www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:11 pm 

I was on a Transatlantic flight last month for business. I usually put on a new Betterdry before I board. I stay well-hydrated and avoid alcohol whenever I fly to minimize jetlag.
I noticed several hours into the flight that I hadn't leaked since taking off. This is atypical because I usually dribble at least every hour with a more considerable accident every 2-3 hours. My diaper was still completely dry 2 hours into the flight. Around the 3rd hour, I had the sensation that my bladder was getting engorged as if I was developing urinary retention.
The passenger next to me was a mother with a newborn who was sleeping so there was no way I was going to ask her to get up and waken her baby.
Moving around in my seat didn't help. I couldn't force anything out to reduce the pressure/pain.
Luckily the baby needed to be fed 4 hrs into the flight and as soon as I got up, I completely flooded the Betterdry.
I fly frequently for business and this has never happenend to me. I don't know if this is due to the pressure in the plane, seating position or altitude.
I will say that urinary retention and the feeling of wanting to urinate but being unable to is worse than incontinence.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:34 pm 

I have had a similar (but not as bad) problem as you describe a few times and it turned out to be a combination of constipation and my seating position where both conditions were putting pressure on my urethra and crimping it closed. At the time I was on a long drive and when I pulled into a rest stop, and like you, stood up, the flood gates opened right there in the parking lot. Luckily my ComfiDry 24/7 contained the flood so there was no real problem.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:51 pm 

That sounds terrible! I had a uti once and was unable to urinate (imagine that!). I made a trip to the ER. Apparently they did their job as I’m back to “free flow”!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:10 pm 

Thanks Padded53,
Its a good thing you brought up the constipation.
I am usually regular but flying/sleep pattern changes can throw me off a bit.
After thinking about it, I missed my morning bowel movement when this happened so I am sure that contributed to this problem.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:25 am 

Being unable to urinate when you need to, whatever the reason, can be devastating. I was glad to read that you managed successfully.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:48 pm 

Thanks. I am glad this was an isolated event.
The sensation of feeling your bladder being so full that its about to burst is a terrible feeling.
After this experience I sympathize with those who have retention issues.