www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:54 am 

I use BetterDry diapers, a light terry cloth over-pant and plastic pants. If the diaper leaks, the terry pants take care of it. I buy my plastic pants a size larger than the diapers. It looks a bit funny, but works better than any other combination I have tried.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:47 am 

I use a good quality night weight disposable (currently MegaMaxx or Better Dry) covered by a cloth pin-on contour diaper and plastic pants. Always have a 24x36 washable bed pad underneath. While this set-up works well, I do occasionally flood to the point of leakage, so the bed pad is a necessity. For travel, I use disposable bed pads. Also, I have some cloth boosters that I use when things are really not cooperating.

For a while I wore just cloth at night, but since I developed fecal incontinence every morning like clockwork, I started using the disposable as the first layer, which makes clean up much easier. I prefer the contours, as they are less bulky in the crotch and still provide the side coverage I need. As to the expense, I started with 2 and have gradually added a few more over time. I've found a couple places to get quality cloth diapers at reasonable prices, as well as plastic pants. PM me if you'd like info.

As an aside, now that I have maybe 7 or 8 good cloth diapers, I have been wearing cloth more and more around the house, which cuts down on the use of expensive quality disposables. Like you, at first I was hesitant as cloth is not as easy to "hide" from your spouse, but if she is as supportive as mine, you don't have anything to worry about. (But I get it - I still try to take care of my own laundry so she doesn't have to deal with them)

Edit: One other thought...if things are "cooperating" I re-use the cloth diaper until it needs washed. If the disposable catches everything, or even if just the edges of the cloth are a bit damp (not what I would call "wet") I will hang it up to dry/air out and use it again, which cuts down on laundry.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:58 pm 

RC-UK wrote:
I use BetterDry diapers, a light terry cloth over-pant and plastic pants. If the diaper leaks, the terry pants take care of it. I buy my plastic pants a size larger than the diapers. It looks a bit funny, but works better than any other combination I have tried.

Where do you get Betterdry from now? I had a pack from Incontinence Shop (which also trades as Drylife) but they were out of stock when my last lot ran out. They were pretty absorbent but I found that the sides weren't as long as they should have been and I found it difficult to get them round my sides properly. I'm in the middle of their "medium" size range but they would not do up properly on me.

But yes, the disposable/cloth pant/plastic or rubber combination works for me as well. I use the Kins towelling pants which Drylife sells as its own, with the same brand of rubber or plastic pants over the top. They are vital in the case of side leaks (which sadly are common in men when lying down). I kind of wish someone would do a training pant type product designed *for* containing leaks from disposables, which is less bulky than this arrangement.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:20 pm 

I have a PUR mattess encasing and a very thin PUR duvet cover under the normal duvet cover as well. I use normal disposables (Attends 10) for the night and they work mostly well. If not - what happen maybe one or two times a month, the duvet cover really helps because in this case not only bed but also the cover get's normaly wet and PUR cover helps to keep the blanked dry what is not that easy to wash.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:58 pm 

HumanFly wrote:
RC-UK wrote:

Where do you get Betterdry from now? I had a pack from Incontinence Shop (which also trades as Drylife) but they were out of stock when my last lot ran out. They were pretty absorbent but I found that the sides weren't as long as they should have been and I found it difficult to get them round my sides properly. I'm in the middle of their "medium" size range but they would not do up properly on me.

But yes, the disposable/cloth pant/plastic or rubber combination works for me as well. I use the Kins towelling pants which Drylife sells as its own, with the same brand of rubber or plastic pants over the top. They are vital in the case of side leaks (which sadly are common in men when lying down). I kind of wish someone would do a training pant type product designed *for* containing leaks from disposables, which is less bulky than this arrangement.

Northshore sells BetterDry briefs (diapers). On the advice of others here, I ordered a case last week. So far they have been working well for me. They do tend to swell significantly so I cannot imagine I would want to make it my choice for daytime protection. However, at night they absorb very well and swelling is less of an issue because I sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs.

I should also say, thank you to everyone who has posted about their night time setup and offered suggestions. I would eventually like to try cloth but I am going to hold off for now and keep going with the BetterDry and a washable bed pad underneath.

Regards,

Dallas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:27 pm 

I wear either a northshore supreme or an abena l4 with a tranquility booster, a plaid bedpad from northshore (I think its the champion? I have 2, I like it a lot), and a coveden disposable chux that has tape on the back that sticks to the reusable bed pad that I get from Medicaid. I usually also wear a garywear pul pants but sometimes I throw caution to the wind and go without.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:36 am 

HumanFly wrote:
RC-UK wrote:

I also get mine from Incontinence Shop, but they tend to run out quickly. If they don't have them, I go to their sister site and get Crinklz. Only my wife sees my overnight diapers, so we just laugh it off.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:26 pm 

Dallasinc wrote:
Thanks for the advice everyone. It does seem like cloth is the gold standard for overnight dryness.

I have to answer that with a resounding no. At least not me. I used Terry contours, 8 layers thick in center, with PUL pants, and leaked badly about once to twice a week. I used them for about a year. Between the laundry, the extra bulk, and the leaks, I couldn't wait to give up that experiment.

I hated cloth. I'm never going back.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:16 am 

MSUSpartan wrote:
I have to answer that with a resounding no. At least not me. I used Terry contours, 8 layers thick in center, with PUL pants, and leaked badly about once to twice a week. I used them for about a year. Between the laundry, the extra bulk, and the leaks, I couldn't wait to give up that experiment.

It is realy interesting to see how many of us prefer cloth. I also tried it and was not satisfied for couple of reasons.

First of all - the handling: You have to wash them soon after use otherwise they start to smell - so your washer runs nearly every day and you have to have the time to manage that. We experiaced this as a serios drawback, because both of us working fulltime. Even if I had programed the washer to let it runover the daytime, some one needs to be there to move the diapers into the dryer after washing. So the consequens was that the dryer had to run in the evening/night what was not acceptable because of the noise. I need a dryer, because we live in a small city flat and simply have no room to hang out things for drying and I don‘t like to see my diapers drying in my flat.

Second: Comfort. Yes - cloth works better when you are a side sleeper and yes - you can make them more absorbant then a disposable. But - at last for me I can say I don‘t feel comfortable with such a bulky think between my legs. In plastic pants I sweet and my experiance say - try to get as much air as possible to your skin to prevent it from rushs.

Third: Chemistry. Normally you have to change cloth much more frequently then a disposables for a simple reason - urin starts to to develop amonia in a diaper. This make cloth not the first choice for the nighttime, because the amonia cause skin irritations and you don’t wont to change over the nighttime frequently. Disposables normaly have chemics inside that delay the amonia development. This reduce the risk to get a rash.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:22 am 

michael_dahlke wrote:

I agree. Each of mine were made from an entire bath towel, and they usually took two full cycles in the dryer to get dry. The leaking and the rash were worse though. Laying in that wet, all night, meant the only time i ever got rashes was wearing cloth, and there was a distinct ammonia smell in the morning. I also couldn't stand to have any more padding, and i was still leaking. The PUL pants I had would leak sightly at the seam, and the vinyl was uncomfortable around my legs, and didn't make a great seal against my skin, so it would leak at the edge of multiple openings.