweat and urine will break down a diaper quickly. It doesn’t matter what brand I’m wearing. I just bring spares. Changing in public doesn’t generally bother me. I try to be as discreet as I can. I’ve never encountered anybody that really cares. In public, I change in the handicapped accessible stalls because I need the space. Then I can use the wall to lean against. For me, I don’t need to wear a diaper for as long as possible. It’s just unnecessary. Like you mentioned though, to alleviate breakdown for me, cloth was the only way to go. I couldn’t make it work out of the house though. So I’m back in the disposables and I just change accordingly. I do wear dry fit clothing in the summer and lightweight clothing as much as possible and that seems to help keep cooler.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:45 pm 

ellyn the northshore brand is not abdl rather more like picking up the equate branded wal mart diapers northshore being the store the northshore brand diapers are their generic store brand i hope this helps