www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:42 pm 

realworldic wrote:
wearing absorbent products and changing at work is stressful occurrence for everyone going through it! you are not alone there!, We all tend to find a way to manage eventually, things that can make it easier with the things you mentioned using a clothlike backed product may help with the changes in the daytime they are usually much quieter on removal and placement than plastic backed all-in-ones. I would suggest you invest in good PUL diaper covers as they can help on many items odor, noise, and leaks... when you go to change in the bathroom bring a plastic bag so you can disguise and cover any odor of the soiled product when you go to place it in the trash. Drink water as this helps keep odor reduced and is overall good for your system.
trying to go all day in the same product is not always the best course as odors can get strong over time, even if the product is capable of absorbing more fluid many products do not do a great job of containing and reducing odors effectively try changing the pad or brief at lunch and see how that works for you.

when it comes to bowel issues this becomes MUCh more tricky the best thing is to try to avoid accidents and that comes from bowel management I know you get up at 4 am to get to a bus and that makes things really hard but there are ways to train and manage the bowels that can help reduce accidents. I have IBS and to avoid issues I always get up an hour earlier than I need, drink some coffee and that usually triggers a movement, I also adjusted my diet to remove foods that trigger the accidents, you should try to find foods and things may make your gut uneasy. there are other helpful Bowel management techniques that work well but they are best taught by doctors and or Continence nurses so it would be best for you to seek out that information from experts.

it does get easier and you will find the tricks that work for you! it just takes a bit of time and some experiments and a bit of bravery to get over the worst part! most people will never know you use pads or breifs.

Changes are nervewracking for me. I have tried pullups at work, but I've had way too many close calls and a few disasters. The only thing that works for me is a premium tabbed brief. I have sensitive skin, so I have to drink lots of water to keep my urine from being caustic. This kind of ensures that I need heavy protection. I'm a bigger guy (former boxer), so my frame disguises the bulk of thicker diapers.

I usually have to change around noon or 1 pm, and I can choose from one of two bathrooms my office has and one in the locker room of the building (this one is a solo bathroom, so ideal). I'll take whatever diaper I'm changing into and put it in an accordion folder. Changing in the handicap stall is really the only acceptable way to go. It is truly awful to have someone come in to use the bathroom while I am mid change.

After that, I'm not even sure I'm disposing of the used diaper acceptably. I'll roll it up and wrap it with the tapes, then throw it in the trashcan. I'm too ashamed to even ask if this is ok from the building's perspective or what else to do.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:22 pm 

Doggles:
Pull-ups, even with a good booster or pad, surely don't work for everyone, even the premium ones. There's nothing like a good tape-uo diaper when you've got larger voids or for extended time periods. Getting the correct level of protection is always a very personal thing and almost always takes a bit of experimentation to get it right.

BTW...Wrapping up the diaper is definitely the way to go but in addition I would recommend taking a folded up plastic shopping bag in with you and put the wrapped up diaper in that before disposing of it in the trash. It will nearly eliminate any oder for at least a day and will disguise the fact that there is even a diaper there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:26 pm 

A little update on office/shift work and wearing protection to the "bureau".

I've worn different types of diapers to work now. Mostly mid-absorbency Tena or Seni Slips. Also something called AMD slip, but it gets soggy and clotted quite rapidly even from normal body heat and moisture, although it is light and airy if changed often, i.e. after each wetting.

Now that our SD is adequately staffed and most people are back from their holidays I've even managed by wearing a mid- to heavy absorbency Molicare pull-up -which is somewhat more comfortable and significantly less conspicuous (although the bulk from briefs isn't that bad either) is also much better for the Eastern European heatwave that has been hanging above us for the last three weeks. They are also silent, so no echoing of tabs opening in the toilet stall. Good for post-work gym-sessions too -unnoticeable under sports shorts.

However,last week, when we were seriously short on staff and it was difficult to take toilet breaks as the days were busy for one man (me) to handle all the customer contacts, I wore a Seni Trio just in case. It proved a saving grace as, when I finally got my breaks, I had trouble emptying my bladder completely after holding it in for such a long time and having painful spasms, so ended up having post-voiding accidents each day. Really helped on post-work rush hour in the bus, too.

I must say that Trio is a great diaper. A bit bulky, sure, but not too noticeable and very comfortable even in extended wear. Has enough absorbency, too: even when wet it does not sag, bulge heavily or let out odours. Saved my infernal week that pack, that's for sure.

-Ü.