www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diaper becomes loose
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:22 pm 

I use Abena M4 (bladder and bowel) I cant seem to get the diaper to be tight enough around the top. If I pull too tight then I worry I will rip a tab off. If I buy large then they are massive on me. I put the first one on in the morning lying down and then have to change standing up through the day.

Any thoughts about what I could be doing wrong?

Post subject: Re: Diaper becomes loose
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:26 pm 

I always tape my diaper tightly. I even pull in my stomach when taping the top tapes, to get a tight fit. But in recent years I haven't had a tab rip or even a tape pop open. If this happens to you you probably have a defective diaper.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:19 am 

LucOllie,

You did not mention your waist size or weight, but it is possible that a diaper that seems "massive" to you actually is your best fit. The important factors are whether the leg gathers and waist fit properly once the diaper is taped on. My proper fit is size XL and the diapers seemed "massive" when I first tried them.

If you repeatedly have the tabs actually tearing off of the diaper, you have taped it too tight.

As I hate sagging diapers, I tape my diapers very snugly. I then reinforce the tapes and never have a problem with the tapes popping off.

--John

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:25 am 

I’d like to offer my thoughts on a snug and confident fit...
First, I open the Abena M4 or Comfy Dry 24/7 up completely and raise up the leak guards.
I back up to a wall in front of a mirror (if available) with the diaper behind me at the proper waist height and lean into it.
I adjust it side to side to make sure it’s straight and equal on both sides.
I bring it up in front and usually start with the top left tape as I’m right handed. I tape it to a “normal” position, using the wetness indicators as a guide. On a 24/7, it’s a little more difficult as they don’t have wetness indicators.
I then tape the top right side, taping it snuggly, while pulling in my tummy a little. Getting the diaper on straight is quite important but not critical. It’s a personal challenge for me...
Then tape bottom left and then bottom right, snug but not too tight. Unless I flood, which happens occasionally, the leg seal need not be too tight. Adjust until comfortably snug.
I’m pretty active (work out, gardening, house cleaning, etc) so sometimes I use a long strip of wide tape over the tabs to reinforce the attachment. Sometimes the tabs will work lose or tear if taped too snuggly.
When I’m going to work, I wear a compression panty (not too tight) or pantyhose to keep it snug and in place. They also keep the noise down and in place if the diaper gets soaked.
It’s all about compensating for leakage issues with confidence and dignity. I’ve been incontinent nearly all my life and have pretty much been able to maintain my privacy. Also, each person is different, with different needs and abilities. With a little practice, I suspect most people develop methods and solutions that works best for them

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:49 pm 

Thank you so much for all your replies. I will try the suggestions!
My waist is 36 and my hips are 42 (I have to laugh because initially this felt like personal information! Lol, I’m discussing incontinence....measurements are hardly personal).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:22 pm 

The beauty of on-line forums is that you are able to share with people that have something in common, be it a hobby, a job, a lifestyle, or in this case a health issue. You’re free to share as much or as little as you are comfortable with, in an environment that, in this case is friendly and respectful. Common sense prevails however where it comes to respect for others and presenting the best part of yourself in a friendly social environment.
We’re all dealing with issues here, and all have something to share with kind people that understand, try to be helpful, and are non-judgmental.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:14 am 

Abenas were one of my first tapped diapers I wore when my incontinence started to get worse, I to am a 36 and found the mediums in most brands to be to small and the larger looked way to big. I now wear a large Betterdry or Forsite AM/PM and after 3 years they no longer look massive, you get use to the extra padding. the only medium that really fit me was the confidry dry 24/7 as rhey are cut a bit larger then other brands.

Try a large Betterdry or Forsite AM/PM or if you are in the States try a northshore brand then re enforce the tapes with hockey tape around the diaper to help keep the diaper snug you may find a lager diaper will solve your fit issues and you will get use to the extra padding.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:38 am 

Thank you again for all the suggestions. I will try the large size.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:50 am 

one of the hardest parts of finding an incontinence product is that each of has a different body style so what works for me may not work for you, also each brand is different so each of us should try a few brands to find the size and shape that works for us as individuals, based on the information you provided you may need to use the L4 over the M4 as your hips would better fit the Large over the mediums this would allow the waist to wrap more and may give a firmer fit, But you may need to find another brand. BetterDry, Dry 24/7 and Northshore Supreme products are very comparable in price or just a bit more expensive than the M4 in North America and tend to perform better. You should give each a try to see if any of them fit better!

For me, I have found that I get the best fit overall with the standing method when putting it on, as our body changes shape from lying down over standing.

If you really prefer the M4 the other option is to get some white duct-tape or and re-reinforce the top tapes this will ensure the tapes don't come undone but do make removal a bit harder but not terrible.

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:30 pm 

lucollie

2 things i have to say to try when you can not get snug fit is use a onesie or if that dont suit what you are wearing try a pair of leggings under your pants i use both and they work great for me hope this helps