www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:10 pm 

I can remember in the 80s purchasing Attends "Wrap Around Briefs" as they were called on the boxes they came in. yup cardboard boxes.
funny how despite proctor and gamble having the better product back then it was depends that won the day with marketing not performance.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:04 pm 

fanoftherichISC wrote:
I can remember in the 80s purchasing Attends "Wrap Around Briefs" as they were called on the boxes they came in. yup cardboard boxes.
funny how despite proctor and gamble having the better product back then it was depends that won the day with marketing not performance.

the print and TV ads certainly gave Depends the win over Attends or other options at the time. I do not know when the Depends ad "get back into life with Depend" came on the scene but it is and was the perfect slogan, the idea of these products is to allow people to do that very thing!

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:24 pm 

i maybe thinking wrong but when someone calls them briefs the first thing that comes to mind is pull ups and even at the hospital here they have both and when you ask them for a brief they will bring a pull up but if you ask for a diaper they will bring a diaper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:35 am 

since this is Adams thread. just a quick update on my personal issue with the megamax. the landing zone was digging into the skin near my hips/
so I got a sample of the med instead of the normal large. while I can barely get the tapes on the irritation is gone. so got a couple cases
of the max now and finally dont need to stuff at night. though I did hit the limit on one last week.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:23 am 

fanoftherichISC wrote:
since this is Adams thread. just a quick update on my personal issue with the megamax. the landing zone was digging into the skin near my hips/
so I got a sample of the med instead of the normal large. while I can barely get the tapes on the irritation is gone. so got a couple cases
of the max now and finally dont need to stuff at night. though I did hit the limit on one last week.

Thanks very much for the update.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:19 pm 

I'm on the same page with matt. I don't know when and how tape-on diapers came to be called "briefs". I had always associated the word "brief" with men's "regular" underwear. I initially thought that absorbent "briefs" were designed for male anatomy. Since pull-ups more closely resemble underwear as most people know it than diapers do, I think calling a tape-on diaper a brief is very confusing, and causes a great deal of frustration for people who are new to incontinence and trying to figure out how to manage it. They have enough to deal with (don't we all!) without the mystery and inconsistency of wordplay. I think a tape-on should be called a diaper and a pull-up is self-explanatory. This nomenclature should "prevail" throughout the industry, IMO.

Wetters

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:03 pm 

@Wetters

Concur

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:03 am 

Padded53 wrote:
... see nothing wrong with calling diapers generically "Depends" when speaking with the general population. I liken this to what probably 90%+ of us do on a daily basis when we call a tissue a "Kleenex".

Although I'm generally ok with the synecdoche, I don't like to give Depend the credit for adult diapers in general, because their products are so weak. It given KC free advertising they don't deserve.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:20 am 

This is a VERY timely topic. Personally i call a diaper a diaper in my own personal life, but in the context of taking care of someone else i discouraged a fellow caregiver (in this case an adult counselor) from using the term diaper when refeerring to an adult camper's undergarment in front of said individual. The fact that people are insulted when they are sent tabbed briefs/diapers instead of pullups is really telling. Both perform the same function. The sad truth is that many people buy into the lie that pullups will manage the most severe forms of incontinence when in fact most if not all (notable exceptions are Abena, Tranquility Wellness and Northshore care) pullups are woefully inadequate for moderate to severe incontiennce. They are fine for light dribbles or spurts, but for a full on bladder emptying.. i wouldn't trust a garden variety off the store shelf pullup any further than I could throw a case of them. They honestly look like pads with underwear attachted to them. There is very little difference in most pullups and lesser absorbent pads. Padding coverage on most is woefully inadequate. Thats why despite not having heavy to complete loss of control, I ALWAYS opt for tabbed briefs. The fact that some people find wearing one type of protection shameful but another not to be really speaks to the fact that we assoicate diapers as something other than "regular underwear" beceause of how it goes on. its like the difference between a turban and a hat. Both are head coverings, but a hat is one you just slip on (protective underwear) but a turban you have to wrap around your head (like you wrap a diaper/brief around your nether reigons.) Infant diapers are really nothing more than underwear for babies that just absorb the waste and contain it. Why else do plastic pants for cloth diapres resemble underwear? Yeah, looking a few posts back, a few people mistook tabbed for pullups because the tabbed ones whhen assembled look like pullups on the package. I rest my case.. Whether you put it on by stepping into it, or taping it on THEY ARE STILL THE SAME THING. Underwear. They just happen to be the absorbent variety. I wonder if there would be less stigma if there were snap on undewear on the market. They look just like boxers or briefs but they have snaps so you can remove them without pulling down pants. Actually they do exist. Or at least they should. It would be a great boon for those with disabilities!. Now, lets put htis to gether. Imagine a world where you have snap on undewear non absorbent undies for the average joe. People say, hey these are great! I can change my underwear without even getting out of bed! These are awesome! Then enter the picture of the dude having issues going to the bathroom. Think of Depend's infamous Underwareness ads. Combine the two and what do you have? Tabbed style briefs/diapers! The only difference between diapers and pullups is that one has more generous padding and tapes on to make it easier for people with limited mobility to put on. THATS IT. There's no other real diffence.

In regards to what you should call them.. tabbed briefs would be good for diapers.. and pullon undies should be good for protective underwear. To me, in terms of absorbent products the term brief has ALWAYS referred to tab style diapers. I think the real reason for this confusion is the VERY misguided push for the big manufactures to discourage tabbed style and push the pullups as the be all and end all of incontinence management. Thinner is NOT better. I hate pullups with a passion. The crotch is way too narrow.

Anyway im off my soapbox. Hopefully you found that useful Adam.

By the way, shout out to you for coming up with Megamax briefs... a friend of mine just started using them for her daughter for overnights and she says they have no leaks. Unfortunately, she was using Northshore air supreme and had leaks.. but for her, the Megamax work really well.. so thank you!

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:35 pm 

sociologygeek wrote:
This is a VERY timely topic. Personally i call a diaper a diaper in my own personal life, but in the context of taking care of someone else i discouraged a fellow caregiver (in this case an adult counselor) from using the term diaper when refeerring to an adult camper's undergarment in front of said individual. The fact that people are insulted when they are sent tabbed briefs/diapers instead of pullups is really telling. Both perform the same function. The sad truth is that many people buy into the lie that pullups will manage the most severe forms of incontinence when in fact most if not all (notable exceptions are Abena, Tranquility Wellness and Northshore care) pullups are woefully inadequate for moderate to severe incontiennce. They are fine for light dribbles or spurts, but for a full on bladder emptying.. i wouldn't trust a garden variety off the store shelf pullup any further than I could throw a case of them. They honestly look like pads with underwear attachted to them. There is very little difference in most pullups and lesser absorbent pads. Padding coverage on most is woefully inadequate. Thats why despite not having heavy to complete loss of control, I ALWAYS opt for tabbed briefs. The fact that some people find wearing one type of protection shameful but another not to be really speaks to the fact that we assoicate diapers as something other than "regular underwear" beceause of how it goes on. its like the difference between a turban and a hat. Both are head coverings, but a hat is one you just slip on (protective underwear) but a turban you have to wrap around your head (like you wrap a diaper/brief around your nether reigons.) Infant diapers are really nothing more than underwear for babies that just absorb the waste and contain it. Why else do plastic pants for cloth diapres resemble underwear? Yeah, looking a few posts back, a few people mistook tabbed for pullups because the tabbed ones whhen assembled look like pullups on the package. I rest my case.. Whether you put it on by stepping into it, or taping it on THEY ARE STILL THE SAME THING. Underwear. They just happen to be the absorbent variety. I wonder if there would be less stigma if there were snap on undewear on the market. They look just like boxers or briefs but they have snaps so you can remove them without pulling down pants. Actually they do exist. Or at least they should. It would be a great boon for those with disabilities!. Now, lets put htis to gether. Imagine a world where you have snap on undewear non absorbent undies for the average joe. People say, hey these are great! I can change my underwear without even getting out of bed! These are awesome! Then enter the picture of the dude having issues going to the bathroom. Think of Depend's infamous Underwareness ads. Combine the two and what do you have? Tabbed style briefs/diapers! The only difference between diapers and pullups is that one has more generous padding and tapes on to make it easier for people with limited mobility to put on. THATS IT. There's no other real diffence.

In regards to what you should call them.. tabbed briefs would be good for diapers.. and pullon undies should be good for protective underwear. To me, in terms of absorbent products the term brief has ALWAYS referred to tab style diapers. I think the real reason for this confusion is the VERY misguided push for the big manufactures to discourage tabbed style and push the pullups as the be all and end all of incontinence management. Thinner is NOT better. I hate pullups with a passion. The crotch is way too narrow.

Anyway im off my soapbox. Hopefully you found that useful Adam.

By the way, shout out to you for coming up with Megamax briefs... a friend of mine just started using them for her daughter for overnights and she says they have no leaks. Unfortunately, she was using Northshore air supreme and had leaks.. but for her, the Megamax work really well.. so thank you!

Thanks for all your great insights and feedback. I really appreciate it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next