www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How Do You Hide it?!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:24 am 

icgirl wrote:
Thank you guys. I ordered the DynaDry Supreme pads from NorthShore today. I've been wearing them this weekend (I have free samples) and they are wonderful. I feel totally protected for my needs and I was able to wear tight jeans over them without anyone knowing I was wearing maximum protection - not even my discerning hubby! They are also so very comfortable and the material is soft. You're right that when you feel fully protected, it gives you confidence. Just urinating in public is going to take a bit of getting used to but like you said, I have to just stay calm and carry on like everything is normal. People are so wrapped up in their own lives they most likely won't be able to notice.

Thank you for sharing! everyone with incontinence will go through this so sharing your story is one more step to helping others that will go through it after you! Knowing others have gone through it and have found options and can thrive means that you can too!

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:30 pm 

@icgirl: I'm glad that you found a solution that works for you!! 8) 8)

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:27 pm 

:) I'm so happy I found the Dyna Dry Supreme Pads. They are so discreet; I've worn them with several outfits this week including thin dresses and they are not obvious at all. They also don't rustle when you walk because of their cloth-like material. I hope North Shore keeps making these!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:34 pm 

icgirl wrote:
Thank you all for the feedback. I have to seriously consider switching to DynaDry Supreme pads if this happens again. I just don't know how to hide it on my face and conduct myself like everything is normal while urinating. It's so awkward! :oops: I guess it'll take time to get used to it.

Looks like you're on the right track with your improved protection. Great to hear! Like others have said, being confident in your protection helps get past the "awkwardness." It sure beats noticing your friend's gaze move down your leg as your khakis develop a growing wet spot!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:24 pm 

Icgirl,

A simple suggestion for us all (guy talking here) is, if possible, manage your (prior) hydration to reduce leakage during those times when you know you will be away from home or a safe place. BUT, do not compromise getting your fluid intake over any 24 hour period. The difference in leakage when dehydrated and fully hydrated is more than one may think. With timely restroom stops and managed hydration, one's stress level can be reduced. Of course, wearing the appropriate equipment just helps make the day. Best wishes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:29 am 

Your post is much appreciated Fynlee. It has me rethinking the 10 ounce smoothies I've been trying to down for lunch every day. Maybe I should cut it down to 5 ounces instead. It is a fine balance between staying hydrated and drinking too much fluids. But I'm learning.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:20 am 

Hi

Reducing fluids is never a good idea in fact the more concentrated urine is the more it tends to smell and others will notice. I always ensure that my diaper is as clear as possible as a minimum I ensure that I take on 2 liters a day (more if the weather is hot or I have been exercising). This will help to avoid dehydration which can lead to concentrated urine, which is a good environment for infection. To be honest I wear the protection that fits my bladder my go to diaper at the moment is Betterdry as being a man has more protection up front combined with compression briefs, a cover and onesie. I supplement the Betterdry for a breathable Molicare with booster when I exercise. I also dress appropriately for example skorts are great for exercise. Loose Jeans trousers/pants are great too helps reduce back pain also.

Hope this is useful

Greenbank

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:13 am 

Agree with Greenbank on this. I mention this to my urologist last year and she flat out said don't do that as it could led to bigger problems. We didn't go into details, but I have been dehydrated before which led to the ER. Granted it was due to sickness, but it wipes you out. I took two IV bags in what seem less than 30 minutes.
In the military we always stressed to look at the color along with the smell of your urine to see if you needed to drink more water. I found this website that may help judge on where you are at for hydration.

https://dripdrop.com/blogs/news/chart-dehydrated

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:34 pm 

batman381327 wrote:
Agree with Greenbank on this. I mention this to my urologist last year and she flat out said don't do that as it could led to bigger problems. We didn't go into details, but I have been dehydrated before which led to the ER. Granted it was due to sickness, but it wipes you out. I took two IV bags in what seem less than 30 minutes.
In the military we always stressed to look at the color along with the smell of your urine to see if you needed to drink more water. I found this website that may help judge on where you are at for hydration.

https://dripdrop.com/blogs/news/chart-dehydrated

Yeah, I'm struggling with that balance of my bladders needs versus the appropriate amount of water.

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:07 pm 

icgirl wrote:
So I was out doing errands and should've known I'd have a problem b/c I had a huge strawberry smoothie beforehand. So anyway the urge to go comes and I'm in the middle of a store. I went while pretending I was looking closely at some clothes on a rack. But how do you hide it if you're in front of other people? When I have to go, my eyes water so much I think it's obvious. My pad held up luckily so there were no leaks but I think if someone saw me they could tell from my face what was happening with my eyes tearing up.

Nobody except maybe someone who is also incontinent or who knows or cares for someone who is will know that you were urinating unless there's a big leak. Someone's eyes watering isn't generally associated with peeing and all your behaviour will be interpreted any other way because most people would not even think of it. Don't worry about it.