www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Devastated!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:15 am 

I developed my IC in my late 30s and at first it was devastating. I get it- all of a sudden you can't trust your body. In my case, I truly LOVE coffee and giving of the "Sacrament of the Bean" would be a real problem. My wife stayed with me (almost 40 years now) and we worked through the management issues associated with diapers, running for the loo, and various travel practices. Occasionally I still get surprised by something new, but I just make adjustments and move along.
I find myself in airports almost every week for work, and travel can be very manageable. We raised two kids through this and that has been an easy experience as well (at least as far as my IC goes). I have an office in our home and I learned that my office chair needed to be an open mesh design. It's these little things that you will work out together and move forward. Talk together and be open- explain your feelings and listen to his.
BTW, if you really like bourbon, you should try "Angel's Envy"- it is very smoooth.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:24 pm 

icgirl wrote:
Sociologygeek, have you tried Suntory whisky? It's so good you can drink it straight. Check it out next time you're at the liquor store (it's Japanese)! Alcohol is a bladder irritant but we have to have fun in moderation. It is so encouraging to hear your positive story! I bet you're going to be successful with controlling this condition as you have been in the past. I was not sure pelvic floor exercises were effective but now you have me interested.

I don't dehydrate myself. I just don't believe we really need 8 8-ounce glasses of water a day. I think it depends on the weather and the level of activity you participate in. On hot, humid days when I'm traveling I drink tons of fluids b/c I can tell my body needs it and I feel thirsty. I just sweat it out and have low urine output luckily on those days.

I'm now exploring the use of topical estrogen. Hormones have to play a role in all of this. As we age, our hormones decrease and people have all sorts of problems including incontinence, UTIs, and kidney stones. I know I'm a chronic UTI sufferer and it is linked with low estrogen. Low estrogen also causes urogenital atrophy in women. Any women want to chime in? I've been doing a lot of research and I have high hopes that estrogen will control the problem at least. I've ordered a bottle of estrogen cream and can't wait for the shipment.

Thanks for the suggestion, but given my past habits I'm much better off not drinking liquor at home alone unless its in very small quantities for medicinal reasons like a cough. That being said, ill keep an eye out at my liquor store for next time theres a party at the K of C hall.
I thank you for your words of encouragement. I'm somewhat discouaged b ecause here it is coming up on week 9 of 12 and no improvement. The nurse i spoke to said in their office they have had a very small number of patients who had no benefit at all. That's good to know. My bladder is still acting like a one year old.. i think i maybe made it to the toilet once or twice today. Yesterday i was airing out and when i do im usually dry.. so imagine my suprise when i felt an urge and next i know theres a puddle on my floor. Don't worry, I was standing on my vinyl floor not the carpet.. when i do air out on the carpet i make sure blue pads are handy. Maybe I should get some reusable pads for airing out.. i did have some but i used one without washing it and it got really rancid smelling.. and then the other one i bought got feces on it. But on the other hand.. teh disposable ones are free.. courtesy of Medicaid.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:01 pm 

That is very good to hear! Diet certainly affects our system, For me, I had to cut diet soda and any nuts (for other reasons) both caused me great distress cutting them out of my life has made a huge impact! each of may develop issues over time with certain foods and beverages that may have to be eliminated. and while they may not completely eliminate the entirety of the issues they may reduce them to more manageable symptoms. anyone that may be having issues both with bladder or bowel should try a process of elimination of foods and beverages to try to figure out possible irritants.

Good luck!

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:03 pm 

icgirl wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm only 38 and just became incontinent within this month and it is devastating! I have urge incontinence and leak when I run to the bathroom. Right now I'm wearing Always Discreet moderate pads as the liners were not enough to hold the liquid. I'm so scared this is going to progress and I'll have to wear Always Discreet Boutique underwear one day!

I have had a history of UTIs and I had a kidney stone last year. Could this all be related? I read on this forum that the sphincter can loosen with passage of a kidney stone.

This is beyond depressing...I was fairly active before this all started. How can I go to the beach now? To the gym swimming? To a hot tub? Do I have to give up on the activities I love? I hope I don't have Parkinsons or some neurological disorder. I'm so young to develop this!

Hi

I felt like this at the start just to give you reassurance life will be better and indeed you will still be able to do all the activities you love.

As far as swimming/beach is concerned you can purchase great swimwear designed with the incontinent person in mind.

As far as the running/cycling/gym is concerned I wear a skort does not matter what gender one is this is super item of clothing keeps diaper securely in place and protects me from others seeing what I am wearing.

The biggest advice I would give you is to establish a routine don’t be afraid of diapers my best friend actually as allows one to carry on as normal. Look after your personal hygiene especially after exercise.

If you are worried about changing purchase two large bath towels stitch them together with a hole in the top for you head stitch in an elastic neck and you have your own portable changing room. Use this on the beach or in changing rooms ideal.

I tend to go for Molicare diapers when exercising as they are breathable and can be fitted ready to go for an efficient change with a few tweaks.

Don’t forget once you have been officially labelled as incontinent let your water company know so they can add you to their list of special customers!

Take care

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:59 am 

It is devastating at first. Been there, done that. (No t-shirt) And you life will go on. But with a sudden onset like you were talking about, you really should see a doctor. Yes, there will be tests. Yes, you will be annoyed. But remember, the tests can rule out medical conditions that are much worse than a little leakage.

ScottK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:29 am 

ScottK wrote:
It is devastating at first. Been there, done that. (No t-shirt) And you life will go on. But with a sudden onset like you were talking about, you really should see a doctor. Yes, there will be tests. Yes, you will be annoyed. But remember, the tests can rule out medical conditions that are much worse than a little leakage.

ScottK

great point Scott, Incontinence is a symptom, not the disease/ injury. For some people, the cause may not be known (idiopathic) but that just means the cause of the symptom is unclear at the moment, seeking a doctors care can at least rule out diseases and injuries to help find the actual real cause.

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:19 pm 

Realworldic, I will give it some serious thought. I truly appreciate your concern and I understand where you're coming from. I just don't have much faith in doctors from my previous experience with them. I had chronic recurring UTIs for years that they prescribed antibiotics for and subsequently cleared up. But no one questioned what the underlying cause of all these UTIs was. Eventually I took matters into my own hands and found a natural way to prevent UTIs successfully for years (D-Mannose supplement). One heaping spoonful of naturally sweet D-Mannose in a cup of water for prevention. No more sickening courses of antibiotics! So I'm a believer in natural supplements. Just check out the reviews of D-Mannose on Amazon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:44 am 

So I've made an appointment with my primary care physician to discuss this problem! Thank you for those who encouraged me. I'm hoping to try biofeedback in the coming months as sociogeek had so much success with it for 4 years. Anyone else try it? I want to explore my treatment options and not take this lying down. From the posts it seems like the condition only deteriorates with time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:32 am 

icgirl wrote:
So I've made an appointment with my primary care physician to discuss this problem! Thank you for those who encouraged me. I'm hoping to try biofeedback in the coming months as sociogeek had so much success with it for 4 years. Anyone else try it? I want to explore my treatment options and not take this lying down. From the posts it seems like the condition only deteriorates with time.

Whether it deteriorates with time depends on the individual, type of incontiennce and the cause. My incontience has not deteriorated. I still have some control most days.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:43 am 

Welcome to the forum. This forum is a great resource.

My incontinence started the same way. I had 5 bouts with kidney stones over a few years. After the last one, my sphincter was damaged. I had leakage and I can’t hold urges anymore. My bladder capacity has been effectively reduced. I wear cloth pocket diapers at home and on short outings. For longer outings and tris I use disposable diapers with GaryWear PUL covers and Abena AbriFix stretch pants. I’m still able to do everything I was able to do before I had to start wearing diapers. I travel frequently, and am very busy with work and other activities. While diapers feel awkward at first, they will become second nature very quickly. The key is planning: Supplies, changing locations and hygiene are critical to successfully living with incontinence.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next