www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UTI
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:55 pm 

Have any of you gotten a uti?
I contracted one somehow (I’m 30s, male anatomy) this last week and it’s been absolutely horrific. The pain has been ongoing since Monday and every time I pee it feels like needles poking through me. I’m on cranberry juice and azo, and now an antibiotic from the doc. But it doesn’t seem to be getting any better. I feel like I need to pee ALL THE TIME. And when I do, only 100-200ml comes out! Sometimes little tiny clots come out as well which has me worried - although it’s much less today than 3 days ago...
any tips for surviving this? How long on antibiotics before it gets better?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: UTI
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:56 am 

wwboy,

Have had UTIs and hate them. Call your doc immediately - don't wait. If you wait and it gets worse you could endanger your urethra and kidneys. You should have shown significant improvement by now.

Your Doc may have misdiagnosed. Did your Doc send a sample for laboratory testing or just assume it was a UTI? For example, one time I had a prostate infection rather than a UTI. First doc did not check the lab results. Different doc caught it and noted that different antibiotics were required.

Good luck.

--John

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:13 am 

A possible UTI can make procrastination lethal. See a doctor, preferably a urologist, pronto, and, if that fails, or the office makes you wait, go to the nearest ER. I have had several UTIs over the years, and they can be awful.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:51 pm 

I had my first big UTI in March and it was brutal. Sparing the details, a bout of diarrhea in diapers resulted in an E-coli UTI. Long story short, after a couple days of high fevers, my doc sent samples for testing and put me on the correct antibiotic, and after the second dose there was marked improvement. I agree with the others, call the doc and let him know what you are doing isn't working.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:05 pm 

Thank you for your replies. I called the doc and they found out that the antibiotic wouldn’t help with what cultured. After just 2 doses on the right stuff, I feel like a whole new person. Wow. What a terrible stretch of days.
I am getting better now :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:17 pm 

Glad you are feeling better! Make sure to take probiotics with the antibiotics. Those things can do a number on your GI tract

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:25 am 

wwboy, that is very good news. It was a good thing that you did not wait. Even our docs make mistakes from time to time.

--John

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:16 am 

wwboy

The last UTI I had was awful so feel your pain. I was put on srong generic antibiotics and a sample sent to the lab to check that the antibiotics were correct. The pain was awful only way is surve was to hang on to the roller coaster. Drink plenty of water double what you would normally as this reduces the concentration of the urine and once this starts going through the system helps the pain too. As Justej has said if you can take food with the antibiotics yoghurt helps antibiotics work more efficiently. Don’t forget to finish the course otherwise your body will build resistance and the next time you have a UTI will be more of a challenge for your medical team. Change your diaper lot more regularly or better still air out when possible with the diaper as a chair pad to catch discharge.

Take care it might not feel like it but with your medical teams help you will get better.

Greenbank

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:26 pm 

greenbank wrote:
wwboy

Drink plenty of water double what you would normally as this reduces the concentration of the urine and once this starts going through the system helps the pain too. As Justej has said if you can take food with the antibiotics yoghurt helps antibiotics work more efficiently. Don’t forget to finish the course otherwise your body will build resistance and the next time you have a UTI will be more of a challenge for your medical team.

Greenbank

Thanks for your feedback. I’ve been on the new drug for a couple days now and I have a couple days remaining. I feel more or less back to normal. But as you say, I’ll definitely finish the prescription. It’s amazing how quickly the RIGHT stuff went to work. With the first stuff, my pain just kept increasing and symptoms worsening. I even started to see blood clots in my urine which was terrifying. One night last week, I was contemplating waking up my wife and asking her to take me to the ER because the pain was so bad...just agonizing. I took the advice to drink more water; but every time I peed it was so incredibly painful. The end of my urethra just throbbed and throbbed every time I went to the bathroom — and every time I would only get out like 100ml or so... I constantly felt the pain of having a full bladder - but I had no idea if it was full or what.

It’s a scary and uncomfortable and painful place to be in. I have no desire to go back to that! Mercy. This whole thing has reminded me of just how fragile we are as humans. Health is an incredibly valuable and priceless gift that you only really appreciate when it’s threatened. I know some of you live that reality every day. It’s good to be back to (relative) normal.