www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:49 pm 

I guess that inappropriate vs appropriate humor depends a lot on one’s past. I have had incontinence issues for most of my life, highly affecting my early school days, through high school. Kids can be very cruel towards anyone different. As a result, I don’t have much of a sense of humor about anything incontinence related and can be quite sensitive about the subject, maybe depending a lot on my mood and level of discomfort.
With my most recent health issues, I have had to see a few doctors and staff that I don’t usually see, who I have had to tell about my “issues”. I have had a few try to tie my incontinence to my recent medical problems.... Why do they do that? Not all ailments a tied to one another. Then I have to go through my whole history -again- to convince them that the conditions aren’t related.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:22 pm 

Glad you enjoyed my little anecdotes. I don't work for an ad agency....my wife just saw this particular offer with the postscript, "void where prohibited". I'd seen similar disclaimers many times and never gave them a second thought until my wife joked about the alternative interpretation.

I actually own a business that teaches people how to play chess. We work with children mostly, but I've also started teaching chess to adults recovering from brain injuries.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:11 am 

Yes - there are nasty jokes... but the really funny think is if people joking around not knowing that you are effected... I still remember the pale white face of a colleague from my team who started with such a dumb joke. After the laughter had died I explained, why I was signed of sick for 6 weeks and ask him, if he also have problems because of his attitude to make such jokes... He looks like he wished the ground would open and swallow him up... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:40 pm 

OMG!!! I think you have a bright future in both advertising and stand-up comedy, lol.

W.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:04 pm 

michael_dahlke wrote:
@Überaktive: ROTFL that great - you make my day! For which ad agency your working for. :-)

Thanks. :D
I don't. Work for an ad agency, I mean. I just find commercials and advertisements mostly absurd. I have background in writing and editing among other things.
Glad It made you laugh. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:37 am 

Hopefully one for the appropriate incontinence humor category...

As I was considering what protection I would need today this thought came to mind...
"Diapers are really just regular underwear with a little extra bulk and a lot of added Logistics".

Hey, when it comes to IC and diapers I try to find the humor in things when I can. :D

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:03 pm 

Hi

Having been through all the stages from denial to embarrassment then acceptance personally I don’t mind humour at all this actually puts me in the driving seat rather than the incontinence!

We all have to be mindful, compassionate and caring towards each other here as we are all at different stages in our various journeys to achieve our own brand of acceptance!

The humour section here helped and inspired me so much with the acceptance process and enabled me to be a happier person as a result!

Greenbank