www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:50 am 

Last week I had a continence nurse came out to advice me to try Molicare mobile super XL or Abena pull ups XL but also advised me to try a booster added for a better fit.

When I mentioned companies sent out samples of Tabbed briefs she told me not to use them as they would not stay a snugg fit??

At this stage wouldn't it be more comfortable and cheaper for the government for tabbed briefs?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:36 am 

????????????????
In my experience the exact OPPOSITE is true. Briefs aka diapers give a snug fit whereas pull ups do not. I wore pullups MANY years ago and found them to be not effective. They were too loose at the waist, showed over the top of my pants MUCH more that diapers did (go figure), and the crotch was way too narrow to contain effectively. Not to mention the padding coverage on pullups is a joke compared to what you get with tabbed briefs. I would not wear pull ups unless that was the only thing to wear (in the case of my diaper leaking on me at the doctor's office, it was. when I had it on i felt less vulnerable but not a whole lot. I wanted to get the appointment done an out of there). Yeah lemme say something about that real quick. This was a walk in clinic separate from the hospital. This really kind gal who checked me in went out of her way to find me some protection. She checked the clinic and they had none. I guess they don't get incontinent patients often or they just don't keep them around? I find that hard to believe. In my opinion ALL doctor's offices and ESPECIALLY urologist's offices should keep them on hand just in case. She even walked over to the ER to get me something. Neither of us knew whetehr it would be tabbed or pullup. Turns out it was pullup.. I was disappointed but not suprised. It seems thats the trend these days. I didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, so I graciously said thank you and put it on, figuring this was probably the best that they could do. Thankfully the appointment didn't last much longer beyond that.

But getting back to the OP's point. NO NO NO pullups do NOT provide the snugger fit. They ALWAYS have the narrower crotch, which is next to useless for us males, because due to our anatomy, the exit point shifts, and sometimes the narrow crotch means were are pointed where there is no coverage at all and we wind up with a big mess. Its happened to me before. Pullups are maginally useful for light to moderate incontinence. But if your incontinence is either frequent or heavy ( I fall into the latter category; I can have niagra falls) then you NEED tabbed style protection, end of story. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:21 am 

My bladder is so unpredictable even the nurse thinks neurogenic bladder.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:44 pm 

in that case tabbed briefs ARE THE WAY TO GO. PERIOD

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:20 pm 

Honestly, after many many years of use, only a tabbed style brief can achieve a good custom fit to prevent leakage A good fit the single best way to avoid leaks! I am not saying pull-ups do not work for many people, but they all tend to have the same issues, a loose fit and sagging when saturated. It may take time to figure how best to apply a tabbed-style brief for your body type but once you get accustomed they almost always allow a much better fit. You may need to find the right size for your body sometimes you may need to go up or even down a size to get the proper fit and sometime you may need to find another brand as each brand may fit differently.

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:29 pm 

I agree with the responses here regarding tabbed diapers giving a better/tighter fit versus pull-ups with only one possible exception. That being tabbed diapers with a cloth like cover which will generally stretch quite a bit and give a loose fit. Of course these can usually be tightened up due to having the velcro type tapes. I suspect the Continence Nurse isn't incontinent and probably has never actually used the various products she is recommending. It's not really her fault but it would be great if it was a part of their training.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:54 pm 

Absolutely use only tabbed briefs. If a few tapes do slip or pop off that is easily fixed with a 3" strip of duct tape. Tabbed briefs allow that custom personal fit that pullups cannot match. Pullups cannot provide the same absorbency and protection.

--John