www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Angel Fluff Diapers
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:27 pm 
Admin

Pardon the post in the general forum but I wanted the most traffic. Since having my thyroid removed, I’ve been having issues with my metabolism. My doc is trying to regulate my thyroid hormones with meds. Anyway, I have gained some weight (about 15lbs that I can’t lose). I have pretty much outgrown medium diapers. I have a 42 inch waist. I’m at the max waist size for many medium disposable diapers (large sizes are way too big). I’ve tried many. I’m currently wearing Abena but they’re about too small. I know confidry are cut a little larger but I had issues with the fit and they leaked in my bed at night. I am a veteran and get my diapers from the VA. Due to the fit issues with disposables, I’m turning to cloth diapers. I have worn them before and like many here, have found them more comfortable. I also like how I can customize the fit and absorbency...plus reduce my household trash. I spoke to the VA today about trying some heavy weight prefolds with the Velcro from Angel Fluff Diaper Company (AFDC). Anyone have experience with these? I talked to the owner at AFDC today as well who gave me some pointers. (Schoppy, I have read that you do business through the VA with this company). AFDC said they do business with about a dozen VA pharmacies. My pharmacy said it was no problem and agreed to make the purchase. I’m getting one prefold and 2 of the ice blue vinyl pants. One of each in a L & XL. I am sampling the diapers and pants. If they work out, the VA will buy more. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Angel Fluff Diapers
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:29 am 

Hi Don,

Just happened to drop in and see you post and felt I could help. I use AFDC just about exclusively. I have found they they provide the widest selection of cloth diapers between sizes and weight (thickness). I have a 44-46 inch waist and use the size 9 they have. For day use I use M9 and night H9 but to be honest I have been using the same (M9) both day and night and very pleased with them. I might have a leak, maybe once every two or three months. I also use the velcro ones and been very happy with those.
I have tried the ice blue pants and to be honest, those are kind of thick and not very comfortable. I was getting my plastic pants through adultclothdiaper.com and getting the blue ones because they were the softest and lasted a while but a few years ago I got turned on to Kins. A much better plastic pant by far. Main difference is the elastic. The elastic on the AFDC and ACD are a rough and corse elastic, much like that you would find stitched in clothes. Kins is a lycra/spandex and is much softer and comfortable against the skin. Well worth the out of pocket expense.

Two tips for you, first go to ebay or to a craft store and buy a roll of the loop part of hook and loop ie:velcro. Attach a strip to the diaper to cover up the hook part of the velcro on the diaper be for you wash. What you will find is when you wash and especially dry, the velcro will get all stuck together and wind up in a ball and wadded up. A good bit will still be very wet because it can't dry. Second, read up on washing cloth diapers. There is an art to it. It's easy to do but you will need to be VERY particular on how you wash. Not good enough and you will get a build up of ammonia in the diapers even after washing. Too much soap and you get a skunk type smell when wet.
By all means, feel free to PM me and I'll do what I can to fill in what blanks I can. Oh and another tip, if you have not looked at the cloth diaper section of the diaper primer here, do it. It laid the foundation for me with my cloth use. Good luck. I'm sure you will be more then happy with this change. I have just about gone to cloth for my daily use. Only time I don't is if I might have to change while out because changing a cloth diaper away from home is just about impossible for me.

Good luck and again, message me if you have more questions.

Rope

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:16 am 

An additional disadvantage of Velcro-type cloth diaper closures is that they cannot be adjusted, whereas diaper pins can be applied, removed, and changed as needed for a secure fit. This becomes important when you vary the number of layers to manage different circumstances, e. g., a long night's sleep vs. an active day during which you anticipate ready access to changing facilities. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:27 pm 
Admin

I went back and re-read the primer. It was helpful. Rope, regarding the angel fluff diapers: I chose the heavy weight pre-folds. How bulky are they? Are they able to be worn in the daytime under loose clothing? I spoke with AFDC. They told me they are bulky and easily spotted. Do you have any experience with these?