www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dubai Help
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:03 am 

Hello all, looking for a bit of advice.
Recently found out I will be travelling to Dubai in the near future for a few days. First time really travelling since being diagnosed with urge incontinence and if I am honest the idea makes me quite nervous.
I have searched the boards and found a few bits of advice regarding travelling but would appreciate and other tips or hints.
I am concerned about a few items which I will list below.
1. Airport security I know this has been covered in many topics but it is a huge worry to me.
2. Coping with the heat in Dubai whilst also wearing protection any tips or hints for this?
3. Any experience with what incontinence products are easily available in Dubai and where to order/buy?
4. Worried about accidently leaking in hotel on bed (I know a small worry but keeps coming up in my mind)
5. I will be spending the odd day sightseeing and was wondering if anyone has any experience on what toilets are like for changing? are disabled toilets available without a key etc?

Normally I wear Tena Slip Plus on a daily basis but thinking of perhaps moving to either their Super or Maxi for the trip or is this a silly idea? or perhaps you lovely people have a brand you would suggest that is easily available in the UK.
Look forward to your responses.

Post subject: Re: Dubai Help
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:08 pm 

have you googled for this to see what can help i know here in states if you tell them at the desk they will go put a rubber sheet ( for lack of better words) on the bed for you sorry i dont have much help to offer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:10 am 

My embarrassment levels are too high to ask them to put a waterproof sheet on the bed. I wish I had the confidence to do so but I don't.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:02 am 

Hi Drippy

Some airlines will allow you to take an extra bag for medical supplies for free they can only contain your diapers no other items not related to a medical issue just ask ahead of time. Asking the hotel ahead of time for a matress protector is embarrassing the first time but remember you are not alone in dealing with incontinence so the request is probably made more often then you may think and most hotels appreciate the request to protect the mattress. and having to ask for a matress protector ahead of time is way less embarrassing then explaining a leak and why you didnt request a protector.

Hope you have a good trip

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:48 pm 

Drippi,
If you go to the section here on the board about buying diapers internationally and to the topic "buying diapers internationally" Tewi writes about buying diapers in Dubai. The link to that page is: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1848&start=60 His comments and photos are on down towards the bottom of page 7. Looks like it should be no problem. If you are worried about any leaks on the hotel bed, be sure to wear some type of waterproof pant over your diaper at night. You could also bring one or two bed pads. Let us know what you decide and how the trip goes.
Gary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:44 am 

Thanks for the tips and the link to buying in Dubai. I will only be there for three days so think I will take enough supplies to last to save on panicking but it is always goof to know they are around.
My other worry is wearing protection in such high heat any tips or tricks that will help?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:32 am 

Hello,
Just wondering if anyone has anymore hints, tips or advice. As the departure date gets closer I am becoming more and more nervous which is a shame because the whole trip should be a great experience and I don't really want it spoiled by my leaky bladder. Look forward to your response.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:33 am 

In higher temps I would recommend changing more often and stay hydrated.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:19 pm 

I live in central Florida and during the summer I usually switch to a cloth-backed diaper. I don't know if you plan on wearing plastic pants but if so I would highly recommend the Leakmasteer side-snap PUL pants. The PUL pants are a bit cooler than regular plastic pants and the side-snaps allow a fair amount of air circulation. I haven't noticed any odors due to the side openings so that shouldn't be a problem.