www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:48 am 

So I thought I'd start this thread in hopes of getting input from others about things they have found that works well when dealing with pul pants.

I wash mine in the washer with mild detergent (I just throw them in with my other clothes) and hang them to dry. If I need them on short notice (the next day) and I'm not doing laundry or don't have the money for the machine I'll hand wash them with a bit of the same detergent and hang them up to dry and they are ready to wear the next day. On one or two of my pul pants the waist band has come apart (both leakmaster and Garywear) has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how I can prevent that? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:13 am 

All of the pul pants or (any cover for that matter) break down over time, no matter what they are made from, I wash the pul pants the same way you do , maybe just hand washing might preserve them longer but honestly, the Garywear have been the longest lasting covers I have ever had ( also the most comfortable) but that's just my opinion and experience.

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:15 pm 

realworldic wrote:
All of the pul pants or (any cover for that matter) break down over time, no matter what they are made from, I wash the pul pants the same way you do , maybe just hand washing might preserve them longer but honestly, the Garywear have been the longest lasting covers I have ever had ( also the most comfortable) but that's just my opinion and experience.

-------------

I agree to that. However, I do not use PUL pants becase the brands I've tried are not durable and are more difficult to rinse and dry. Vinyls (such as Gary brand) and rubber pants are easily rinsed and wiped dry in minimum time. Perfect for travel.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:49 pm 

John1050, I agree that for travel that a good vinyl pant (like Gary) is best for travel due to the wash/dry issue. However I can't agree with you on the durability of PUL pants. I've got 6 pair of Gary/Leakmaster pull-on and side-snap PUL pants that I wear most days and every night for the last 3+ years and they are wearing like iron with virtually no signs of wear. I rotate using them and machine wash them in warm water with regular detergent and then I hang them to dry. The non-PUL pants I've had (not Gary though) haven't held up nearly as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:23 am 

another vote for the Garywear Pul Pants.
I have a 7 Brief rotation that I wash Weekly and the current set of 7 is going on 2 years now.
just machine wash with normal Laundry and hang to dry.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:34 pm 

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking maybe I should order one size up. I have a few of 3xl (I've been having trouble with the 2xl). The plastic pants that were given to me seem to be holding up ok and they are 2xl. Hmmmm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:40 pm 
Admin

I think I mentioned this before but I still have my original garywear pul covers from 5 years ago. I don’t wear them everyday. I rotate them. Wash them on delicate, hang to dry. Still going strong. Threads aren’t even coming out. I bought them from adultclothdiaper.com.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:59 pm 

Schoppy gave me some snap pul pants (not sure of the brand?) and some plastic pants. All 2xl and I've had no problems. I don't know what I'm doing wrong with the others but I have a plenty to rotate so maybe rotating them will fix the issue.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:41 am 

I have 6 GaryWear PUL pants that I wear with disposables. My oldest pairs are about 2-3 years old and are still going strong. I wash them in hot water, run them through two cold water rinses, and dry them at high heat. I use a "free and clear" (of fragrances, softeners, and dyes) detergent (usually All or Sun) and 3/4" cup of 20 Mule Team Borax in the wash water. Also, I select the "large load" water level, as opposed to the auto-fill option so that the diaper pants and diapers move freely in the tub.

Also, I have 15 Snap-EZ pocket diapers: the outer shell is made of heavy-duty PUL. Snap-EZ recommends using a hot water wash and a high-temperature drying cycle when washing their diapers, as the heat will sanitize and "seal" the PUL. While Gary has different instructions for washing and drying their GaryWear PUL pants, I have not had issues with using the hot wash and dry technique. I usually wash pocket diapers, inserts, and PUL pants together.

PUL is designed to withstand high temperatures.