www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:11 pm 

Hi!

This might sound like a stupid question, but I bought diapers with a PE-backing, which I am unused to. And now the problem is this: I know that the blue tapes are meant to be used for positioning and the white tape tabs are supposed to be opened if need be. However, the issue is that it is very hard to get a snug fit on the first go -and if the blue tapes are positioned wrong they cannot be opened. It'll rip the PE. And if I stick the white tapes further over the blue tapes, they stick to the plastic and opening them for toilet use or any other reason becomes impossible. :? So, how am I supposed to find the perfect fir on the first go? Is it just practise and error? Because this problem isn't there with "cloth backed" disposables. Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:43 pm 

it took me some trial and error to find the "sweet spot" for positioning, and I still miss it occasionally, especially when using a diaper that has an elastic type waist and I forget to fully extend the elastic before taping it down. There are also times when I don't have a good grip on the blue tape and it slips out of my hand and sticks where it lands. At those times, I use the white tape and know I'm not going to be able to change it. Despite all this, I still prefer the plastic backed over cloth backed, as once you find the proper place to tape it, they stay in place much better than the cloth like ones, at least for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:53 am 

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=910

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:53 am 

As 5bugles has said, you have to experiment to find the correct position for the tapes or "sweet spot." Once you find your sweet spot you should be able to get it right every time. I cannot remember the last time I had to retype a diaper because I taped it wrong.

Many diapers have visible marks that you can use as "targets" in order to then position pin the tapes the same way each time. Look for lines, name labels, the edges of the absorbent mat, the marks you can see in the plastic from the standing leak guards, etc.

Practice in front of a mirror to learn how to tape to your "targets." Then pay attention to the angle of the tapes and how much tension you are applying. You then should be able to tape the diaper "by feel" in a public restroom without the benefit of a mirror and get it right the first time. :D

--John

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:11 am 

I know many here don't like purchasing diapers from basically an adbl site, but if you can get over that issue, there are companies that provide a diaper that has a large landing zone that does not require dual tapes. They can be repositioned each time you release them, and in a different area if need be. Bambinos, and Rearz offer that kind of diaper. You can also get all white ones which I do. They are a little more expensive, but are comfortable, more absorbent, and easy to manage.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:54 pm 

The reality of using most plastic backed diapers is once you tape it up it's hard to re-adjust, these products really are designed to be taped up used and thrown away. the products with double tapes allow minor adjustment if the tape still lands on the blue first layer or one (1) readjustment if you need to place tape outside of the blue layer. With practice you will become an expert and KNOW where you need to tape to get a good fit, For me with over 30 years of wearing briefs it's NO issue! You will find that each product fits differently so you will have to do some trial an error everytime you try a new product. There are now a few other options, some manufacturer like Secure and Unique Wellness among a few use a "landing zone" this is a large speacial plastic patch on the front of the brief that allows nearly unlimited re-taping as long as the tapes land in the "zone". people either like the landing zone style or not as they feel different. The other option is going to a cloth-like backed product that use hook and loop fasteners modern versions of these products have superb tapes for re-adjustments.

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/VCUBeUd

realworldincon@gmail.com
#realworldic on Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:02 pm 

Thanks for your answers, everyone! I think I'll stick (pun intended) into these once for night-time or emergency use. These are too difficult for me and I wasn't careful enough in reading those product descriptions. Ah, well...

Anyways, thanks for your insights, as always.