www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Would you have a problem accepting incontinence help from a faith based ministry?
Yes, I would have a problem. I am not religious and want no part. 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
No, I would not have problems with it as long as products are good. 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 10
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:52 am 

Hypothetical question for you all.
This is for the non religious members of the group. If there were a way to get what you need for free if you qualify (Abena, BetterDry) if you met qualifactions, but it was though a ministry nonprofit tied to a Catholic parish with an explicit faith based mission of serving those in need, would you have a problem with it as long as they did not push any religious faith on you as a requirement for getting help?

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:01 am 

If I would need it - and there is no expectation that I have to visit the service... Yes... In fact - I even would think over to do volunteer work - as long as they can live with my philosophy for live and I have the feeling that it is something good... But this is really theoretical and I'm pretty sure that such a organisation will have a problem with people who have not the same faith - except they use this as a marketing (or should I say evangelisation) campaign...

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:56 am 

Myself being in the LGBTQ section of the community, I would have a hard time accepting anything from any faith organisation. Salvation army can ring their bells (seriously the one thing I dislike about visiting the USA at that time of year) all they like but they won't get a cent from myself. In Australia one higher officer of the Salv' army stated that we (LGBTQ) people should be put to death.
So no.... I won't give and also won't or wouldn't take anything from such organisations.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:41 am 

Wedgey wrote:
Myself being in the LGBTQ section of the community, I would have a hard time accepting anything from any faith organisation. Salvation army can ring their bells (seriously the one thing I dislike about visiting the USA at that time of year) all they like but they won't get a cent from myself. In Australia one higher officer of the Salv' army stated that we (LGBTQ) people should be put to death.
So no.... I won't give and also won't or wouldn't take anything from such organisations.

Thank you for your feedback. Wedguy, would you have a problem accepting help from a secular organization that acknowledges on their website a Church for helping them get started?

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:10 pm 

I can admit I voted "Yes for having a problem", even though I respect charities, Christian or not, as long as they don't push their faith or views on people.

I have accepted free food giveaways from the Finnish Lutheran (state) Church when I was a student and the local church was handing out EU food donations to students. But still I would be at odds to accept substantial help from a religious charity. I have had unpleasant encounters with religious people, so I tend to be a bit wary around them. Still: even thouh I am atheist, I like churhces and occasionally go to them to let my thoughts settle. I sometimes light a candle, too. As for diapers: if I really needed aid in getting them and a religious charity was willing to help, I might accept their assistance, but I think I'd try to get them through the social and health-care services first with a prescription.

_________A BIT OFF-TOPIC SECTION______________________________________________________________

I have to clarify my perhaps odd-sounding view on charities: I come from Finland and we do not have a strong network of religious charities there. The system is supposed to help the needy and that's how we tend to see things, even though an increasing amount of people donate to charities (UNICEF, Church Foreign Relief) and NGOs.

Foodlines have sparked a debate lately as more and more people are struggling to survive. I believe that in many parts of the world foodlines are seen as an everyday fact. Many Finns view them as a national shame and a callback to the hungry years of early 1900s. Frankly, they are a disgrace: not the fact that there are people who need help or that there are groups who help them but the fact that foodlines are lengthening by the year and politicians lack the will to mend the system. There were no foodlines 30 years ago (or sure there were, but the visitors were mostly sick and lonely people or homeless and often alcoholic men, mostly veterans, who had lost the track after the war ended in 1944. Nowadays there are an increasing number of poor families, poor students, poor working people, poor elderly etc., the so-called "normal and decent" people needing the help of food banks.) In fact, approximately every eighth child in Finland lives in poverty. That is sad, and over the past decade the budget cuts have struck children, families and education the harshest. Now we harvest the crop those cuts yielded.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:21 am 

At some point, they will begin to proselytize (evangelize, witness, whatever you call it). Christianity in particular requires it as part of the faith. To say you promise not to do it would be a sin against your own god.

I don't see how the two could be separated.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:44 am 

I don't really have a problem with it being a faith based organization, or a secular organizatio; however, have a strong preference that the organization not register as a religious organization, because i don't trust the closed books. Especial an organization like the Catholic Church, where I might get like I'm supporting the rhetoric of an organizing that had a strong history of wrongdoing, and super deep pockets hidden in a foreign government.

Saying your church/faith affiliated is fine, so long as A) you don't have any faith based portion of the program (mandatory or not), and B) you register as a secular 501c3 rather than a religious 501c3.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:31 am 

sociologygeek wrote:
Thank you for your feedback. Wedguy, would you have a problem accepting help from a secular organization that acknowledges on their website a Church for helping them get started?

I'd have to question whether they were in fact secular if a church got them started.
If they were truely secular and not a faith driven organisation then I'd be open to dealing with that organisation.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:25 am 

It occurred to me last night, you've been asking if people would be willing to take help from a religiously affiliated organization, but you are only asking half the question.

If you're setting up a non profit, you'll be largely dependant on donations. Another big question, how likely are people to donate to religious organization. Personally, I'll never give any money to any religious charity. Their books aren't open, like all secular charities, so You can't be sure of how they're using your money. Other people may not want to give money to a religious organization outside their own church.

Honestly, the religious angle is probably just pretty limiting.