www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Right Pad Size
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:51 am 

Hi Guys!

It's been a while since I visited this site, and almost 5 months since my incontinence began. So I'm still searching for the right size pad for my needs. 95% of the time I am dry. There are just a couple occasions when I have had leakages usually following large quantities of liquids (e.g. large smoothies or several beers).

I am still experimenting to find the right pad size for my needs. So far I have tried Always Pads which I am nervous about b/c if I do have a rare huge spill, I'm always scared these will fail me and lead to an embarrassing situation. Then I tried DynaDry Supreme pads from NorthShore which give me confidence but are too huge for my needs! They are basically like a diaper but in pad form. Is there any in-between product anyone can recommend? Tena pads for example? I am curious about Tena and if it is a step up from Always. I've never tried Tena.

Please share your thoughts. Thank you!!!

Post subject: Re: The Right Pad Size
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:19 am 

Icgirl,

I can only give you advice on what I went through before deciding to quit worrying if my guard would handle my floods. Since the male anatomy isn't aimed in one direction all the time it and the male guards just don't cover enough area, I used to always worry. it wasn't till I had a bad leak running down the inside of my leg that I threw in the towel. It might be too much, but the ability to live a semi worry free life when it comes to leaks is worth it. Still worry about the other stuff,(noise when changing, being a male carrying a bag into buildings and having people look and wonder, disposing of them in public, etc; which is a different subject) but not about the leaks. The added plus is if I can't get to a bathroom immediately I know my brief can handle another accident.
Unfortunately that is the male side of it and not from a women, but finding what works for you even if it is a little too much is better than not enough protection.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:24 am 

Have you thought about Always Discreet or Depend for Women pull-ups? They are very thin/discreet and would hold at least one "accident". Some of them even have feminine designs printed on them and look a lot like regular underwear. The only down side I see there is the cost, probably somewhere in the $.60-1.00 each range which is a good bit more than a pad. Even though it might be a bit of a waste on dry days it should reduce your anxiety to near zero. That alone might be worth the cost.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:55 am 

Thanks guys. Yes it is better to be overprotected than under, that is true. I've tried the Always Discreet Boutique but they also seem like too much for my daily needs. I'm a petite person and the Always Discreet underwear peaks out from my waistline when I bend over (not too discreet)! Tena heavy regular size pads look like they give more coverage than Always pads (they have a figure 8 shape) and they are also curved to hold liquid like a cup. I think these might be superior to Always but I think it's hard for you guys to give your input b/c you're men and have not tried these particular pads. I do appreciate your responses though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:41 pm 

Update: for anyone that's curious, particularly women, I have tried both the Always Maximum Long pads and Tena Heavy Regular pads. Both seem very comparable as far as protection goes. The Always Long are slightly longer. Tena are made from a softer material that almost feels like cotton against the skin - extremely comfortable - and are slightly wider. From Amazon, the Always came out to $0.30/pad. Whereas Tena, with shipping included, came out to $0.46/pad. In my next order, I might try the Tena Intimates Ultimates which are more costly at $0.76/pad (when there's no discount). The Ultimates are for heavier surges and are longer at 16" so I might save them for a special day when I hit a brewery. :P

I just might create a spreadsheet to track all the products I've tried!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:51 pm 

Over time, manufacturers change their products, and our bodies and circumstances change. This make flexibility and experimentation a continual necessity. Although I am glad you found pads that work for you, do not assume this will be a permanent solution. Good luck and keep in touch.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:23 pm 

Hi Icgirl, my wife uses the tena intimates and while they are ridiculously priced online and at incontinence stores, they are extremely affordable at Walmart, costing roughly ,36 each.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tena-Inconti ... /471831766

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:27 am 

OMG Tarlton! Thank you for the link!!! I wish I saw this post earlier. I just ordered from Tena's website which, as you mentioned, is ridiculously priced. I'm going to make a note on my spreadsheet to purchase from Walmart in the future. I hope the Tena Ultimates provide the confidence I need w/out the bulk!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:28 pm 

You might be able to cancel the order. Also keep an eye on CVS or Walgreens ads. Sometimes they will have a good special also.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:07 pm 

icgirl you need to check this out more that wal mart thing you may have to order them off the site to get them as the tena are not on shelf at local store but on the other hand if you order over 35 dollars i think it is you have your choice of 2 day ship to pick up at your local store or have them brought right to your door i have not tried anything like that stuff yet but i do order my food on line pay for it print the order off and send home aides after the order works great and i dont have to send them out with money or even my food stamp and pay cards anymore