www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:50 pm 

Wow, glad to see that I'm not alone!!! Those were my triggers too, like some well conditioned doggie!

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:58 am 

I allready wrote in an other thread about this, but while reading this threat I think I can also share some more of my experiances here.

First of all: There're good news because as long as you can identify triggers, you have good chances to cope with them. The reason for this is simple: Triggers are a mixture from psychological and physiological factors. You can’t trick the physical ones but you can trick the psychological ones. More over the triggers show you that you have some kind of bladder controll - what is good - because if there would be no triggers you would start voiding somewhen out of the nowhere or maybe even not mention it. This would be much more difficult to cure - maybe never.

So it might be a first idea to see triggers as your friends because say can help you to gain more control over your bladder if you learn to read them and make use of them.

As some one allready mentioned above the first step will be to identify them. There are classics like the front door but also others that maybe not that easy to identify. How ever knowing them is the first step to make use of them.

It might be a really good idea to look for professional help doing this because it's much easier to go this way with a therapist as to try it on your own. Specialiced PT's but also specialized behavioral therapist can help her. Keep also in mind that there're a couple of factors that should be checked with your doctor beforehand just to make sure things are going in the right direction.

How ever here are some "rules of thumb":

- Working with the urges is mostly better then a simple timed voiding as long as the bladder volume is low and the urge sets in before the bladder reached it's capacity. It's contraindicated with high bladder volumes.
    Reason for this: To get better controll of your bladder it's important to make use of the complete capacity of your bladder and try to extend the capacity if this is possible and medically indicated. If you try to handle the urge with timed voiding and your bladder had not reached it's capacity it will never "learn" to reach it and it will even shrink and make more trouble in the worse case.

- Work with the physics if it's not possible to trick the psychologie. This was is allready mentioned her but I have also a nice example for that from myself. One of my own triggers are temperature changes. If I walk in the summer into a super market and go to the chilled section I know that I mostly likely get in trouble. So knowing that - it's not a good idea for me doing this with a full bladder. In every case two components are involved - the bladder itself and the psychology that is partly responsable for the trigger. So knowing this, I look for a toilet beforehand if I'm all-ready on the way for some hours. Reason: Doing this will give me a positive feedback that I'm able to handle such situations and improve your confidence. More over I don't need a change later ;-)... How ever - keep the first point also in mind - do it conscious and don't let it become a general habit.

- Tricking the psychology behind urge. The reason for the triggers are pretty individual and there is no "cookbook" to deal with all off them - how ever there are some aproaches that may help:

Working with positiv recollections.
      Just take the classic with the front door. What happens there? You feel somewhen a small urge if you arrive at home - nothing that you can't handle and you know you're just minutes away from your toilet. How ever there is a barrier inbetween - the door and a view meters to go. Now - for some unknown reasons something inside of you start screeming hurry up you can't hold it anymore. So assuming you didn't try to hold it for the last 30 or 40 minutes and the urge just now occours - try to remeber what happens in the last ten minutes. Did you mange it to hold it in? Probably yes. Try to remeber when you visit the last time the toilet - not that long ago? perfect no reason to worry... Try to think about the dinner that you may have in a couple of minutes. If you need somthing stronger think about somthing that makes you really angry.

Working with physical defocussing
      Meanwhile you probably reached the door - the next hurdle - if you did't make it to focus your mind to something different and the urge still exists. This hurdle is propably the most critical ones because you have to stopp and find the key in hurry and then things often went seriously wrong. So we need somting stronger here then just "thinking" A simple trick may help. It's hard for the body to focus on two physical sensations. Thats the reason way it possible for a thief to steel your pocket while bumping into you or why a child stop feeling the pain when you blow over the pain-full wound. You can use this effect also to stopp the urge. The good news is, that a urge attack does'n went very long - so it's easy to trick your body.
      So if the urge is still there stopp searching the key. You have to do somthing that drives the sensation away from your bladder. This can be anything you like. The essential is that it have to be physically trigger that trigger different nerves that have no connection to that ones of your bladder. One of the funny examples that I'd learned and that worked for me was the trick standing on one feed while rubbing the hamstring.

So if you make it to send the sensing focus of your body away from your bladder, you can now search for the key and open the door, because the urge is gone for a while. You probably even have enough time to take of your jacked and walk relaxed to the toilet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:35 am 

About half way down the 4th paragraph...

://www.obgyn.net/hysterectomy/urinary-incontinence-closet-condition

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:46 pm 

ozziebee wrote:
Wow, crazy! So I'm not the only one suffering with the "front key in the door" syndrome? Wow.

I too have many of these triggers. I tend to think of a lot of these episodes as "gravity wees", because I'm standing up when they happen. If I'm moving around, and I get an urge hit, as soon as I stop, the floodgates open.

Sounds familiar. I sometimes stand curled over at my front door trying to hold it in. I usually have a rahter full bladder when I get home and climbing 9 flights of stairs does not help that. It is painful. I beleive it is a mixture of my urgency/overactivity issues and conditioning to visit the toilet as soon as I get home.

I also quite often experience the movement-pause-incidents. If I keep walking with a bladder that is signalling and gives those painful jabs, I probably will be able to make it into a public toilet (if one is close by). If I stop (and sometimes the pain is so uncomfortable that I must stop), I end up wetting my diaper -which is of course a bit icky but eases the pain. I am lucky to have a funtional spinchter, though, so I am usually able to somewhat control the flow or stop it at least for a while, so I don't get absolutely flooded.

Does anyone else experience the post-voiding wetting. I mean, emptying your bladder in a toilet, padding back up and feeling the urge to urinate upon leaving the toilet -often ending up with a desilitre or two to rush out. I apparently have some problems emptying my bladder completely.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:17 am 

Hi Überaktive

Post voids are one of the frustrating parts of dealing with incontinence even after 4 years of dealing with incontinence issues and being diapered 24/7 it still bugs me when I am in a wet diaper shortly after using the bathroom and putting on a fresh diaper.

as for your pain when you hold your pee when you are trying to make it to the bathroom have you talked to your urologist about it you may be doing more harm then good it trying to avoid using your diaper. None us like being forced to wear and have to use diapers as an adult but some times its the best option when dealing with a bladder issue.

Having to pee in a diaper is an iky feeling but it is something that you will get use to over time once you find a diaper you can trust to do its job and have accepted your need for diaper, I wear Betterdry diapers to manage my bladder issues.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:18 pm 

Überaktive wrote:
Does anyone else experience the post-voiding wetting. I mean, emptying your bladder in a toilet, padding back up and feeling the urge to urinate upon leaving the toilet -often ending up with a desilitre or two to rush out. I apparently have some problems emptying my bladder completely.

Hi Überaktive,

I also know this problem. For me it happens mostly if I had tried to hold it for to long. If I really make it to the toilet in this case it can happen that it's hard to pee and every-think just cramps and hurts. For me it helps if I stay a bit longer because after a couple of minutes and relaxation I can mostly get out the rest.

You may check also this link: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/316706.php

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:17 pm 

I too have experienced "key in lock" syndrome for decades! For me though, it's often when I stand up after being seated or laying down for a long time, as well as at the bathroom door. I remember that as a child, even when I made it to a bathroom, I would almost always be wetting my pants when I got there. Even now there are times when I make it to the bathroom, only to have to sit down on the toilet to finish wetting my pants there in order to avoid a puddle on the floor. I almost always wet my diapers while sleeping, so it is uncommon for me to feel the need to empty my bladder when I awaken each morning. However, within seconds of standing up after I get up, I wet my diaper. It seems unusual to me and I can't explain it, but it's also pretty common.