www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:55 pm 

cough cough wrote:
I have been wearing incontinence pads for such a long time since childhood I have become desensitised to them so I don't feel much embarrassment or shame. I don't know if its because I live in a care setting with other people with disabilities but nothing is said. I could have my pads proscribed by the NHS but don't feel confident wearing cloth backed pads which they only proscribe so choose to buy my own.

Btw I still get pe nappies from the NHS. Id expert slips, though I'm seeing my CA next week and seeing if Tena Ultima are available, no biggie if not as the IDs are great though apparently they are phasing out the plastic backed nappies sadly)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:57 pm 

I used to just wear Tena from when I was a child to about 4/5 years ago. I remember them coming in white and blue packaging then they went to the complete blue packaging. I remember them being good back then. Now my trust only proscribes Tena Slip cloth backed pads and I hate them, they make my legs chafe so I've ended up purchasing my own plastic backed Molicare. I also bring my own when I'm admitted to hospital because all Notts Trust do is the crappy Tena Slip cloth backed and they are always the Supers. I see the community nurse from the CLDT. They are good but can't do anything about the brand of pads. I'm lucky I'm able to purchase my own. It comes from my account at social services financial department separate from my care budget and they organise everything for me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:07 pm 

cough cough wrote:
I used to just wear Tena from when I was a child to about 4/5 years ago. I remember them coming in white and blue packaging then they went to the complete blue packaging. I remember them being good back then. Now my trust only proscribes Tena Slip cloth backed pads and I hate them, they make my legs chafe so I've ended up purchasing my own plastic backed Molicare. I also bring my own when I'm admitted to hospital because all Notts Trust do is the crappy Tena Slip cloth backed and they are always the Supers. I see the community nurse from the CLDT. They are good but can't do anything about the brand of pads.

Ha ha! Same here. I'm 41 and been wearing all my life (switched from terry nappies and plastic pants at age 8 to Peadouce Slippads, and then at 14 Tena Slips but they were white and silver in those pre-pink days for me!

When Tena went crap a few years ago I switched to Moli and they were great, I really liked them but they did the same thing as Tena! Grrr... I've not tried the new ones yet though.

I was in hospital in Milton Keynes the other week and they has plastic backed nappies but Attends only and I've always found them a bit crappy but they were preferable to the 'textile' Tenas they also had. They did the job though once I had to double-up (medium with a slit down the middle under a large to guarantee a good night's sleep).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:33 am 
Admin

Once I was at a department store and standing in line with several other people at the customer service counter. I was with my kids. I had to return an item. Anyway, my stomach was acting up. I soiled myself while waiting in line. It was silent but I wasn’t taking nullo at the time. It smelled really bad. It was incredibly embarrassing. People started commenting on the odor, but couldn’t figure out where it was coming from. I just wanted to run away. I returned my item, gathered my kids, and quickly left. It was terrible. That was probably the most embarrassing incontinence moment that happened to me. I bought nullo after that. I take it religiously and have not had a repeat despite chronic bowel incontinence.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:36 am 

zip nill null nada nemo

No experiences -- real, imagined or contrived.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:13 pm 

I've had 2 experiences that some would consider embarrassing, but due to the maturity of those involved, turned out to be a non-issue for me.

The first occurred a few weeks before I retired from the Fire Department. I was changing my diaper in the restroom and either forgot to lock the door, or it didn't lock all the way. In either case, it wasn't locked. Just as I was positioning my new diaper to tape it up, one of the fire/medics walked in. Despite quickly backing out, he saw everything. I finished changing and went back to my office as if nothing happened. A few minutes later, he walked past, so I stopped him briefly, apologized for not getting the door locked, and told him I would appreciate his discretion. He assured me it was fine and that he wouldn't say anything. To my knowledge, even though I'm retired now, he hasn't told anyone about it.

The second incident was when I was talking to the chief at a neighboring department about helping to cover some shifts while he had a guy out on injury. I told him of my situation, knowing that it could affect my ability to respond (though momentarily). I assured him that no one in the general public would be able to tell I was wearing protection, etc. He was completely understanding and told me no one else on the department needed to know. All good, right? Well, as I was leaving his office, I had an uncontrollable flood that leaked down my left leg. Normally, I wear dark pants, but took a chance on Khakis that day. I noticed him looking down and realized there was a growing wet spot on my leg. We exchanged pleasantries quickly, and I left. I've worked several shifts there since, and he hasn't brought it up.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:27 pm 

The one major thing I can think of is one time I took my anti-anxiety meds to try to help me sleep. Apparently it made me black out and I walked over to my neighbors in just a tshirt and diaper and asked for a cigarette. I don't remember this at all. The next day she asked what I was wearing the night before and I had no clue what she was talking about until I put the pieces together. She never mentioned it again and I certainly didn't bring It up. I'm sure she told my other neighbors but that's out of my control. I haven't taken those meds since.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:40 pm 

5bugles wrote:
I've had 2 experiences that some would consider embarrassing, but due to the maturity of those involved, turned out to be a non-issue for me.

The first occurred a few weeks before I retired from the Fire Department. I was changing my diaper in the restroom and either forgot to lock the door, or it didn't lock all the way. In either case, it wasn't locked. Just as I was positioning my new diaper to tape it up, one of the fire/medics walked in. Despite quickly backing out, he saw everything. I finished changing and went back to my office as if nothing happened. A few minutes later, he walked past, so I stopped him briefly, apologized for not getting the door locked, and told him I would appreciate his discretion. He assured me it was fine and that he wouldn't say anything. To my knowledge, even though I'm retired now, he hasn't told anyone about it.

The second incident was when I was talking to the chief at a neighboring department about helping to cover some shifts while he had a guy out on injury. I told him of my situation, knowing that it could affect my ability to respond (though momentarily). I assured him that no one in the general public would be able to tell I was wearing protection, etc. He was completely understanding and told me no one else on the department needed to know. All good, right? Well, as I was leaving his office, I had an uncontrollable flood that leaked down my left leg. Normally, I wear dark pants, but took a chance on Khakis that day. I noticed him looking down and realized there was a growing wet spot on my leg. We exchanged pleasantries quickly, and I left. I've worked several shifts there since, and he hasn't brought it up.

Yikes.......that’s mortifying........

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:57 pm 

My only instances of embarrassment were from my perception of my issues, and not anything that actively happened. The police served a warrant at my house for a person who rented the place before I bought it. It was the middle of the night, and I wasn't wearing anything but a diaper. My wife hadn't moved in yet because hte construction dust from last minute repairs mess with her asthma. So when I didn't answer the door (deep sleeper here) they "let themselves in." They searched in my closet, because I could've been hiding the person there, and found several bags of diapers. I was mortified, they were professional. When I gathered the paperwork about the sale, they apologized and the next day their sergeant drove by and apologized again. He even suggested an upgrade to my door, since the city was paying for it. In the end, the embarrassment was worth the new security door! :P

Marcus Aurelius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:14 pm 

Ive had instances both real, imagined and times where no one said a word but i knew they probably smelled something...

On 3 separate instances ive had studetns comment on the diaper. Two saw it directly and asked.. and one said that people said I did. That was mortifying.

No one said a word but one time i was working 3rd shift at walmart, i had my diaper suppplemental taped(Confi dry, atthe time they made weaker tapes) ad it was taped around my waist and i had the sudden painful cramping bowel urge. I couldnt get it off to use the toilet. It was either endure the pain or use the diaper.. so i took the latter option.. and had to work durng it.. oh my gosh how embarassing.. thankfully no one said a word but i knew they could smell it.
I had a cocounselor walk in on me while i was changing.. not sure if i had a diaper in hand or not. Also was working at walmart when someone walked in on me, note to self make sure door is locked
One really embarassing incident was when i was visiting the special needs camp in 2014, had a confidry leak on me, went to change and the diaper got gel EVERYWHERE. Te idaper i tried to tape on wasnt working. so i had to leave andd get another diaper.. the worst part is someone else was using the stall after i left the first time so they probably saw and wondered what hte heck was over the floor. Mortification city!
I crapped myself at lowes, and had to inconvinence my brother his wife and my nephew.. they had to make comments about the smell.

I don't think ive posted this, but had a leak at walmart recently. was wearing a pocket diaper at the time, and checking out records in electronics. Felt a wetting come on thought no biggie.. im protected.. all was well until I looked down and saw wet spots on the floor. I got out of there fast! Told a maintenance guy, You might want to clean this up, don't ask me what it is, but you might want to clean it up. Actually, i was quite proud how i handled that and was only minorly embarraased.
If I think of any more ill post em.

"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!" - Captain Picard from Chain of Command, Part II