www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Devastated!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:12 pm 

Thanks for the info, Matt. I was wondering if anyone can post the link for diaper primer? I don't know where to find it. I'm so confused reading about plastic pants tab-style diapers vinyl pants etc. I will continue with pads for as long as I can but I want to be prepared for the worst case scenario.

I'm wondering if hormone replacement therapy would help? Any women out there with experience?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:06 pm 

Welcome to the group! This group has been a blessing in coming to terms with my own incontinence. I have been where you are now. I have run the gauntlet of tests, treatments etc.. what I thought the cause was and a treatment that DID work, for 4 years, until..it didn't. I hate to say this, but my incontinence started out like you describe, and progressed to the point where i wear ( but not use) tabbed style briefs 24/7. But I do have some control.. its just i wear the briefs due to the fact I'm a man, and pull ups are not designed for men due to our anatomy, not to mention I need all the capacity i can get for the occasional morning deluge. Those are lovely :roll: . It does get better over time as far as coming to terms with it. Take it from a guy who's had to deal with it all over again after getting dry for 4 years. As far as wearing protection, once you get used to it and come to terms, it really doesn't matter what you wear. Wearing a pad vs wearing a pull-up wouldn't make you less incontinent. I hate to say this, but it sounds like you really need to get the max protection you can get, and then you have a few favorable days, taper down to the pad. I've so gotten used to wearing diapers I can't even remember what regular underwear feels like. I go about my day with confidence BECAUSE I wear protection I trust. Think about this: What is worse? Wearing a pull up (or even a tabbed diaper if you need it; they make them cloth backed so no one can hear, and if you wear you pats a size up no one can tell at all) and being protected, or wearing pads and being surprised by Niagara falls. and ending up with wet pants?

Hang in there, and don't be afraid to ask questions. We are here to help.

Caveat: Please see your doctor ASAP. They will answer your questions most effectively. And don't be afraid to go for tests for OAB. They may seem unnecessary but they may rule out serious causes like neurological disorders. Incontinence can be a side effect of a million different things, some of which could be cancer, multiple sclerosis, or diabetes. Those 3 are definitely ones you want to rule out. If it is just OAB, then there are treatments available. There are medications and if those don't work, biofeedback can help (it did for me, for a time) and I'm undergoing a treatment right now called Nuro. It's too early to tell if i t will work for me because I'm not done with the course of treatment. Speaking of which its time for my appointment.

pe
Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:53 pm 

Here you go. http://www.incontinentsupport.org/primer_index.php

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:04 pm 

Thanks, I have read some of the primer now and I'm a little less confused :?

Sociologygeek, good luck with your new course of treatment! I hope it is successful for you! I know, I worry about the Niagara Falls scenario especially after a night out drinking - beer really does a number on my bladder - but I love it! I don't want to give up all the things I love. I'm going to stick with the pads for now. Usually my output is of a very small volume as I don't drink loads of liquids during the day. Just those nights on the town I have to bring a change of pads. If you have time after your appointment, please describe biofeedback to me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:37 pm 

ic girl if you are to scared to change while out on long day read what you can on that primer and look in to getting with a company that ships to your home and give them a call and if you can buy from them go for it i have told you the one i use but that one my not be best for you but a person needs to find different products that work for them i have like 3 for me that when i order each month and they say they are out of one i can go for one of my other 2 and still feel safe to go out i to dont like to be changed while out so i have stuff that i use to try not to need changed while out and i have ones i use here at home for overnite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:40 pm 

icgirl wrote:
Thanks, I have read some of the primer now and I'm a little less confused :?

Sociologygeek, good luck with your new course of treatment! I hope it is successful for you! I know, I worry about the Niagara Falls scenario especially after a night out drinking - beer really does a number on my bladder - but I love it! I don't want to give up all the things I love. I'm going to stick with the pads for now. Usually my output is of a very small volume as I don't drink loads of liquids during the day. Just those nights on the town I have to bring a change of pads. If you have time after your appointment, please describe biofeedback to me.

Happy to do so! It involves training and awareness of your body signals and is usually coupled with pelvic floor excercises. It did wonders for me the first time. I was dry for 4 years. The second time not so much. With my ADHD its hard to remember do do something every day, and if my control is depenent on me remembering to do something, its not likely to succeed. So, it may work better for you than it did me. If you do decide to try it, be vigilant about the exercises.

I understand with sticking what you know. But, unless it's alcohol, please don't cut back on liquids to the point of dehydration for the sake of being drier. In fact, cutting back too much defeats the purpose.. if you are dehydrated your urine is concentrated and MUCH more likely to be irritating to your bladder. I also understand not wanting to give up beer. I used to drink alone quite a bit.. more than what was good for my life, but now i mainly drink socially. I never considered myself an alcoholic, but it was to the point of causing concern. I, like you do like my alcohol. Favorite drink is whiskey and coke.
I also refuse to give up coffee. For my early morning teaching job (waking up at 5 to teach at 6; I teach online English as a Second Language to children in China), coffee is a necessity.

Any other questions feel free to ask. In case you ever have really bad rashes, Calmoseptine works wonders. It can be found in the incontinence section of any Walgreens.
Peace out!

Rob

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:33 pm 

First, I was even younger when my issue started. I was 26 years old, my incontinence stemming from a head injury I suffered in Iraq. It sucks to need diapers at my age, but the wife stuck around. For what its worth, if he is the man you think he is he'll stick around. Good luck, and consult your doctor!

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:43 pm 

icgirl wrote:
I'm reluctant about going to a doctor about urge incontinence. The reason why is they often run a battery of unnecessary tests that involve a lot of poking and prodding and pain. It is expensive too and at the end the tests do not help with the problem. This is my impression of doctors

I am sorry you are going through this but I can assure you that you can do ANYTHING you want to while living with incontinence it may take some planning and some clever tricks but YOU WILL find a way that works for you! swimming, spa all of it! Trust me its EASY to say and in reality, it can be easy to do, the really hard part is breaking that barrier, but that barrier is in your mind! and YOU WILL break it someday I guarantee it!

As for the Doctor that is really the most important step to getting relief! some kinds of incontinence can be treated simply and if you dont ask you won't know! yes, many people won't find that easy fix but even still Incontinence does not have to limit you and you WILL find a way to be "normal" it may be a new "normal" but it does not have to be a bad one!

you are not alone!

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:54 am 

Sociologygeek, have you tried Suntory whisky? It's so good you can drink it straight. Check it out next time you're at the liquor store (it's Japanese)! Alcohol is a bladder irritant but we have to have fun in moderation. It is so encouraging to hear your positive story! I bet you're going to be successful with controlling this condition as you have been in the past. I was not sure pelvic floor exercises were effective but now you have me interested.

I don't dehydrate myself. I just don't believe we really need 8 8-ounce glasses of water a day. I think it depends on the weather and the level of activity you participate in. On hot, humid days when I'm traveling I drink tons of fluids b/c I can tell my body needs it and I feel thirsty. I just sweat it out and have low urine output luckily on those days.

I'm now exploring the use of topical estrogen. Hormones have to play a role in all of this. As we age, our hormones decrease and people have all sorts of problems including incontinence, UTIs, and kidney stones. I know I'm a chronic UTI sufferer and it is linked with low estrogen. Low estrogen also causes urogenital atrophy in women. Any women want to chime in? I've been doing a lot of research and I have high hopes that estrogen will control the problem at least. I've ordered a bottle of estrogen cream and can't wait for the shipment.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:11 am 

Realworldic, thank you for your words of encouragement. I really truly am feeling better. You're right, I can do anything still with the right preparation. Like yesterday I wore a pad just in case and went out the whole afternoon/evening catching up with an old friend in a park and incontinence was not even an issue. I have high hopes for topical estrogen to control the problem. Also, I'm very sensitive to certain beverages like coffee and beer. If I cut back/eliminate these offenders, I have minimal troubles with overactive bladder/urge incontinence!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next