www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:45 am 

I prefer diaper over brief - I really cringe when someone uses the generic "depends".
I like the idea of using the tape-on and pull-on terms to help differentiate between the two.

In many languages, they only have one word for diaper, and it says just that on the packaging. Other cultures have no need to try and soften the blow. If you wet your pants, you wear diapers - there is no age discrimination.

Maybe its a generational thing. There are many things my parents didn't talk about that people my age have no issue with. Even less so with someone half my age. I'm 49, incontinent and wear diapers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:51 pm 

I have an idea we'll still be thrashing this out next year -- in five years -- in ten years.

My two cents.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:17 am 

Frankly, I find the idea that not using the word diaper is somehow sparing people from stigma to be incredibly misguided. Dancing around it, and acting like it's an unimaginable insult, just reinforces the idea that it's shameful to use diapers. So shameful that we dare not even speak the word. How immature is that logic?

If you want to help reduce the stigma of diapers, don't act like they're something to be ashamed of.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:02 am 

MSUSpartan, If we could use a "like" button, I would have hit it! Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:09 pm 

One ramification of the acceptance issue here is that this is a business. If Nothshore, or any other business, cannot sell product, it will cease. It cannot afford to offend potential customers, or long-time customers. The stigma attached to incontinence and the measures necessary to deal with it complicate the question of terminology. For those of us who have surmounted this issue and moved on with our lives, it is a non-issue; however, for those suddenly forced to deal with it, it can be threatening indeed. Standardized terminology across the industry would make our lives so much easier; it may come, in time, but perhaps a full generation of time will be needed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:52 pm 

MSUSpartan wrote:

If you want to help reduce the stigma of diapers, don't act like they're something to be ashamed of.

well said!

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:30 pm 

Adult briefs or for “old people”. Diapers are for children and babies. I prefer the one that makes me feel younger.
More seriously
I call them diapers. I’ve always hated candy coating things. I call things as they are. They are diapers so they are diapers. I do understand the concern with calling them diapers. However it seems to be the sign of a larger social issue. We live in a world were our elders are infantilized and de-valued. They are seen as childish. This is far from the historical view of elders as wise and knowledgeable. I think the term diaper reminds people of this tendency, and makes them uncomfortable. So they avoid it, versus changing the way that view people.
Maybe it will help to bring this topic more to the forefront. Include a small disclaimer talking about stigma, and bringing up different views on the term, and the company’s decision to include the word diapers as a way to fight stigma and respect all.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:48 pm 

You make a very good point Chipmunk.

Diapers are only a small part of the stigma many of us face. It's just a part of aging. Like moving a little slower, and needing reading glasses. Our society is so obsessed with youth, that is the focus of most advert campaigns.

While I liked the adverts that Depends did a few years ago, they only showed younger folks in "briefs". Doing younger folks things. I want to see a series with the theme around "aging just gets better". We are a powerful generation that isn't done changing the world. So really - if that helps us to engage with the world, so what? No different than reading glasses. Move on. Show that we are still a force to be reckoned with. We still volunteer for what we believe in, many are still working because they enjoy it.

Rant over, now back to your regularly scheduled program.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:43 pm 

They are diapers, so I call them diapers. The only way the stigma is going to be reduced or (hopefully) eliminated is if incontinence is viewed like any other medical condition that requires special appliances or garments. It starts by using the proper name for the appliances or garments (such as diaper rather than "brief" or "protection with tabs").

Folks who have varicose veins wear compression "stockings." That term has typically referred to women's hosiery, but in the case of varicose veins, the term refers to the special hosiery worn by both men and women. Manufacturers don't "cover up" what they are by calling them "socks." So, no stigma. Similarly, I don't have any issue with calling my incontinence protection a "diaper."

Football players wear "girdles," and the last time I checked 99.9% of football players are men. No stigma there.

There's no reason why incontinence should be stigmatized in modern society.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:48 pm 

This is a great discussion and I like that fact the we can have differing opinions and keep the discussion civil and appropriate as it should be. Clearly I am a bit on the other side of this and see nothing wrong with calling diapers generically "Depends" when speaking with the general population. I liken this to what probably 90%+ of us do on a daily basis when we call a tissue a "Kleenex". I also see this as a baby step toward elimination of the stigma attached to the word "diaper". Remember this, even when you say the word "Depends" everyone instantly thinks "diaper", just as Northshore Adam mentioned. In my opinion this slow but sure approach will work better to eventually eliminate the stigma than what I consider to be the somewhat in-your-face approach of just calling it a diaper and letting the chips fall where they may. Please remember, I have absolutely no problem calling a diaper a diaper. but only within what I consider the appropriate context, that being knowing family, medical professionals, and others that are familiar with incontinence products.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next