www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: No-Diapers Hospital
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:39 pm 

I don't know the policy of the hospital I'm going to for my amputation tomorrow but I brought my own to be safe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:08 am 

justej wrote:
I don't know the policy of the hospital I'm going to for my amputation tomorrow but I brought my own to be safe

Hey man, how did your amputation surgery go? thinking about you

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:02 pm 

Thank you for your insight, Adam!
my experience the pads they use have about the same level of skin dryness that the cheap diapers do! also, the pads are not the only thing that tends to get wet, the blankets the sheets as well as the gowns/clothing. If they are actually seeing fewer sores maybe it is working to some level but not for patient comfort! and I can't see them saving much money either way.

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:34 pm 

Skin protection is a serious issue for Me. I'm quadriplegic. I've been in and out of the hospital more times then I can count. Its true they often don't use briefs in bed anymore. It works well for Me as a woman. I often at home in bed even just lay on a bed pad. Its easier for My attendent or husband to clean up. I really only need a diaper when I'm in My chair and if I leave the home. or for over night. As I need to be turned and reposititioned several times a night. When I was still able to manage a bowel program. My caregivers usually did in on a bed pad. I have some fairly severe heath issues but I have not had a pressure sore or bad rash in a long time. I don't get out in this heat either as My body has issues regulating temp. I was in a long term care facility for a few months some time ago. And they still use the incontinence briefs.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:03 am 

Brandie, in your case I can see why bed pads work better. However, as a general policy I still maintain that "no diapers" hospitals subject their patients to unnecessary humiliation.

--John

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:41 pm 

That's horrific, thanks for the warning of what to ask for! :O

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:26 pm 
Admin

I have a rare nerve disease called autonomic neuropathy. I have nerve damage to the parts of my central nervous system that controls involuntary bodily functions. I have serious heart and breathing problems, issues with my digestive system called gastroparesis and I can’t regulate my body temperature well. I stay inside most days in the summer unless it’s early morning or late evening. Brandie, I understand on that one. I have problems with very low heart rates and labile blood pressure causing me to collapse. It’s terrible. I’ve been hospitalized 15-20x. I lost count actually. I’ve also had several surgeries. I’ve always been able to take my diapers with me into the hospital. Usually I’m mobile. Even when I was immobile after surgery, I just asked. I can’t say I’d want to sit on a chux pad for my soils but going through a diaper change by a nurse or tech is also embarrassing. My wife is a nurse on a cardiac floor and has a lot of incontinent patients. She sees it every day and says it doesn’t bother her to help care for her patients. I’ve been changed by staff and my wife and it still bothers me. I try to help and turn when I’m unable and just get through it as quick as possible. I know it’s their job but I’m still embarrassed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:10 pm 

was in a nurseing home few years back and they kept the elcheapo diapers and did away with the bed pads any clue to this one