www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:14 pm 
Admin

I take Lithium for my bipolar disorder. It interferes with my thyroid which is a very important gland in the neck that regulates the metabolism. You can’t live without it and have to take supplements in its absence. I have recurring hyperthyroidism which is not good. It makes me sick. However, the lithium maintains my stability and I cannot stop taking it. So, in a joint decision between me, my wife, and my endocrinologist, I’m going to have my thyroid completely surgically removed. The surgery will take about 3 hours and will be done under general anesthesia. Risk factors include the surgeon damaging the nerves in my neck or my vocal cords. If this happens, I could lose the ability to speak. I will be dependent on thyroid hormone replacement therapy for the rest of my life. This is all so much to deal with....I’m so tired of it all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:08 pm 

Don, sorry to hear all you are having to go through. Hopefully, you will not suffer the side effects mentioned.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:11 am 

All the best to you. I really hope you get a good result and you look back in time and know you made the right choice. You take care. 4wheeldave.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:05 am 

Hi Don

sorry to hear you need to have surgery to remove your thyroid hope all goes well and you recover quickly from the surgery.

Rob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:57 pm 

I pray all goes well. That is a terrible rock and a hard place situation. I am so sorry you have to make that choice. I echo everyone’s sentiments that you get through it ok and that the side effects are minimal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:22 am 
Admin

Thanks for all the positive thoughts. With all the trouble it’s giving me, I’m actually looking forward to having it removed. My hyperthyroid effects my heart rate and blood pressure. I’ve been recording a pulse between 100-120 resting. And BP around 150/105+. Makes me feel edgy and hot and clammy. I take medication for hypertension. But my thyroid is making it work extra hard. On a positive note, I called my surgeon and his office said I don’t have to have a catheter if I didn’t want to. The surgery is 2-3 hours. They said I could wear my Abenas.