www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:09 pm 

tallandbald wrote:
NorthShoreAdam wrote:
5bugles wrote:
Seems like you are between the proverbial rock and a hard place. I like the suggestions of "tape on brief/diaper" and "pull-on or pull-up" or something along those lines. For my purposes, I prefer "diaper" to "brief" for a couple reasons: it virtually eliminates confusion and it can help with acceptance (if you need a diaper, there is no sugar coating it by saying "brief"). It seems to me, using euphemisms ("briefs") to lessen the impact of the situation also serves to slow acceptance, which by extension hinders one's ability to get on with their lives. Also, I am probably in the minority here, but I hate the term "pull-up" and would much rather be in a diaper. Weird, I know...

I am, however, keenly aware of the stigma associated with incontinence and the various products associated with it. I watched as my father became something of a recluse the last couple of otherwise "good" years he had because he was too embarrassed to wear protection and often refused to leave the house for fear of having an accident. I'm sure that played a part in my acceptance of my situation and my resolve to put on a diaper and continue with my life.

Just my two cents. Thanks for the opportunity to chime in, and thanks for providing excellent "diapers" with great prices and service!

Yes, I also watched my father struggle with acceptance of incontinence. When it was lighter from prostate issues, he just coped because he would never go to the local store. When he was in hospice for brain cancer, and there was no choice, he couldn't say the word "diaper" and just called them "pads" and shook his head. These moments were very influential in me starting this company, among others. It affects just about every family at one time or another.

Yes, I agree that using euphemisms helps reduce short term anxiety, but can lead to long term depression and does nothing to break the taboo that makes the whole situation much scarier then it needs to be. I can't think of an example where it has helped reduce taboo for health issues. Think "c-a-n-c-e-r" (whisper) in the 60s or HIV/AIDS in the 80s. It takes the average person years to start using "diapers" and that's years of anxiety and restricted living and missed medical appointments that really affects quality of life. Somehow we need to break the taboos that "diapers are for babies only" or "diapers are dirty, etc...". We should be able to move past that and treat people with dignity regardless of their health condition.

Seems to me that calling a diaper a diaper would go a long way by making it so commonly used that it was no longer a secret that adults and teens often need diapers. The more we hear something the more we get used to it, the less taboo it is. There must be other ways we can alleviate the initial fears of diagnosis and acceptance of this condition then by talking around it instead of about it.

I see your point and you're probably right, I know that I have definitely experienced the anxiety and depression that go along with dealing with incontinence, and this continued even after I started using diapers. Perhaps it is time that we rip the bandaid off quickly so to speak, start calling a diaper a diaper. We can be the facilitators of change and really end the stigma once and for all.
Maybe we can best help those that are new to this by showing them that this isn't the end, that you can go on and live a full and active life even while using diapers. I seem to remember some other manufacturers doing "real stories" but those always seem to focus on people that need much lighter protection, and they never seem to address the diaper issue. Maybe by doing something similar would be helpful.
And before I forget, thank you so much Adam for all that you and your company have done.

Yes it's much easier for companies only on the lighter products like pads and pullon underwear like Depend or Always Discreet. They can stay out of the "diaper" debate but they still aren't helping with the "briefs" vs "underwear" confusion.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:21 am 

When I told a close friend about my incontinence her reply was "so you use uh like depends?" I just said yea something like that. That's what most people think of in regards to incontinence products. Now my friend and I just use the word diaper when the subject comes up. With my folks they are my "supplies". People are scared of the word when not referring to babies. I sometimes too have a hard time saying it but honestly I don't talk about it much. Even though my incontinence stems from an accident it's still shameful.

I do think tape on brief/diaper and pull on would be a good transition.
I dunno it's a hard subject but I thank you for taking the time to ask us. No matter what term you decide you'll still have my support.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:40 am 

Previous to my combined prostatectomy/diverticulotomy my urologist indicated that after my surgery I would most certainly be incontinent, and need to wear depends vs pads. He did not use the word diaper. I don't think he is offended by the word, but tries to be as discreet as possible. On the other hand, when I have my check ups, and have to answer a questionnaire prior to my appointment one of the questions is "how many adult diapers or pads do you use daily". The word diapers is used rather than Depends. I'm always honest with my answers, and use the word diaper when asked.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:51 am 

As many may know In my videos I try to help break the stigma and say "Diapers are just underwear" because for those of us that need them they are. However, talking to people over the years they all struggle with and avoid the use of the product and hear the word "Diaper" when they first develop incontinence. As an older child, my parents threatened me by saying they would put me in Diapers if I didn't use the restroom and that gave me great anxiety and forced me to try to hide my issues because I didn't want to have to use "diapers". Only a few years later I gave up and tried diapers at night and I finally got a real night sleep but the stigma was already fast in my consciousness so I continued to hide my issues and use of diapers until much later in life.

When I look at my "YouTube" analytics, "Adult Diaper" the single biggest word used in searches, the word "Diaper" is somewhere in most searches. Incontinence comes at #7 even a misspelled word "Diper" comes at #15. When people start looking for information they use the word Diaper. The word "pullups" comes in at #18 and then "protective underwear" or any underwear-related search is not even in the top #50.

Everyone knows what a Diaper is, so that is what they look for. While nobody WANTS to need them (talking Incontinence here) it doesn't matter what people call them, when we see it we KNOW what it is. The only reason to call it something else is for privacy It is better for a nurse to talk about changing a brief than a diaper because it can keep the use and need slightly more private but the wearer does not get any real relief because they know.

Many people eventually get over the word Diaper but there will always be some stigma around it. It does not matter where you come from or what you call it "all-in ones", "Slip", "Pañales" whatever you call it, it will have the stigma attached because the real issue is the loss of control and dignity we feel when this happens to us.

My recommendations based on my life as well as Youtube and social media experience.

Don't be afraid to use the word Diaper because search engines and people will be looking for that but keep in mind the stigma that follows that word and limit its use.

For pull-ups, because it is trademarked that makes it rough because that is exactly what people search for and will always look for that, but really the only other options are "Protective or absorbent Underwear" or some form of underwear.

For the longest time, the safe word for the traditional tab/tape style diaper is "brief" so it seems that "tape-style brief" makes the best sense.

the industry DOES NEED to come together and lock into common terms I say,

Adult Diaper = Tape Style Brief
Pull-up = Protective Underwear

curious to know what others think.

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:00 pm 

I agree a diaper by any name is still the same, and using other terms only reenforces the idea that there is something wrong with somebody who has to wear diapers.
However, this is a hard hurdle for newly incontinent to overcome. It is also nicer when talking to somebody not to mention his problem straight to his face.
When I started wearing diapers they used to sell the old prefolded version, which were frequently call, "diaper style". This might be a good compromise.
Even people trained not to use the word 'diaper' will frequently say something like, "it is like a diaper, but that is the last thing it is"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:00 pm 

Vandel Fisher wrote:
I agree a diaper by any name is still the same, and using other terms only reenforces the idea that there is something wrong with somebody who has to wear diapers.
However, this is a hard hurdle for newly incontinent to overcome. It is also nicer when talking to somebody not to mention his problem straight to his face.
When I started wearing diapers they used to sell the old prefolded version, which were frequently call, "diaper style". This might be a good compromise.
Even people trained not to use the word 'diaper' will frequently say something like, "it is like a diaper, but that is the last thing it is"

I agree with you but there is a disconnect because the healthcare community thinks it is disrespectful to ever you the word diaper in any context at any time...Here are just samples of some of the hate mail I get if they see the word diaper on our site at all...even if we don't use it on any packaging yet: (These mostly come from nurses or former nurses,. especially from those that work with nursing home patients):

"The term diaper is indeed degrading."

"I think we need to stop calling them and labeling the packages diapers and utilize the term adult briefs"

"for sure would u stop with the d word!"

"They are briefs not diapers... "

"I meant no disrespect. However, as soon as I see the word "diapers" used when speaking about adult incontinence I immediately cringe. This term can be so degrading to our seniors. It was a bit shocking to see it used in a marketing post."

"That term makes me cringe as well but I notice many families and residents still use the term diapers."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:35 pm 

I find it interesting that a number of us here (including me) use the word "Depends" as a generic term for any type of protective underwear. And while I feel this is completely appropriate for general casual conversation with others not familiar with incontinence products it is certainly not descriptive enough when dealing specifically with these products. I realize this does nothing to dispel the stigma associated with the word diapers but I feel it is at least a realistic approach. Note though that I have absolutely no problem using the terms Diapers or Pull-ups with those with a need-to-know though.
All that said I guess I would agree with a few of the others to use the terms Pull-up Briefs and Tape-up Briefs as reasonable compromise for use in advertising and packaging.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:54 pm 

Padded53 wrote:
I find it interesting that a number of us here (including me) use the word "Depends" as a generic term for any type of protective underwear. And while I feel this is completely appropriate for general casual conversation with others not familiar with incontinence products it is certainly not descriptive enough when dealing specifically with these products. I realize this does nothing to dispel the stigma associated with the word diapers but I feel it is at least a realistic approach. Note though that I have absolutely no problem using the terms Diapers or Pull-ups with those with a need-to-know though.
All that said I guess I would agree with a few of the others to use the terms Pull-up Briefs and Tape-up Briefs as reasonable compromise for use in advertising and packaging.

If you're in the checkout line at the grocery store with a bag of Depend Underwear or Depend Briefs...does that really put you at ease that your incontinence will remain private? I don't think so as everyone knows Depend is adult diapers. I'm hearing a little of both sides as to whether or not having Briefs or Underwear on the bags themselves is actually helpful to people's own ego and pride. if it helps people not be as timid at starting to use them or feel as "old" when using them, then I'm all for keeping "Briefs" and "Underwear" on the package instead of "Diapers" and "Pullups".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:57 am 

Personally, I'm just fine with 'diaper' or 'adult diaper'. It says what it is. I don't think that a whole lot of people that buy your products would split too many hairs about it. I find 'brief' or 'protective undergarment' a bit patronizing actually if not overly clinical. Using something like 'Disposable Brief-Style Protective Undergarment' sounds like something that NASA would use. Why say all that when just 'diaper' would suffice?

"Pull-On" is a good descriptor for the pullup style diaper. People know what they're buying and it doesn't seem to be confused with anything else.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:20 am 

NorthShoreAdam wrote:
If you're in the checkout line at the grocery store with a bag of Depend Underwear or Depend Briefs...does that really put you at ease that your incontinence will remain private? I don't think so as everyone knows Depend is adult diapers. I'm hearing a little of both sides as to whether or not having Briefs or Underwear on the bags themselves is actually helpful to people's own ego and pride. if it helps people not be as timid at starting to use them or feel as "old" when using them, then I'm all for keeping "Briefs" and "Underwear" on the package instead of "Diapers" and "Pullups".

Adam: Your statement really brings up a very interesting psychological point. When someone puts a bag of Depends up on the checkout counter pretty much everybody that sees them will instantly think "Diapers!", but out loud (and on TV) everyone will say Depends/briefs/underwear. Why, I think it's that deeply ingrained stigma in virtually everyones mind about the word Diaper. It's funny that what people think, and what they will actually say, can be two different things. That's why even though everyone knows what they are it's more politically correct, and less of an impact to the purchaser's ego, to print on the package something like pull-up or tape-up brief rather than that "awful" word. Hey, marking the packages and writing the advertisements this way might eliminate all of that hate mail you get too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next