www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scared. Need to vent.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:58 pm 

Today was a rough day. I broke down today after talking with my brother about the fact that i was going to need surgery. I never thought that I would be even thinking about that idea. The worst thing is that it is looking like they may not be able to do the less invasive surgery in my case which would mean more down time. The other thing that is stressing me out is the things that I have read about the side effect of this try of surgery. Up tell now I have managed to only have night time issues and very rare day time issues. I have hard time now holding it when i have to move my bowles and have for a long time. To think that I will be worse after is not a present idea. I have been out of work for a month now and have been living of family and will likely need a new job. I will be getting school money soon but they may have to do the surgery while I am still in school. Luck I am online so I hope I can still work wile in recovery. The other thing that is bothering me to day is that I will be having a colonoscopy next week and have no clue what to do after. I am leaning toward taking a diaper with me for after because I have no clue how I will handle the anesthesia.

Develop from the negatives
Take another shot!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:09 pm 

I hope that we can be of assistance for you. If you have a gym bag, pack it with all the supplies you think you may need; if you don't use everything, so much the better. Needing to wear protection for the first time can be psychologically traumatizing, so good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:20 pm 

Patrick wrote:
I hope that we can be of assistance for you. If you have a gym bag, pack it with all the supplies you think you may need; if you don't use everything, so much the better. Needing to wear protection for the first time can be psychologically traumatizing, so good luck.

I have wore protection at night for almost 19 years. I has just been a while since I have had to wear during the day. Seeing things online about colon surgery make me more scared. In all the time that I have had this issue and even when I have had to wear during the day I can count on one hand the bowel accidents that I have had. The idea of not only having to wear post surgery is scary.

Take another shot!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:40 am 

it is natural how you are feeling it is the unknown what is the real issue deep down and it can be very scarry for many people facing surgery.

next Wednesday i have to have a sigmoidoscopy the ct scan has all ready shown that i have bowel disease but on the ct scan they couldn't get a clear picture of some kind of mass on the left side so are going invasive which has its risks, the risk is that they could go through the bowel as i have many thin walls due to diverticulitis.

i will be thankful to find out just what is wrong as it has made me so poorly and also causes incontinence due to that the rectum is now diseased.

i feel that surgery might creep in to put things right but that is just guess work for now

i am hoping to get some results on the day but if they take biopsy then it can be around 4 weeks.

one thing with forums like these we are not alone so never feel like you are.

for now take care,

mike in the UK.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:22 pm 

Well the 30th confirmed just how mess up me system is. I had my first colonoscopy and they found that my whole colon is

is involved with diverticulitis. My next appointment is with the surgeon on the 5th. My GI doctor feels that there is almost no way

that I will keep my colon. I am less worried about the surgery now and more about the side effects after. I know now that I

cannot avoid the surgery but there are different outcomes for the surgery depending on what they have to do. I am hopeful that

It will all be over with by the end of this month.

Take another shot!