www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:48 pm 

In the next couple of weeks I will be getting my right leg amputated. I have an aide 8 hours a day but that leaves me with 16 hours by myself. One thing I thought I could do would be changing laying down. I'll have to keep a supply of diapers by my bed. Its gonna take some maneuvering but I think I can do it. I like standing up to change but I just dont know how to do it on one leg. And what will I do when I'm out and about? I'll be in a wheelchair until I get my prosthetic. Thinking at midnight. I haven't gotten a good night's sleep since Thursday

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:34 pm 

That really sucks. I would start practicing changing sitting down.

I'm sure i missed it, but what happened with your leg? Diabetes?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:58 pm 

I remember your explanations of the difficulty you were having with your leg and foot, but I never guessed it was this bad. Can you get assistance for more than one shift per day? An occupational therapist taught me to change properly, safely, with my own medical issues. Perhaps, as you heal, an occupational therapist could do as much for you. Good luck and keep us informed.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:37 pm 

I am really Sorry it has come to this! I suggest practicing changing while lying down and sitting, as for a while I doubt you will be able to stand to change.. BUT I would bet that in time you will find a way to change standing up using a wall as the third hand which is what I do every day.

I hope you have a quick recovery!

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:55 pm 

Hey everybody. Sorry for the late response things have been really bad. My family is going through hell. In addition to my amputation, my aunt has been in and out of the hospital and currently back in for diverticulitis and my sister got diagnosed with ms.

MSUSpartan - no diabetes. I fell down an escalator 4 and a half years ago, broke my ankle in 4 places, and I have been through 6 surgeries and never healed.

Patrick- thanks. Never thought it would come to this either. I'm sure someone in rehab can tell me how to diaper myself. Was just wondering if anyone here has had to do it and had any insight.

Realworldic - thanks. I've done laying down but not sitting up. I'll have to try that. I'm getting a prosthetic eventually but not for awhile.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:40 pm 

Shit man. That sounds really rough.

Keep your chin up, if you can.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:10 am 

I don't know how practical or helpful this might be, but maybe if you tried posting up in a corner of your room. This would provide the stability that your other leg would have. Of course, this might be a little more precarious than changing while lying down, but if you are out in public, it's an option.