www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:27 pm 

I've had probably 10 minor events but the 3 that spring to mind are

1) at 6th form college a friend who I confided in told a few people and it spread. A girl I really liked was creeped out and had fancied me before. I've not been in a relationship since. 25 years later. :(

2) At John Bell Croyden (chemist in London with ok incontinence section) 10 years ago a young woman who worked there was talking to a young couple in that section. I waited patiently to ask for some medium tena slips and she was showing the 2 the giant nappies and cracking all sorts of jokes "people actually walk around in these not just soaked but full of crap! Sick", "I bet loads of them suck dummies and wear rompers too!", Etc

After a minute she looks at me and I ask if she can help and politely apologies and says she's on her lunch break talking to friends and calls a colleague over. Luckily she was more helpful!

3) about 7 years ago I was staying on the coast. I sat down a table for breakfast at my regular holiday cafe, had a chat and ordered. Shortly later I heard muffled laughs and turned around already sensing I was the cause. My hunch was right so I felt around the back and realised that my trousers had gone very low. I had recently switched from tena to molicare so they saw a large amount of a big pink nappy under a thick pair of Suprima clear plastic pants. I guess they thought I was kinky or whatever. I ate and left as soon at I could but felt so awkward for 15 minutes.

All in all nothing to cause PTSD exactly but in an ideal world incontinence would be as embarrassing as having a broken arm or diabetes, not at all in other words

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:31 pm 

I have been wearing incontinence nappies on and off since I was 12 (More on now). I can honestly say I haven't experienced any bad experiences.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:19 am 

I've had one pretty embarrassing moment. It was when my Wife's best friend (a neighbor) was over for morning coffee and I walked into the kitchen to get my coffee wearing just a thin sweat suit. I guess my morning diaper was pretty full and she remarked in a fun way that I had "quite a bulge down there". My wife and her friend giggled, but the worst was when my Wife added, "Yeah, you better go change that soaked diaper". I know I turned beet red and then just turned and hurried out of there to go change. When i came back down to the kitchen to get my coffee they acted as if nothing had happened, but I think I was still a bit red in the face. The only saving grace here was that my Wife's friend was one of our few friends that already knew about my incontinence and my having to wear diapers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:45 am 

Cough Cough is exceedingly lucky never to have had any embarrassing moments related to his need to wear diapers. I experienced a surgical mishap when I was 14 years old that seriously affected my bladder control. I’m 75 now. So I’ve had to deal with issues regarding my incontinence for many years. I have never been reliably dry at night since the surgical mishap; and the risk of bedwetting as well as instances when it occurred seriously affected my ability to establish and maintain intimate relationships. I’ve been in diapers 24/7 for the past 30 years or so; and my need to wear a diaper during the day as well as at night has also sometimes been an issue. Incontinence often leads to seriously embarrassing situations. But I’ve become rather “thick skinned”, and others finding out about my condition is something that I’ve learned to deal with with much more equanimity than used to be the case. Being incontinent in my seventies is also much less shocking to other people than was the case when I was younger.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:56 pm 

I have been wearing incontinence pads for such a long time since childhood I have become desensitised to them so I don't feel much embarrassment or shame. I don't know if its because I live in a care setting with other people with disabilities but nothing is said. I could have my pads proscribed by the NHS but don't feel confident wearing cloth backed pads which they only proscribe so choose to buy my own.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:23 pm 

I have had a few. Thanks to this forum I vented here about them and the same things had happen to others. Still unnerving when it happens to you. I have posted the link to them.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1763

And

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1573&hilit=+Ups

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:59 pm 

I order from Dorset Nursing supplies in the U.K. and although my all-in-one pads are way cheaper then other retailers and they are reliable they always post them out in the products own boxes with the name written all over it and sometimes the box is ripped showing the packets. I now have a delivery every 2 weeks as before which every month because they tape all 3 boxes together and they become heavy to bring in the house. The same delivery guy always delivers them so he knows what they are. I think sometimes he gives me funny looks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:25 pm 

cough cough wrote:
I order from Dorset Nursing supplies in the U.K. and although my all-in-one pads are way cheaper then other retailers and they are reliable they always post them out in the products own boxes with the name written all over it and sometimes the box is ripped showing the packets. I now have a delivery every 2 weeks as before which every month because they tape all 3 boxes together and they become heavy to bring in the house. The same delivery guy always delivers them so he knows what they are. I think sometimes he gives me funny looks.

DPD dropped an Allanda parcel ay my neighbour's house. She's a district nurse and a mother of 5. She knew what was in there. But she's cool (like most from the looks of it despite 'our' paranoia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:38 pm 

SeanInSlips wrote:
cough cough wrote:

DPD dropped an Allanda parcel ay my neighbour's house. She's a district nurse and a mother of 5. She knew what was in there. But she's cool (like most from the looks of it despite 'our' paranoia

I have used Allanda in the past and have always found them reliable but they don't stock the pads I like so don't use them anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:50 pm 

cough cough wrote:
SeanInSlips wrote:
cough cough wrote:

I have used Allanda in the past and have always found them reliable but they don't stock the pads I like so don't use them anymore.

Yeah, same here. After 5 years away from Tena (after 20 with!) I've switched back - the active fit Ultimas are astonishing and incontinenceshop.com are great value for them. Plus they have a physical shop a few miles away from me when I forget to reorder on time (ie almost every time!)