www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:44 pm 

For those of us who experience urgency and urge incontinence, the waves of urgency are disconcerting. Each subsequent wave is stronger and harder to resist. Many of us have to wear pads or diapers because of this. I am trying to transition to less protection by wearing pullons instead of the tape diapers. This allows me to use the toilet as much as possible instead of using my diaper. Any tips that have helped you deal with the waves of urgency until you can make it to the bathroom?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:06 pm 

A few things that have worked for many people to some degree are.

1. Relax! take a breath and not to strain to hold against the urge, the seems counter-intuitive but using relaxing techniques actually does work!

2. Do a kegel exercise! many people have said that they do a kegel exercise when the urge hits and they are able to gain some time to get to the restroom.

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:02 am 

I experimented with fitted briefs, but have been using pull-ups for a few years. The trick is to use the pull-up in conjunction with timed voiding. The urges will still come, but the void amounts will be way smaller. At least that's been my experience.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:08 am 

Kegels are a good exercise and its helped me reduce my overall urge incontinence

I like the idea of timed voiding. I try to use the restroom before my commute for that very reason. Nevertheless, I am surprised how much is still in my bladder when the urgency hits.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:25 pm 

OK- this post is a bit older - how ever I have also ones.

Actually it was pretty funny when I learned that. After my hospital stay I was for two week on rehab where I learned some techniques to deal with my incontinence and to improve my continence. We had also group meetings and one day the question came up how to deal with urge attacks. It was a mixed group and at last some of the clients seemed to have longer history with there incontinence then me.

While it comes to this question one of the clients came up with his way and to handle it and give us a presentation of it's technique. I remember that I had a hard time not rolling on the floor laughing, because despite of the fact that it looks somehow crazy I could't believe that this would ever work.

He stood up lifted one feed and start to massage his hamstring. After some giggles and meets of disbelieve the trainer drops in and ask us to try it by ourselves. What looked like a really stupid action had indeed a serios background. The trick was to do something "unexpected" to drive the attention of your body sensing to something complete different. This trick had a double effect - first you have to concentrate to keep your balance and second the awareness of the body is focused to a complete different region.

Later I'd tried it by myself and was astounded that it really worked.