Switch to full style
Post any comments, remarks, ideas, observations, experiences, concerns or questions here.
Post a reply

It never gets easier yet it does

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:47 pm

I ended up in the er last night and had to have a nurse change my diaper. I said "sorry I know
This isn't fun"' "he said i do this every day. No biggie "

I'm going to have to get used to being changed because
I may be getting a personal care assistant because my doctor is worried about my balance and me falling.

So yea

Re: It never gets easier yet it does

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:02 pm

It's something they are trained to do. As much as we hate saying we can't control our bodily functions they know you wouldn't let them if you could. I can think of grosser things they have to clean up like projectile vomiting that goes everywhere or blood everywhere. Sorry for the image

Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:01 pm

As a retired registered nurse I see things different than non medical people. It is not a big thing for a nurse to change a diaper. I worked for 35 years as an RN and I have changed diapers on a lot of people, both men and women. It is “just another day at the office”. Please try to not let it bother you, as it is not a bother for a nurse.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:43 pm

Thankfully, I haven't yet needed someone to change me, but there have been several occasions when a health care provider has seen me in diapers. Whether my urologist, nurses, or the staff at the CT scanner, no one has batted an eye, or even brought it up. As a retired Paramedic, even in the prehospital setting, dealing with people's medical needs (including diapers) is just part of the job. While I am certainly not looking forward to the first time someone has to change me, I hope that I can accept the help as graciously as so many others on this forum do.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:17 pm

I really don't think you need to worry that much and believe me it is a whole lot easier to have someone help you out then to do it on your own. My wife takes care of all that.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:32 pm

"Yes" to all the above. It is "no biggie" to a health care professional, but when I was in rehab I tried to show that I did not take my carer for granted and always said "thank you." It was a much bigger thing for me than for my carer. We also have to adjust to accepting care when we need it.

--John

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:31 am

My fear on those occasions when I have needed assistance, is that any sexual impropriety could be implied, leading to yet another "Me Too" moment. So far, I have been so helpless that this has not been a problem. But it is a worry.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:41 pm

As you can see from my signature I am a retired nurse, I worked for 35 years. As a man in nursing (I never like the term “male nurse”) I never had a “sexual impropriety” moment. Yes, I changed diapers on men and women, and also had to wash them during the change. It was just part of my job.

Please do not be embarrassed when a medical person cleans you and changes your diaper. We are just doing our job. Yes, I know you are exposed and feel vulnerable however there is nothing sexual when we change someone. We would rather change a diaper than have to change the sheets.
Post a reply