www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reflection
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:59 pm 

What do you see when you look into the mirror? I mean really look?
What I see is a 40 year old (not a teen anymore, not ready for retirement) woman. A wife, a mother, a daughter, a Christian, an employee, a referee, a fighter, a survivor, ...
I’m not a quitter, unloyal, lazy, pessimist, .....
I love my husband, my boys, my family, my dogs, my country, my home, my....
I hate backstabbing, controversy, mayonnaise, ...
My point is that when we look at ourselves, we should see someone we are proud of, love, admire, ... We all have a few issues that we all work hard to deal with, control, fix (where possible). We shouldn’t let our issues define us, control us, depress us, ....
All too often I get depressed and need to work through it to come out the other side. It usually happens after a setback, confrontation, or the like.
Now look around. Really look. There is so many that are dealing with problems that make our issues seem so small and insignificant! People all over the town, county, state, country, world who are suffering, losing their lives, their families, etc.
I count my blessings daily! I thank God for my life, my family, my country, my way of life. I wear a diaper. So what?
Please send this to me next time I get depressed.

Post subject: Re: Reflection
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:03 pm 

Ellyn wrote:
I wear a diaper. So what?

Exactly. It's my feeling that we ALL make a bit too much of this at times.....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:46 pm 

Well said - and will do.

W.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:45 pm 

I'm in this state (depression) at the moment. I'm in physical pain so much. 99% of the time. I got out for a short trip to the store today which was nice but I paid for it when I got home. I look in the mirror and I see broken. Damaged. Since my accident my life has gone to crap. And to top it off I wear a diaper. I'm tired of fighting. I'll push on like always but I'm tired. Time for my treatment.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:51 pm 

I will pray for your rapid healing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:28 pm 

Great inspirational thoughts, Ellyn, and a good lesson in keeping things in perspective. Thank you!

This is why I love this forum. Though I roll with the punches most of the time, there are still days I get down about my situation and coming here always helps get me back on track.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:41 am 

Hey Ellyn,

thanks for brighten up my day a bit. Thank you for your words!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:29 am 

I too, get depressed due to my issues. Needing to wear diapers has gotten easier over time, but still anxiety sets in when out in public. Now, with the heart issues that have developed, and experiencing multiple tests more and more health professionals are seeing that I wear diapers. Embarrassing,ashamed, anxious, depressing, all begin to surface. Ellyn, I will keep this post handy, and refer to it at times. Well said.
Dennis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:37 am 

Well said.

Incontinence, although embarrassing, is the least of my health issues. Several of these issues could be lethal if I letdown my guard. My bowel incontinence is caused by GI paralysis, which makes me vomit in my sleep from time to time, and gives me a dull GI pain even when I think I have it under control. I walk like a drunk, and fall occasionally, risking a broken bone every time that happens. My health issues are like the tip of a pyramid. By-standers see only that tip, and are unaware of everything I must do to appear normal in public. Although I am proud of my success in coping, the downside is that friends, family and even distant acquaintances sometimes expect me to do things that are difficult, or impossible.

With you, I see myself as a fighter. Through no fault of my own, life has made me a fighter. Your essay is welcome indeed.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:07 am 

I’m sorry that your challenges are so severe Patrick. For me, being active in this forum has made me much more sensitive to problems that people are coping with around me, but I’m ashamed to say really only recently. I have come to realize that some struggle daily to put on a happy mask, when truly they are discouraged (I’ll stop at discouraged). It’s easy to sit here as a faceless entity and try to encourage with selected words and ultimately a message, but that doesn’t replace the face to face, gentle touch connection that might actually help. All I can offer is prayer for you and a sincere hope that you are better very soon.
Personally, my pain is mostly emotional in nature, which is nothing compared to those here with painful physical ailments. Needing incontinence products is such an insignificant solution to what truly is an insignificant problem, compared to those with real issues.
I pray that you have a person in your life that provides the emotional support that all of us need.