www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:28 am 

So, I know how we as a community(the incontinence community as a whole, not this forum) is divided on whether to refer to adult absorbent products that are in fact diapers as..well, diapers. I'm the kind of person that likes to call a spade a spade. I use the term diaper when it comes to my own stuff. Briefs used to refer to the tabbed variety of adult products, but now they mean pullups as well. Now THAT gets confusing.

I have been in frequent contact with Sabrina Kimball, founder of Universal Changing Places, a grassroots advocacy movement to get adult sized power height adjustable changing tables in public venues. She is a caregiver for her 21 year old severely disabled (and yes, incontinent) son Greyson. She introduced to me the most creative euphemism for adult diapers i have heard of to date. She calls them seat covers. Get it? A cover for your seat (as in your backside, posterior, rear end)? Yeah, i had a chuckle when i realized that. Anyway, in our last conversation, I took her lead and use the term seat cover too. In fact, I very well may incorporate seat cover into my daily incontinence verbiage.. what about the rest of you?

Peace out!
Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:22 am 

When I was a child, I would always ask my parents "what are you getting me for my birthday." One year, my dad told me that I was getting seat covers. I thought, I don't have a car, I'm only a kid, why am I getting seat covers. It ended up being a sleeping bag. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:22 pm 

I don't think so. Personally, i think that will just cause confusion. Moreover, I find that using euphemisms send the tacit message that diapers are so unacceptable that we shouldn't even mention them by name. It's like the Lord Voldemort of medical products.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:33 pm 

MSUSpartan wrote:
It's like the Lord Voldemort of medical products.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II