www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:57 am 

hello all i have not been on here for endless years mainly due to family losses both parents gone, very tough time for me.

any way i used to wear pads which were supplied then came out of them using a spc catheter which i still have to this day.

over the period of using catheters i was getting symptoms of what seemed like uti but each test came back neg.

during these weird infections i would all ways get bad urinary bypassing and lower tummy pain very painful, it then came to a point last year where it was found that these were not uti as thought by my doctors but was found to be disease of the sigmoid colon including bowel disease around the appendix area. (ct scan confirmed)

the downside to this is that i was getting bowel fluid leakage along with some urinary loss.

my days were and this may sound awful stuck in the bathroom wiping and washing down, it then got to the point where i informed my nurses here in the UK of the situation and after assessment was issued with flex pads which are dreadful to say the least.

i have since gone through another assessment which was more thorough and it was decided the best solution was to go back to wearing diapers or nappies as we call them over here.

my problem is the dread and thought of wearing something designed for babies and young children but at the same time if i don't i will be trapped in the bathroom for an eternity it seems like a grim situation.

the solution is to bypass the bowel which is something i don't want to even think about also it is high risk with me suffering infections.

how do i get over the prospect of wearing diapers / nappies i know many on here must of gone through the initial stages of wearing such garments. the pads i used and using at the moment aren't the same as the taped nappy diaper system so moving up to the taped system fills me with dread.

mike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:17 pm 

based on my experience, having lived wearing diapers 24/7 a large majority of my adult life and wearing them every night since I was twelve the best thing to do is to realize that diapers, nappies, slip, panĂ¡l however you want to call them are nothing more than underwear! This underwear allows you if you let them get back into functional society, free from the need to be on or near the toilet every minute. The thing is allowing your mind to accept this is one of the hardest things to do! BUT you can! the second biggest part is finding a product that YOU trust will work and keep you "dry/clean" for a set amount of time. once you can learn to accept the new form of underwear AND find a product that will work for you (and you know its limits) then you will see that life becomes "normal" again. you can Live an active happy life with incontinence and wearing nappies if you need. it takes time but VERY doable!

Good Luck!

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:53 pm 

First, I'm sorry you are dealing with this - it is not easy to make that transition to 24/7 or to come to grips with the fact your body is "betraying" you. In my case, having good support from family made the transition easier. Plus, as time went on, I realized that wearing diapers/nappies allowed me to live my life actively and without being a slave to the porcelain throne. Coming to that realization and also seeing that NO ONE seemed to notice, made it much easier. I finally got to the point where I just decided I can't spend time and energy worrying about what people would think, and that took a huge weight off my shoulders.

Good luck with your issues. Hang in there!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:23 pm 

Mike,
This message is similar to what I have posted before, but if you haven't considered it, there are external devices on the market that may work for you to control the leakage. Personally, I wasn't thrilled with any of them for mainly comfort and convenience reasons. Forgive me on this, but I then started on a path to develop a better product that is comfortable and convenient. I'll only say at this point that it is made of soft silicone and can be worn all day long. (I wear mine 14 hours every day and sometimes at night, depending on my hydration.) I'll be happy to provide more info, if you are interested. Regardless, try to reduce the leakage rather than deal with the leakage is something I suggest you should look into. Best wishes to you. Duane dglisan@comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:39 pm 

Duane if you are representative of some company you really need to stop pushing your product on people of this forum. You randomly private messaged me trying to get me to use your product. The subject line was the same as a post I made and I wasnt even asking for recommendations.

Buzz off

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:13 am 

i am all ready using a device called a spc catheter and trust me that is enough devices for me and it does it job, downside is that people with catheters can get bladder spasms which results in urinary loss esp if they are bad also with spc urine and other material can escape from the spc site.

also if you get infections that also can result in bladder loss till the infection subsides.

as for the bowel problem i have all ready been down the route to discuss options and it is not in best interests to have the bowel bypassed and as the bowel disease results in infectious material been passed it would become very risky to even try to plug it.

i have had a thorough assessment for incontinence and the best solution has been found it is just a case of finding the right products, the product i was issued with clearly isn't of much use as the pads won't keep their form and also drop when walking around esp outside.

from Monday next i will be trying the diaper style not sure yet if the absorbency will be correct until bypassing occurs but it should take care of any bowel fluid and allow me freedom to get on with life instead of been stuck in the bathroom all day which is what my life has been like since last year for what it was worth i may as well stuck a t.v and radio in there then i would of been home from home. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:04 am 

Mikey:
I too was hesitant to start wearing tape style diapers but once I realized just how well they work and how much they reduced my anxiety/stress level it became a no brainer. Of course in the beginning I too was worried about others knowing I was wearing diapers but after a short while I realized nobody could tell and that worry went away too. Now that I've found just the right products to wear I hardly ever even think about my diapers other than the routine changes (2 or 3 a day depending) which are really no big deal once you get a routine down pat. As others have said, hang in there it will get much better.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:30 am 

Mikey - apologizes for my post. This person has been making the rounds of ic forums posting the same thing.

Anyway. The transition is always hard. I kinda skipped the transition because my incontinence is a result of an accident. I still didnt tell anyone that I was having bladder problems and was using poor quality diapers to cope. It wasnt until I discovered this forum that I learned how to navigate the journey that is incontinence and now just deal with it like it's any other medical problem I have. I do understand the shame you feel. But it gets easier over time and we are here to support you throughout that process.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:27 am 

will be getting the changeover sometime Monday so will be back to let people know how i get on with the diaper nappy style.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:53 am 

well back again after been changed from tena flex to the tena slips and very frustrating to say that these are just as bad as the tena flex.

i am able to identify the issue, the woven material tena is using to make these products yet they might be good for the skin but boy oh boy the material is just too stretchy to be of any use.

like the flex the slips will not stay put and having no landing strip means when you sit down the tapes just start slipping.

it is common sense that trying to get sticky tapes to stick to some woven material just doesn't work and the obvious happens the tabs start slipping.

tena need to go back to the drawing board with these kind of products.

in between i purchased some tena slip active diapers and you can see the quality is there, yes i get the slips issued for free but this does not give any company the rights to take advantage of a contract and issue pure rubbish.

that is my say on tena not sure how it goes for other companies using this new woven material so any input would be good to hear.

in the mean time i am having to defeat the object and use plastic pants so the nappy will stay put. :(