www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:17 pm 

Well the end of 2018 was down right miserable. On December 20th I was admitted the the hospital for what I though was a kidney stone, My white blood cell count was through the roof and the C. word was even put out there. After a CT. scan it turned out to be very severe diverticulitis with several abscess. (Funny thing is that I had been to the same hospital just two weeks before for what I though was constipation) I ended up spending the next twelve day in the hospital. I had two drains put in to clear the abscess. At intake I went through my hole medical record. My bed wetting and all. The first seven day I was NPO which meant no food or liquids by mouth. I was on high dose antibiotics and IV fluids. So here come the issue that I am dealing with now. During my stay I had just two very small accidents during my sleep. I am normally a tummy sleeper and had to sleep elevated and on my back the hole hospital stay. The thing is that my mom is now on me about not having a lot of wetting issues in the hospital. She flat out told me that I need to stop wearing diapers and try to just wake up and go to the bathroom or work with my DR. to try to solve this issue. Mind you this issue has gone on for 19 years. The thing is that I was not allowed any liquids tell the last four day in the hospital and once my system was digesting liquids I was right back to my normal issue, which I tried to explain to her. We left the conversation with me saying that it is not something that is that easy to change and that IV fulids are vastly different that actual drinking. I just don't know were to go from here as I am almost out of supplies and now think that asking for my mom to buy me some would be a bad conversation.

Develop from the negatives
Take another shot!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:47 pm 

Hi, 'FLguy. I'm sorry that you have had a medical setback. Are you still under a doctor's care? If so, I would tell him/her about the issues with your mother, and ask if they can hook you up with a social service organization that can provide your diapers, if you can't afford to buy them or you need to have them delivered without a shipping charge. I think most if not all hospitals have a social worker.

Your mom seems to have a history of reacting strangely to your needs and of not being there for you. I wouldn't count on her ever stepping up.

The last post from you that I recall seeing is one in which you stated that you were planning to hook up with a minister and help him start a church. Did that work out? If so, can you look to him to perhaps help you get diapers and/or explain your issues to your mother in a way that she can understand? I can't remember whether or not you told him about your bedwetting, but I seem to remember that you were planning to do that.

I'm concerned about you, and I hope that you will reach out to your doctors for whatever help they can provide. I hope your diverticulitis has now resolved, and that the diaper issue resolves very soon. Best wishes for the new year.

W.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:13 pm 

ThatFLguy:
I have a case of Tranquility ATN's (size Medium) and some lesser quality diapers (size Large) that I would be happy to provide to you free of charge. I'm in the northeast central part of the state, what (general) area of Florida are you located in? I might be able to get them to you pretty quickly if you're not too far from me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:36 pm 

So a bit more. Me and my mom talked more tonight and it is not that bad. She and my Dad have pay for a lot of my supplies in the past. What she wants to see now is that I try to get some answers. I flat out refused to get more testing when I was younger after being giving drugs to take and going through a lot of tests. I was old enough to say no and did just that. My mom always has my back, she is the reason I graduated high school and am in college for my masters degree now. She is not against paying for supplies but because I have the opportunity to see doctors now she want me to try to get treatment.... The thing is that I will not take drugs, hate having a wet bed and feel dehydrated all time. I drink about 3L of liquids a day. I have more doctors appointment for the next two weeks and will be bringing this issue up to them like I did during my hospitalization. I am not afraid to get answers but wearing a diaper to bed is better than some of the opinions that were available, so I don’t see a change soon. I have some money coming soon so I will be able to buy more supplies then.

Take another shot!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:49 pm 

I was glad and relieved to read that your family issues seem to be resolved. Folks who have never been forced to endure invasive and embarrassing medical procedures and medications whose side effects are more disruptive than the conditions they try (often unsuccessfully) to solve often need to become, gently, informed about what we must endure. I am glad for your success; keep us informed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:08 pm 

So Monday I ended up going to the hospital again with a lot of abdominal pains. Got another ct and found that I am not able to fully empty my bowls. I was sent home that night with maralax and given tramatal for the pain. I have a follow up with my GI doctor on the 25th and i am going to call them tomorrow. I had a better talk with my mom and got all of my supplies ordered today so that was nice. I hate having to take pain medicine just to feel normal and the tramatal makes me not feel when i have to pee so i am only taking it at night for now but almost just took it today due to so much pain. I hope to get better answers from my GI doctor soon..

Take another shot!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:06 pm 

:? :? Well I had my follow up with the GI Doctor. I will be having a colonoscopy next Wednesday and then follow up with the general surgeon on the first week of February. At this point it is just a matter of when they are going to do bowel surgery and not if. My GI doctor explained that most people at fourth have some diverticula but they are very small. Well even my last CT on the 14th showed that mine are a lot bigger and therefore me dangerous to just let go. When I was in from December 20th through January 1st they found two different infections that either one could have killed me it the absence had ruptured and I was not already at the hospital. I was not happy to hear that I will be needing surgery but it is what it is. Funny thing is that I will be have a colonoscopy on the same day and in the same office as my dad, we have different doctors and at different time but will both be doing prep at the same time. Lucky I have my own bathroom. I just don’t know if I should take a diaper or pull up for after I get out?? I wet the bed just about every night and I have never been put out for anything that I was not given a catheter for. (I had a bladder scope years ago) I don’t usually have issues while I’m am awake but during the recovery time while I’m still there is what I don’t know about??

Take another shot!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:32 pm 

How did this all turn out?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:16 pm 

MSUSpartan wrote:
How did this all turn out?

So I posted this in a thread a bit back. Got a lot of views but no replies so here it is again...

I had surgery on February 20th. They ended up taking out almost two feet of my colon. I am still out of work as my boss wants a note from my doctor saying that I am all clear to work because I was not willing to cover six hour shifts alone yet. (Don't trust my bowls yet). I did not tell him why just that I was not up to covering by myself yet. As far as the situation with my supplies. I got my school money and my sister raised so funds with a gofundme. That has helped a lot. Right now I am job hunting and also still in school. During follow up with the GI doctor last month I was told that the pylup they took out during my colonoscopy that was done before surgery came back as a pre cancer tumor and that it was good that surgery removed that section where the pylup was found but it is the type of tumor that can also be indicative of stomach cancer. The Gi Doctor is going to do an upper endoscopy to be sure that there are no masses in my stomach. Also a lot has gone down these last few weeks. The big one is that people from my church visited me in the hospital. One of the two pastor that showed up gave me some insight into how much he cares about people he knows. i hope that i can work my way into a new position within the church soon.

Take another shot!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:32 pm 

Wow. That's a lot to take. I wish you a speedy recovery.