www.incontinentsupport.org

Support for dealing with incontinence
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:58 pm 

I think this may be useful for the rest of the community.
I wear the diaper for urgent "can't make it" situations or when holding it in is too painful.
However there are many times when I still use the toilet. I use the toilet for bowel movements and I will also see if I can urinate if I have a mild urge and I am near a bathroom.
My solution is that most premier diapers (Abena, Confidry) have the blue tabs with one adhesive that sticks to the plastic of the diaper. The tape can also be removed from the blue tab. I will remove the tape from the blue tabs and tape it back on itself so that it can be re-taped. When I am done I adjust my diaper and retape it back to the blue tab.
I always wear boxer briefs above the diaper and a plastic pant above the boxer brief so the tapes are not under significant stress. I can understand that if you are only wearing the diaper, the tapes will come apart.

For those of you who wear tab diapers but also use the toilet, what do you all do?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:25 pm 

If using the toilet, I normally un-tape only the top tapes so I can push my diaper down, then re-tape over the blue tapes and keep going. Like you, I have found that some products, though they have the blue tapes, don't hold well once the tape is removed. I don't like wearing underwear or plastic pants over top, so I just avoid diapers with tapes that don't work for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:45 am 

Even though I tape my diapers on fairly tight at the waist I can carefully "wiggle" my diaper down and use the toilet normally when necessary. The first time I tried it I was surprised that even with my rather large rear it was pretty easy to lower my diaper without popping a tape or destroying it. There's a good bit of readjusting things when pulling it back up but this process does work surprisingly well for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:08 am 

one of the reason I like the cloth like Northshore Air supreme is the retapability of the velcro tabs.
for those occasions when a toilet is available in time for an arising need it is quick work to get that down and out
of the way. while I need the brief for urine ,,the #2s are mostly taken care of via a morning program or caught in time.
if not for a destructive rectal surgery years ago I would not have any need for a bowel program.
the issue with the clothlike briefs sagging is taken care of with a gary activwear covered with a boxerbrief and onesie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:25 am 

You could also keep a roll of clear hockey tape in your backpack or pocket to retape your diaper after using the washroom, the shinpad tape works great and helps hold the diaper snug again and is easier to carry then ductape

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:59 am 

I'm with Padded and Robert. As I routinely reinforce the tapes on my diapers, the "wiggle" method works for me and the tapes remain secure when I pull it back up. However, in my backpack I also carry a few inches of duct tape wrapped around a small section I sawed off of a pencil in I need to repair the tapes or cover a hole in the plastic.

--John

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:38 am 

Great idea on the hockey tape, @Robert! Another tape I've found that works well on plastic backed diapers is Tyvek tape for house wrap (it happened to be handy one day while working in my shop). Not really practical to carry a whole roll of it around, but maybe rolled around a pencil, as JD suggests.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:28 pm 

Great tip about having a bit of tape on-hand to repair a damaged diaper or ripped tape tab. I'm going to have to add some to my On-The-Go emergency diaper pack.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:09 pm 

wiggle method works for me also. I also carry tape in my change bag also in case the tabs tear.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:14 pm 

I usually avoid the plastic backed diapers with the “double tape tabs” I prefer cloth backed for their breathability and they’re ability to be refastened. I make the toilet pretty much all the time but leak for 20 minutes or so after (usually until it’s time to go again.....I’m going 20-30 times a day) I like the Tena Supers they are very good for this.