www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:20 am 

Hi everyone!
I’m about to reorder disposable premium diapers and need a few recommendations.
I’ve been using Abena M4 and ComfiDry 24/7 for my tabbed needs for several years, but I think it’s time to re-evaluate the options. I have very heavy leakage and occasional floods. When not in cloth, I only use super absorbent premium diapers unless I’m in a pinch. I usually use plastic backed because of tape adhesion issues. I live in the south where it’s very hot and humid, and am outside a lot. Normally I wear cloth under a dress but there’s times when cloth just isn’t practical. Cloth doesn’t bunch up and becomes very uncomfortable and much more obvious when damp.
I need a disposable that won’t leak....(duh), highly absorbent for floods, is less likely to bunch, tape tabs hold, has leak guards that work well, maybe has elastic at the leg openings. I nearly always use a light compression brief over the diaper. Interestingly, when I wear Tena pull-ups with a booster they NEVER bunch and work pretty well, but often leak a little when I flood.... Why can’t tabbed diapers be made the same way???
Suggestions please!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:16 am 

You’re already using ConfiDry 24/7, which is one of the best. BetterDry is comparable to it. Rearz Inspire+ InControl has an even greater capacity than ConfiDry or BetterDry, but the Rearz product is thicker and harder to wear discretely.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:43 am 

I am also principally a cloth user at night and at home. If it were practical I'd be 100%. For out and about I use plastic backed disposables. I've tried everything worth bothering with...I think....including Tena, Molycare, Abena L4's and a number of the pull-ups from these companies. For a good while I settled on the Abena L4's.
Last year I switched over to the Northshore Supreme line. I don't care for their cloth backed products. The Supreme and Supreme Lite plastic backed briefs fit and work well. They tend not to bunch and spread liquid throughout the brief. I am looking to a bit of travel, so cloth will be out overnight. I tried their "Mega" briefs. They are bulky, but pretty can pretty well work as a night time solution. For overnight travel, they seem to be the bast solution. I have had minor leaks...I'm a side sleeper. I use disposable bed pads when traveling.
Good luck with the South Tejas weather!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:27 am 

Hi Ellyn:
I've got a suggestion that is a bit unusual but just may work well for you. How about trying to get the best of both types of protection, specifically cloth and disposable, at the same time? Why not put a small folded cloth pad inside of a premium tab diaper like the ComfiDry 24/7 ? I wear a combination (pull-up+cloth pad) similar to this at night and it works great for me. For the pad I use a WalMart 28" square Flour Sack Cloth (5 for $5) folded into a 8 or 12 layer pad and put that into my disposable diaper. The cloths are 100% cotton and soak up floods incredibly quick and then distribute the wetness evenly to the disposable.

There's really not that much extra bulk associated with the folded pad. In addition it may allow you to use a slightly smaller capacity disposable, like a Northshore Supreme Lite or Abena M4, due to the pads ability to distribute the wetness to all part of the disposable. I know that you are quite use to cloth being next to you so that may even be a bit more comfortable too. And hey, this may be a great chance to try one of their colored Supreme Lite diapers! :o

Another nice thing is that the pads are small enough that you can just give them a quick rinse in the sink and then put it in a diaper pail to wait for the next wash. Of course you can always hang them out to dry too. As I've said this has worked really well for me and may just be the solution to your issues.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:38 pm 

As others have stated the BetterDry, Inspire+, Dry 24/7 are all great products worthy of trying but you should also look at the new MegaMax from Northshore! Our review will be coming in just over a week and well without giving a way to much... you might want to give it a shot! but if you normally use a medium size you might want to try a small...

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:28 pm 

Are they still making the plastic backed Abena M4s? All the places in the UK that used to sell them have stopped and I heard rumours that Abena had discontinued them. Shame as they were brilliant (the L4s too). We don't have the equivalent of ConfiDry 24/7 here.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:47 pm 

The Abena plastic backed M4/L4 are still easily available here in the US. I'm not sure if they are actually made here or not but the story I recall is that they were going to make them for the US market only, not sure why though.
I'm not sure where you are located but I know Better Dry diapers are as good or better than 24/7's and are available in Europe.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:33 pm 

HumanFly wrote:
Are they still making the plastic backed Abena M4s? All the places in the UK that used to sell them have stopped and I heard rumours that Abena had discontinued them. Shame as they were brilliant (the L4s too). We don't have the equivalent of ConfiDry 24/7 here.

While you can find no mention of it from Abena the plastic-backed version is still available in North America, they wont say if or for how long they will continue to have it available, all of the marketing materials mention that they have are proud to be all cloth-like breathable products.

I would not count on this product sticking around.

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:05 pm 

I also have issues with flooding - usually at the worst times. When I'm working, travelling, etc. I have been using the NS Megamax probably 90% of the time. It handles floods very well, though it doesn't do a great job of distributing throughout the diaper. Containing floods, plastic backed, and secure tapes are priorities for me, and I LOVE the landing strip in the front. The tapes stay put and don't have a tendency to ride down and end up sticking to my leg, as some others do. Depending on how large a flood you have to deal with, the NS Supremes also work very well and are more discrete. They do a fantastic job of distributing liquid throughout, so you can make use of nearly the whole diaper. If you fluff them up, they are comfortable.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:20 pm 

Thank you for the recommendations so far!
My main system is cloth, day and night, though I sometimes vary the thickness (absorption) based on need (good day vs bad day), time between change, weather, clothes selection, and situation. I usually just double diaper and move on with the day though. Sometimes cloth just doesn’t make sense, like travel, extended time between change, clothing, etc. Just traveling from one major city to another in Texas usually means at least one change. A wet diaper in a garbage bag in the back of the hot car means “gross” at the end of the day!
My problem with most tab diapers that I’ve tried so far is bunching! I’m very active too, which is a problem sometimes. Except for my recent health issues, I’m usually very energetic and always on the move. I’ve tried various snugness of compression briefs, body briefers, etc, which has resulted in snugger = less bunching = more discomfort, especially as the temperature and humidity climbs.
A Tena pull-up with a super Tena Intimate pad works well for bunching, slimmer fashions, capacity, and such but is terrible for floods, which happens more and more lately. If it’s a slow flow, that system is great!
Maybe a cloth liner in a tab diaper will work well but there’s still the issue of travel. Dealing with wet liners is about the same as simply wearing a cloth diaper...
I need a well built, very high capacity, extremely “thirsty” diaper that won’t break down (bunch) when wet. Am I asking too much? It seems to me that most toddler diapers are much more durable than adult diapers... Before my hips got so wide (my teens), I could easily fit in a large toddler diaper. I don’t recall any bunching with them. Tena pull-ups don’t bunch....